The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

did I hear correctly taht the PRS SS new colors/maple are limited to 500 pieces total?

Played a John Mayer Fender strat last night.
I can grab it used for 1500. Is the Silver sky $1000 better? I was looking into them and with tax it gets to be like 1490.

I'm think John Mayer thinks so.
If you are paying full MAP for any guitar find a different dealer ( IMHO )
You can get a used Silver Sky for just a few $100 more than what the Strat is listed for and a new one with a warranty for quite a bit less than a $1000 more.

Just pre-ordered this...CANNOT WAIT!
ffe71453-3ed8-4f17-af31-9d535c8ef3cf.jpg

I ended up grabbing one after all, albeit at a bit of a premium to other retailers. But with the limited number in Canada, gotta just go for it!

Whelp - just had my Nebula order cancelled. The retailer I bought it from told me on the phone it was in stock when I ordered it and I stopped searching elsewhere after I received the "order received" email.

I'm so sad. :(

That's a bummer, sorry to hear. I can't speak to their specific case, but lots of retailers were completely unprepared for the demand.

That is such bad luck, not to say very frustrating for you. Very poor show by the retailer concerned.

Care to share how much of a premium you paid?

Going rate in Canada on Silver Skys is $3000 CAD, which is what I paid for my Dodgem blue. A few retailers had the Nebula at $3400, but I had to pay $4000. They mentioned the low supply and high demand and that they wouldn't be price matching competition. I understand that for sure. Just a bit unfortunate.

Ah well... just money, right? :p

Going rate in Canada on Silver Skys is $3000 CAD, which is what I paid for my Dodgem blue. A few retailers had the Nebula at $3400, but I had to pay $4000. They mentioned the low supply and high demand and that they wouldn't be price matching competition. I understand that for sure. Just a bit unfortunate.

You'll probably be able to sell it for much more than that if you wanted to

I hear you. IMO there's no difference b/w you saying you want to pay that premium b/c you love the color in the SS, and someone else saying they want to pay a premium for a Core or PS. We each place an inherent value on the things we choose to pursue, and if lots of other folks didn't happen to agree w/you on this one, it wouldn't have been priced for that much over "sticker" in the first place. I wouldn't, but only b/c it's a righty. If I found a lefty? I'd start a bidding war to get it. :D

Either way, early congrats on your new guitar!

Are the SS guitars priced higher than other bolt ones because of John Mayer’s name?

also, do you think this will become PRS best selling guitar of all time when they’re said and done?

Are the SS guitars priced higher than other bolt ones because of John Mayer’s name?

also, do you think this will become PRS best selling guitar of all time when they’re said and done?

Doubt it would sell more than the Custom 24...

Well, the trick is to figure out what is considered "when they're all said and done".

If PRS can keep pumping out CU22/24s, Silver Skies, and 594s because there is constant demand, then they will never be "all said and done". Much like how F & G keep rolling out Classic and new variations of their iconic models.

IMHO, the greatest threat to PRS's legacy is long term senior management and temptations of buyouts/mergers, say 20 or 40 years from now. The next 10 to 20 years should be pretty darned glorious, IMHO. I really look forward to the 50th anniversary, for example. I might even be retired by then!

Well, the trick is to figure out what is considered "when they're all said and done".

If PRS can keep pumping out CU22/24s, Silver Skies, and 594s because there is constant demand, then they will never be "all said and done". Much like how F & G keep rolling out Classic and new variations of their iconic models.

IMHO, the greatest threat to PRS's legacy is long term senior management and temptations of buyouts/mergers, say 20 or 40 years from now. The next 10 to 20 years should be pretty darned glorious, IMHO. I really look forward to the 50th anniversary, for example. I might even be retired by then!

I just hope to still be alive!

Back