The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

But then the cost is prohibitive...so selling is how I get the funds to move 'up', if you follow me. ;)

Of course, selling 2 for 1 leaves room for one more down the road after a bonus or raise, right?

When will these new colors be available?

You're a wise man!

The new colors are shipping in limited quantities, but they should become more available in the coming weeks.

Might not be a popular opinion here but as one of the fortunate few who was able to pre-order the Nebula I would prefer if they kept the run limited to 500. I have no plans to resell but was really excited when I saw the color and chose it primarily for that reason. All this buzz about it has made me even more pumped for my purchase and feeling lucky to be part of that special limited edition owners club ☺️ I’ve been wanting a Silver Sky for several years and am so happy I was finally able to pick one up.

Any Super Eagle owners on here that want to weigh in? I’m guessing they feel the same way regarding the limited run.

I have one of the 1957/2008 limited runs. It was originally announced that this was the only way the 57/08 pickups would be available. Ultimately, PRS expanded their availability. There were some people who were upset about the expansion. Me? WTF am I to keep something that good out of the hands of others. I was totally unfazed by the expanded availability. If more people love having them and are making music with them, so much the better.

Very torn.
John Mayer is my all time guitar hero. I love the midnight Rose finish, and the wife said I could get one...IF I sell other guitars to pay for it. I have a standing agreement with her that I only have 6 at a time.

my inventory:
1966 SG jr
PRS S2 singlecut standard in limited color (avatar)
Fender American original 50’s tele
Squier classic vibe 60 strat with fender pure vintage 65 pickups
Taylor gc3 acoustic
Eastman ac322ce acoustic

I don’t know what to do

New wife. Problem solved.

So, if I may ask, what is the daily output of SS guitars?

I play mine on 10. Not daily, but...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/264606498404

Wow, look at that price. Just get a private stock, or several cores. Other than being ridiculous, I would be surprised if they do not eventually reissue this color or another with a similar pain job.

Ahhh, ebay. I remember back in the day when I would go there to find things I was looking for and hope to get a good deal in an auction.

Now it's just another sales website, full of "Buy it Now".

We make about 90-ish guitars a day in Maryland. That includes S2, CE, Silver Sky and Core models. The actual mix varies.
Do you have numbers on the PRS best sellers?
Like hwich ones sell the most, etc?

We make about 90-ish guitars a day in Maryland. That includes S2, CE, Silver Sky and Core models. The actual mix varies.
90 a day? So assuming the factory operates 250 days a year (might be a bit ambitious), that is 22,500 guitars per year.

While on the one hand that seems like a large number of guitars, more than even Markie could buy, I bet it pales in comparison to the F&G production rates of their peak production. I wonder how many US-made F & Gs are made per day/year currently?

90 a day? So assuming the factory operates 250 days a year (might be a bit ambitious), that is 22,500 guitars per year.

While on the one hand that seems like a large number of guitars, more than even Markie could buy, I bet it pales in comparison to the F&G production rates of their peak production. I wonder how many US-made F & Gs are made per day/year currently?

Yes but Paul doesn’t have a big fine to pay in the UK!

So he may expand (the factory Alan!).

Especially as Lee Anderton told him they can sell another 4500 SS Nebulas!

stupid question: Would hte Silver Sky QUALITY been on par iwth CORE, or more with CE/S2?

None are bad, but where does it sit in the lineup? It's kind of it's own thing.

stupid question: Would hte Silver Sky QUALITY been on par iwth CORE, or more with CE/S2?

In a NAMM interview from this year, the PRS rep said most of the cost savings come from time savings on the carve, and subsequent hand finishing needed. The rough figure given was the S2 McCarthy body takes about 1/2 the time to CnC then hand sand then the full arch top. He did not give a neck time but said the cheaper multi piece necks are again faster to carve, and the thinner pieces of wood are cheaper in general. As for the hardware, from the CE upwards, all guitars use the same basic hardware short of the hand done stuff for custom and private stock.

So in theory, the SS quality should be the same as the core line. The flat top, simpler carve, bolt on style multi piece neck, and painted solid finishes account for the lower price, not the quality. It is all about time and hand labor.

The Bolt-On guitars are their own thing. If you check the website, they’re not in the “Core” section, but are certainly upscale, Maryland made models that get a lot of attention. Core-ish. :) Either way, my SS hangs on the same wall with my Core 513s and 594s. It’s core worthy.

I’ve always believed CE was core quality. It just happened to have a bolt on neck. My SAS is certainly core quality. I consider the SS to be the same.

The Bolt-On guitars are their own thing. If you check the website, they’re not in the “Core” section, but are certainly upscale, Maryland made models that get a lot of attention. Core-ish. :) Either way, my SS hangs on the same wall with my Core 513s and 594s. It’s core worthy.

I think you nailed the two most important things Rick, in no particular order:
- Bolt ons are their own thing, and high quality MD models
- You, as an owner, place a value on them equal to your "other" cores.

+1,000,000 interwebz

I think with the way SSs are selling, 500 Nebulas was a miscalculation and disservice to SS fans by PRS. I want one badly. So now I found a painter that can do this paint and may get one refinished. Moreover, I will have money saved next year ready for a new limited color and will contact a dealer a week before and send the money ahead of time to secure one with the option to not buy it if I don’t like the color. Apparently Mayer likes to do limited colors which I love.

Back