The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

Whelp - just had my Nebula order cancelled. The retailer I bought it from told me on the phone it was in stock when I ordered it and I stopped searching elsewhere after I received the "order received" email.

I'm so sad. :(

Whelp - just had my Nebula order cancelled. The retailer I bought it from told me on the phone it was in stock when I ordered it and I stopped searching elsewhere after I received the "order received" email.

That's a bummer, sorry to hear. I can't speak to their specific case, but lots of retailers were completely unprepared for the demand.

That is such bad luck, not to say very frustrating for you. Very poor show by the retailer concerned.

the scalping is insane. I feel like they should try to do something about this, like announce another run of them to come later.

the scalping is insane. I feel like they should try to do something about this, like announce another run of them to come later.
You know, it is not even close to being too late for PRS to do something like this.

"Due to unprecendented demand, PRS is expanding the run of Nebulas to allow ordering an unlimited quantity through 1 March 2020. Anyone who ordered one just because it was limited to 500 (and not because it was a great finish that happened to be limited in quantity) was foolhardy, and should immediately renegotiate with their dealer for a more mature purchase. Anyone who is already selling them on Reverb or eBay for ridiculous markups - well, go suck eggs."

The Anderton's guys even said "you could have added a 'naught' [zero] to the quantity" - i..e the run could have been limited to 5000, not 500.

Or offer a second run of 1000 in maple necks.

@Shawn@PRS ? Maybe drop a hint to the marketing/sales folks?

You know, it is not even close to being too late for PRS to do something like this.

"Due to unprecendented demand, PRS is expanding the run of Nebulas to allow ordering an unlimited quantity through 1 March 2020. Anyone who ordered one just because it was limited to 500 (and not because it was a great finish that happened to be limited in quantity) was foolhardy, and should immediately renegotiate with their dealer for a more mature purchase. Anyone who is already selling them on Reverb or eBay for ridiculous markups - well, go suck eggs."

The Anderton's guys even said "you could have added a 'naught' [zero] to the quantity" - i..e the run could have been limited to 5000, not 500.

Or offer a second run of 1000 in maple necks.

@Shawn@PRS ? Maybe drop a hint to the marketing/sales folks?

Paul’s expression when Lee said this to him was priceless!

The funny thing about the high asking prices on Ebay & Reverb for the Nebula finish is that a 500 piece run is not all that limited. I would also think that PRS would consider expanding the run like they have with some other limited guitars to meet demand. No reason to leave money on the table.

Might not be a popular opinion here but as one of the fortunate few who was able to pre-order the Nebula I would prefer if they kept the run limited to 500. I have no plans to resell but was really excited when I saw the color and chose it primarily for that reason. All this buzz about it has made me even more pumped for my purchase and feeling lucky to be part of that special limited edition owners club ☺️ I’ve been wanting a Silver Sky for several years and am so happy I was finally able to pick one up.

Any Super Eagle owners on here that want to weigh in? I’m guessing they feel the same way regarding the limited run.

Might not be a popular opinion here but as one of the fortunate few who was able to pre-order the Nebula I would prefer if they kept the run limited to 500. I have no plans to resell but was really excited when I saw the color and chose it primarily for that reason. All this buzz about it has made me even more pumped for my purchase and feeling lucky to be part of that special limited edition owners club ☺️ I’ve been wanting a Silver Sky for several years and am so happy I was finally able to pick one up.

Any Super Eagle owners on here that want to weigh in? I’m guessing they feel the same way regarding the limited run.
Not a Super Eagle owner, but I am the owner (caretaker?) of a Reclaimed Limited Vela SH. They were a limited edition guitar, limited by the source material, not anything arbitrary. I would not feel sad if PRS found more wood and released another 300 or 500 or 1000 of them.

But that's just IMHO. YMMV. Do not take if allergic. May cause head of a Golden Retriever.

Very torn.
John Mayer is my all time guitar hero. I love the midnight Rose finish, and the wife said I could get one...IF I sell other guitars to pay for it. I have a standing agreement with her that I only have 6 at a time.

my inventory:
1966 SG jr
PRS S2 singlecut standard in limited color (avatar)
Fender American original 50’s tele
Squier classic vibe 60 strat with fender pure vintage 65 pickups
Taylor gc3 acoustic
Eastman ac322ce acoustic

I don’t know what to do

Very torn.
John Mayer is my all time guitar hero. I love the midnight Rose finish, and the wife said I could get one...IF I sell other guitars to pay for it. I have a standing agreement with her that I only have 6 at a time.

my inventory:
1966 SG jr
PRS S2 singlecut standard in limited color (avatar)
Fender American original 50’s tele
Squier classic vibe 60 strat with fender pure vintage 65 pickups
Taylor gc3 acoustic
Eastman ac322ce acoustic

I don’t know what to do
Well, IMHO, the Silver Sky is going to either replace, or not, the Squier Strat. Everything else is unique enough.

Of course, I am totally the wrong person to ask, since I never sell off guitars, only procure them, so my collection is much bigger than 6.

has anybody played a SS to cover surf music or country?
I'm wondering if it can replace my tele for blues and country (sure it can cover blues) but am interested in surf tones, as well.

Surf? Absent a Jag, Jazzmaster, or Mosrite, just add ample heaps (if not an unnecessary and overwhelming amount) of spring reverb to taste.

Back