The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

Unless we have proof, then what is REALLY real is this: what we say about the artiste’s motivation behind this guitar is speculation.

This should have ended the JM motivation discussion.

However, based on pure speculation, I'd go out on a limb and say that JM doesn't need any pennies that he might get from having this new signature guitar. He just loves guitar and wants to build a legacy, he's gonna get WAY more money by whatever his latest record sales are than having a signature guitar deal with any company, that's for sure.

And BTW I don't believe artists get royalties from signature guitar sales, I've never heard anything like it.

One never has enough money. Poor strive to be comfortable. Comfortable strives to be well off. Well off strives to be rich. Rich strives for super rich and it keeps going until you are Jeff Bezos of Amazon and you can bet he has his sights set higher. If Mayer simply wanted his dream guitar, he would have just had PRS build a few private stocks for himself. But, when it gets to a production signature guitar, its 100% about making money.

This may be viewed cynical, but it is true.

This may be viewed cynical, but it is true.

That's lots of assumptions to make... Saying that everybody's motivation for everything is money is simply wrong as that is not true.

Having 40M worth of assets, he could invest some of that and make way way way more than selling some signature guitars would make. He could go into real estate as well, I mean, so many options to make money already having 40M, selling a few guitars would be the dumbest way actually LOL

What if the conversation went like this ?

Paul - So hows the Super Eagle working for you ?
John - Killer really does everything I need for the tour
Paul - What would you think of a PRS JM sig guitar down the road ?
John - Yea why not give it a shot, I'm not locked into Fender right now. I have some Ideas on what I really love.
Paul - I've got some Ideas too

2 years later we have the Silver Sky, it really could be that simple.

For me it is a cool guitar, it addresses the issues some had with the 305, DC3 as not being Stratty enough or not being able to replace the pickups easily enough.
remember the 594 was a double cut FIRST, then everyone screamed " I need this in a single cut " I want a PRS Les Paul !!!!
Well folks this is a PRS Stratocaster - Glad to have another PRS model to choose from, Glad PRS keeps trying out different models.
Even if this guitar is not for me I for one am glad they made the effort to make it

That's lots of assumptions to make... Saying that everybody's motivation for everything is money is simply wrong as that is not true.

Having 40M worth of assets, he could invest some of that and make way way way more than selling some signature guitars would make. He could go into real estate as well, I mean, so many options to make money already having 40M, selling a few guitars would be the dumbest way actually LOL

I agree with your first statement. There are plenty of philanthropists and nuns out there that give back rather than try to always get more. But generally, people try to amass wealth and popularity within their profession. JM's profession is being a guitar player, so the most prudent way to amass wealth and popularity is to produce good music and signature model guitars.

I'm not trying to be combative here.. just sharing the realist perspective with @Drew.

I agree with your first statement. There are plenty of philanthropists and nuns out there that give back rather than try to always get more. But generally, people try to amass wealth and popularity within their profession. JM's profession is being a guitar player, so the most prudent way to amass wealth and popularity is to produce good music and signature model guitars.

I'm not trying to be combative here.. just sharing the realist perspective with @Drew.

Sure, it's just a nice discussion! I'm not talking exclusively of people who are doing charity, I'm just saying that the human being is not only motivated by money.

Money is a problem we all need to deal with, and eventually more money will always come in handy, but at the end of the day, couldn't you be doing a lot more work to get more money? But you don't, right? 'Cause you wanna play guitar, you wanna have fun, you wanna catch some TV, sleep on the couch... you want to live a little. So simply saying "everybody always wants more money" is over simplifying things a bit IMO. More money is always good but most of us want to do as much as we need to get a certain amount.

I still don't think John is in it for the money with this specific move.

Oops!! This was meant to be a reply to AR’s “theme tune” comment
Loved it, had me laughing. I remember Dennis Waterman’s world domination of sit coms and his theme tunes!

I think Les taught JM everything he knew!!:D:D

Maybe someone knows something about this: There has been some talk around town here that Lindy Fralin was involved in the pickup design for the SS. Can anyone confirm this?

Back