The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

Then you pluck h... .
Sorry, not trying to be crude on this forum. Just REALLY love Fast Show and don't get to geek on it much
Still, keeping with the music theme of the forum...
Niiiicccceee!

The rising chromatic structure, haven’t played one of those since I quit the swing band!

Lindy Fralin? Really?
Weren't there Fralin's in something prior? Maybe some version of the SAS?
I think the EG series pickups were made by Lindy Fralin - but what has he got to do with the Silver Sky?

BTW: Please, please, never ever abbreviate Silver Sky with "SS" - that's really bad in Germany ;)

I think the EG series pickups were made by Lindy Fralin - but what has he got to do with the Silver Sky?

BTW: Please, please, never ever abbreviate Silver Sky with "SS" - that's really bad in Germany ;)

Someone said they heard that Fralin was involved in the JM pickups. Good point about the abbreviation .

If his interest was money, and broadening a portfolio, Mayer wouldn’t have millions tied up in a collection of watches. That’s something a person who’s into his passion way more than his money does, seems to me.

Any royalties from guitar sales are chicken-sh!t for a JM. None of us are privy to the man’s thinking.

We don’t really know what motivates other people. It’s all speculation.

The guy is offering his take on a BUSINESS model that ALL Guitar Players/Rock Stars do.

At the end of the day, everyone, including John Mayer, earns money and/or makes a living off of music and sales of guitars.

Not every guitar company, makes a winner with all of their products.. Otherwise, they would never obsolete or discontinue a model.
This includes PRS's guitars, basses, as well as quite a few amplifiers that have come and gone.

There is a standing joke about the 70's Fender Super Twin and some Riviera Fender Amps in the 80's. Those amps had every sound, but the RIGHT one!

I have 2 of the original Miras. Love them compared to the new ones. My 1st PRS I ever bought was a 1993 CE-24 Gold Top with an Alder body. To this day I still have it and haven't considered buying the "New" CE's (yes I tried them). As a matter of fact, the new CEs have very little in common with the original version. I wish they called it something else as people may never know the original version has a 1 piece maple neck, real abalone inlays, cam tuners, a better tremolo, a Carved Top, HFS/Vintage Bass pickups, etc...I never bought the Mahogany versions either. Not because they were bad, just that I love my CE.

Last edited by a moderator:
really like the guitar and would probably buy one if it was offered in some more interesting colors (fiesta red, daphne b, sfg).

ss frets should be std too, because let's face it, this is competing directly with many of Suhr's offerings.

not trying to poo poo the guitar. would love to see it be a huge success but these two things are deal-beakers for me.

ss frets should be std too, because let's face it, this is competing directly with many of Suhr's offerings.
I don't understand your point here. Are you aware that Paul does not use SS frets on his other guitars? Are these other guitars thus not considered competitive in the market? Are you suggesting that this guitar was made as a direct competitor to Suhr, and thus should have the SAME appointments as a Suhr?

I'm not following your logic here. Or is it simply that you would prefer SS frets, and choose not to buy guitars that are not appointed as such. If THAT is your point, then I get it, but it is different from your initial inferences.

Kevin

I don't understand your point here. Are you aware that Paul does not use SS frets on his other guitars? Are these other guitars thus not considered competitive in the market? Are you suggesting that this guitar was made as a direct competitor to Suhr, and thus should have the SAME appointments as a Suhr?

I'm not following your logic here. Or is it simply that you would prefer SS frets, and choose not to buy guitars that are not appointed as such. If THAT is your point, then I get it, but it is different from your initial inferences.

Kevin

You seem to be getting hung up on my use of "directly". Apologies, so let's remove it from the disussion.

After owning many models from both suhr and prs, I can safely say that I much prefer ss frets. For me, they're an improvement on all fronts and I think offering them standard on this model would only serve to increase appeal/sales. That's it. Just my 2 cents.

All I can say is I (along with AT LEAST 3 others) cannot wait for the local shop to take delivery of their First 4 SS, they ordered at least one in each color. The beauty is we know we will get quality craftsmanship, clean frets, great tones, and most importantly, consistency in them. Every guitar company in existence ( well, damn near), has made LP and Strat style guitars... forever. As previously stated, haters will hate, but at least wait til they hit the streets. I can't wait To get mine!!!

All I can say is I (along with AT LEAST 3 others) cannot wait for the local shop to take delivery of their First 4 SS, they ordered at least one in each color. The beauty is we know we will get quality craftsmanship, clean frets, great tones, and most importantly, consistency in them. Every guitar company in existence ( well, damn near), has made LP and Strat style guitars... forever. As previously stated, haters will hate, but at least wait til they hit the streets. I can't wait To get mine!!!
I’m definitely one of the 3. Only 9 more sleeps.

Kevin

Of course the guitar is a direct competitor to Suhr, whether the intention is there or not. It's an S type guitar within 100$ in price of the Suhr. So, one cannot help to make a comparison. Yes, the Suhr has SS frets. Suhr jumped on that wagon early and has used it as a prominent selling point of their guitars, to great success. If you compare the guitars, can you say the Suhr is better in regards to frets? I'd actually argue yes. When you have vintage frets, you only get so many levelings and crownings before you need to refret. Most guitars with stainless frets never need to be refretted. There are original Parkers out there that still have frets that look new as the day they were put on the guitar. But, it's still personal preference. Some folks might not consider durability to be an important factor when it comes to frets.

These guys can make anything sound bad. I've never seen one of their vids I was impressed with. That is NOT saying anything about the guitar, though.

Personally, I can't wait to see Nstuff do a proper demo. Those guys can PLAY and they know how to properly record it as well.

Can’t wait to see what the 10 Top ,Wood Library and Artist tops look like on these in the future.....

I seriously hope that this doesn’t happen. It is an ‘S type’ and they should be simple workhorses. Alder, Ash, Maple and Rosewood should be as fancy as it’s gets In my opinion. Though Im all for a nice Flamed or Birdseye maple necks, fingerboards and headstocks. Obviously JM is a Rosewood fingerboard guy as am I so I don’t see any prurdy fingerboards unless you like RW.

I think some variation in colour, kinda close to the Big F’s 60’s colour palette (inspired by) but hues completely unique to the PRS Silver Sky. Would be very cool though.

............Oh, and I’m waiting impatiently for my Tungsten, Silver Sky to arrive Down Under (It just had to be Silver for me, the very name of the guitar dictated it). I’m very Interested to see how the neck compares with my ‘63 (pre CBS) & 65’ FCS Strats.

Last edited:
The guy is offering his take on a BUSINESS model that ALL Guitar Players/Rock Stars do.

I want to be clear on this; I have experience with endorsement, product placement, rights of publicity, and artist licensing deals going back a very long time, and guest lecture on the business of music at the university and law school level.

It’s true that lots of artists are all about that business model. It’s also true that many aren’t. In fact, there are any number of artists who will not license anything for any purpose whatsoever.

Though I’ve been mainly in the ad music biz for a quarter of a century, and have worked with some pretty famous players, I still get calls from artists, ad agencies, labels, filmmakers, etc, to do this law stuff, and sometimes (though not often, because money isn’t much of a motivator for me) I say yes, depending on my interest level and my relationship with whoever’s making the request.

I’ve seen these rodeos up close, learned a few things.

Last edited:
Back