The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

Have to disagree.
There is more to this than that. He has to want to play PRS and must like the vibe from them.
This guy has so much celebrity, fame and money, any royalties from PRS are chump change.
That can't be the reason.

Or course money is the reason. Any smart business person always plans for the future and tries to broaden their portfolio. It doesn't matter how much wealth a person has. We've seen countless cases of wealthy people going broke very quickly. So, it's always best to dip your toes into as many puddles as possible.

Oh...fun Mayer fact. As I was looking up his net worth, which is about 40M, I was stunned to see he is an expensive watch collector and it's estimated those are about 1/4 of that. Can you imagine have over 10M in watches alone???? lol

Can you imagine have over 10M in watches alone???? lol

Yes. Yes I can.

I have a vintage Casio from the 80s that cost $1 from the Prestigious Wagon Wheel Flea Market. It is the centerpiece of my 80s watch collection that includes other FINE plastic tickers from:

Benetton
Coke
Pepsi
Swatch
various Calculator watches
several VOLTRON watches

Shoot, JM's 10M in watches has NOTHING on my 80's watch collection!!!! I bet NONE of his turn into robots!!!!!!!

Shawn - This guitar has 22 frets, so of course one fewer bird. But instead of deleting the owl (like usual on a 22-fret model), this guitar deleted the bird just prior to the owl (hawk landing) and included the owl. Any reason?

Or course money is the reason. Any smart business person always plans for the future and tries to broaden their portfolio. It doesn't matter how much wealth a person has. We've seen countless cases of wealthy people going broke very quickly. So, it's always best to dip your toes into as many puddles as possible.

Oh...fun Mayer fact. As I was looking up his net worth, which is about 40M, I was stunned to see he is an expensive watch collector and it's estimated those are about 1/4 of that. Can you imagine have over 10M in watches alone???? lol
I developed kind of a thing for watches last year, so I KIND of get it. I've seen his collection discussed on the horology websites. But 1/4 of net worth!?!?!?!? I'm actually surprised that his net worth is only 40M.

Kevin

A neck with a Kerf Joint? I think that is why some people won't bother at that price point when a brand new strat is less than half of the Silver Sky.

That’s clearly a minority opinion. Taylors outsell most other US-made acoustic guitars, and all of them, including their most expensive, have necks with scarf joints at the headstock and at the heel. So if you think that will hinder the guitar’s sales, you may be in for a surprise.

You can buy lots of very nice guitars for a fraction of the price of a US PRS. Always could. If PRS guitars weren’t worth it, we’d all be wasting bandwidth somewhere else, instead of on a PRS site.

The guitar is coming in at a MAP that’s a fraction of the MAP of the Core guitars. It has US hardware and pickups as well. So something’s gotta give to meet the price point.

Regardless of any of these “issues,” there’s no rational explanation for the vitriol we’ve seen.

None of the folks who’ve expressed their dearly held opinions has so much as examined or touched one of these guitars. Maybe it’d be a good idea for folks to do that before spouting off.

My guess is that the guitars will sell well, and there will be lots of the usual, “I never thought I’d buy one of these because I’m not a fan of [insert favorite complaint here], but here’s a pic of my new Silver Sky.”

That’s what happened after the hubbub died down with the SE line, the S2s, the SC, the 594, etc., etc. People love to rag on PRS.

Shawn - This guitar has 22 frets, so of course one fewer bird. But instead of deleting the owl (like usual on a 22-fret model), this guitar deleted the bird just prior to the owl (hawk landing) and included the owl. Any reason?

You are mistaken. The 21st fret bird is the usual hawk landing.

View attachment 6108

That’s clearly a minority opinion. Taylors outsell most other US-made acoustic guitars, and all of them, including their most expensive, have necks with scarf joints at the headstock and at the heel. So if you think that will hinder the guitar’s sales, you may be in for a surprise.

You can buy lots of very nice guitars for a fraction of the price of a US PRS. Always could. If PRS guitars weren’t worth it, we’d all be wasting bandwidth somewhere else, instead of on a PRS site.

The guitar is coming in at a MAP that’s a fraction of the MAP of the Core guitars. It has US hardware and pickups as well. So something’s gotta give to meet the price point.

Regardless of any of these “issues,” there’s no rational explanation for the vitriol we’ve seen.

None of the folks who’ve expressed their dearly held opinions has so much as examined or touched one of these guitars. Maybe it’d be a good idea for folks to do that before spouting off.

My guess is that the guitars will sell well, and there will be lots of the usual, “I never thought I’d buy one of these because I’m not a fan of [insert favorite complaint here], but here’s a pic of my new Silver Sky.”

That’s what happened after the hubbub died down with the SE line, the S2s, the SC, the 594, etc., etc. People love to rag on PRS.

Agreed (way back in post 107).

If his interest was money, and broadening a portfolio, Mayer wouldn’t have millions tied up in a collection of watches. That’s something a person who’s into his passion way more than his money does, seems to me.

Any royalties from guitar sales are chicken-sh!t for a JM. None of us are privy to the man’s thinking.

We don’t really know what motivates other people. It’s all speculation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that I’ve witnessed the irrational yet powerful emotional reactions people can generate based solely on internet pictures and descriptions...I can finally understand why internet dating sites and mail order bride/husband services are so popular.

I HATE Def Leppard with every fiber of my being, but for more than TEN years, my number one live guitar - did EVERY SINGLE SHOW - was a Jackson PC-1 Phil Collen Signature Model. It was just a great guitar - once I yanked the sustainer system!!!

Right before my big PRS move, I was gigging the EBMM Albert Lee HH. Never even HEARD Albert Lee (on purpose, anyway). The guitar was just a KILLER guitar that gave me the sound I was looking for at the time....

So, yeah - I TOTALLY agree.....the merits of the guitar will sell it outside of the JM factor!!!!

It’s a scarf joint...

Authorative criticisms like this pin my irony meter.

a true example of people talking crap on the internet who don't know what they're talking about. :rolleyes: I've always said that the bigger the forum is, the bigger the grain of salt you need in order to be able to handle it. I've also always said that perspective is 90% of reality. So the guy who's saying the HX/DA is overpriced and insulting the amp. maker and price, while he's currently rocking a 15 watt Line 6 Spider and his "good" amp is a VHT Special 6 might be taken a little differently than someone who's got a Dr. Z, a Two Rock and a Bogner and has rolled through dozens of other great amps. Completely different perspectives. Need to be weighed accordingly when reading their posts.

Guys playing cheap gear think everything is overpriced. People seem to forget about the laws of diminishing returns. We all decide what our tolerance level is for price vs. quality. Obviously in this forum, most are going to the top of the price/quality heep, and are willing to pay accordingly. I don't begrudge a guy who plays a Squire Strat. Why would I? This is about MUSIC, not who can buy the most expensive toys. But like Les said, I don't' get all the guys playing other things that have an immediate grudge against a guitar they have never and probably will never play. Go on with your life, and play what makes you happy. Don't hate the things you can't have, or maybe can have but can't justify the cost. The same few guys have cross pollenated every thread at TGP about the Silver Sky. Must lead REALLY boring lives to spend that much time looking for threads to bash something in.

sigh...

This was the SS thread, started by a PRS employee, where people could celebrate this new offering and make comments and even criticisms without being snarky.

We do have precedents for content in a thread like this. In NGD and Dealer threads, the actual spoken rule, first promulgated by Hans I believe, is that it the guitar doesn't float your boat, or you have something negative to say, keep it to yourself and move on to another thread.

In this case, we even have a different thread where members who feel they must push the limits of civility can post: http://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/the-unofficial-silver-sky-thread.29548/

How about saving the vitriol for that thread?

Last edited:
Back