The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

I want to compare the Silver Sky to a new Fender Professional Stratocaster that has a 9.5 radius which some say is more comfortable with its deep C neck.

The only thing I dont like about the Silver Sky is the dog tag cover on the truss rod. It would have been nicer if it said Silver Sky on it.

I compared the SS with an Am Pro and and Am Deluxe. I looove the necks Fender is making these days. They felt like a warm hug. The SS neck was instantly uncomfortable for me (which is completely personal preference), but the tone blew away both the Fenders.

The bridge pickup route allows for a swap, but the neck and middle routes do not. You'll need to open up the cavities if you want to install other pickups in the neck and middle positions.

I couldn't imagine changing those pickups. I think they're a big part of the package. I could see maybe throwing in a more powerful bridge pickup, but neck/middle are perfect to me.

Unrelated: I recently saw Dodgem Blue and Moc Sand in person. Dodgem Blue I surprisingly liked less; it's almost like a blue/green flip/flop color. Also surprisingly, I really dug Moc Sand. I thought it seemed boring in pics, but in person I think it's my new fave.

I compared the SS with an Am Pro and and Am Deluxe. I looove the necks Fender is making these days. They felt like a warm hug. The SS neck was instantly uncomfortable for me (which is completely personal preference), but the tone blew away both the Fenders.

I couldn't imagine changing those pickups. I think they're a big part of the package. I could see maybe throwing in a more powerful bridge pickup, but neck/middle are perfect to me.

I won't rush with a decision like that but it's good to know if it can be easily done without resorting to a router. It transpires it can't. :( I know I still need to play with amp settings, pick-up heights, guitar controls (and whatnot) and find out how I can make it sound to my liking.

Last edited:
Anyone know if there is way to replace those cheap ugly plastic tuners? I love how the guitar looks and sounds EXCEPT for those. No clue why they decided to use plastic on a $2300 guitar.

Yea, I agree. A $2300 guitar with cheep plastic doesn’t make sense especially being a PRS! And to top it off the volume and tone knobs are a poor quality. The numbers on mine are wearing off. I tried putting on Fender knobs but wouldn’t fit because the holes were too large. Those would only be the two things I would change. Other than those issues the guitar feels and sounds great!

I bought a Silver Sky this weekend ! Ok, at least the official Toyota color is called "Silver Sky"...and don't think for a second that the PRS Mayer guitar didn't influence my color choice.
Now I need to find a PRS license plate for the front bumper.

MzKWnhv.jpg

What are you guys using for replacement strings? I can't order PRS specific ones in Canada without paying crazy shipping costs. Are there comparable ones?

I don't feel PRS strings are particularly good quality... I use EB Regular Slinkys 10-46 with great results (specially compared with the stock ones).

Quick question for you silver sky owners out there.

Played a silver sky this weekend. I noticed when I have the pickup selector in the 4th position (bass and middle pickup activated), the only tone knob that works is the one closest to the volume knob. Is that correct? Or should both tone knobs be working for the 4th position (bass and middle pickups activated)?

This is different from the Strat I own so was just curious if the SS is intentionally wired this way. If it does I assume it is because the bottom tone knob is wired to work with the bridge pickup?

Thanks

This is different from the Strat I own so was just curious if the SS is intentionally wired this way. If it does I assume it is because the bottom tone knob is wired to work with the bridge pickup?

Yes, tone two is controlling bridge pickup only

Ordered my Horizon Silver Sky from AmericanMusical yesterday at 3pm Central. I just received a communication that it has already delivered. 1 day free shipping

I’m guessing it isn’t the most popular color from reading about everyone waiting months for others colors, but I love it! I watched John play the Horizon color in Kansas City and was hooked.

Edit: Finally got home and was able to take it out. Love the color even more in person.

HHBa30W.jpg

Last edited:
Ordered my Horizon Silver Sky from AmericanMusical yesterday at 3pm Central. I just received a communication that it has already delivered. 1 day free shipping

I’m guessing it isn’t the most popular color from reading about everyone waiting months for others colors, but I love it! I watched John play the Horizon color in Kansas City and was hooked.

Edit: Finally got home and was able to take it out. Love the color even more in person.

HHBa30W.jpg
Congrats on a great purchase!

Congratulation on your new toy! ;) Have fun!

I’m guessing it isn’t the most popular color from reading about everyone waiting months for others colors,

Actually i wanted an Horizon so bad, but i had the chance to get a Tungsten SS with the hardcase and so i took it (and i've come to love it too). But i have my eyes on two Horizon secondhand, just waiting for a price drop do close the deal.

Back