The "Official Silver Sky" Thread

Ha!!! There's really two main problems:
1) I hate, Hate, HATE playing upside down righties. Everything from the whammy bar being on the wrong side, the buttons and switch being in my armpit, and having to drill a new hole to hang the strap is such a HUGE PITA.
2) I *did* just buy that Dallas head, so need to proceed cautiously...
Life’s too short to deal with PITA bread - I’d much rather have sourdough :D

Life’s too short to deal with PITA bread - I’d much rather have sourdough :D
Nom nom, I'm sitting here eating my blueberry bagel while I type this...

Good point! Although, I've seen pics, but I haven't seen a tone report......:p
Because it's too much of a beast for me to tame yet! I've never had a 50w head, so it's blowing me out of the water while I try to play with it. So far I can say it's a beautiful piece of gear, responsive as he11, and I've been doing homework on the Ox... :D

Because it's too much of a beast for me to tame yet! I've never had a 50w head, so it's blowing me out of the water while I try to play with it. So far I can say it's a beautiful piece of gear, responsive as he11, and I've been doing homework on the Ox... :D
There are no good bagels in the PNW - sounds yummy!

I highly recommend the Fryette PS-2 for your situation. I used one with the HXDA when I had it and it worked very well with no tone suck. Even added a nice effects loop and additional EQ.

What a wonderfully fun challenge!

There are no good bagels in the PNW - sounds yummy!

I highly recommend the Fryette PS-2 for your situation. I used one with the HXDA when I had it and it worked very well with no tone suck. Even added a nice effects loop and additional EQ.

What a wonderfully fun challenge!

I drug these comments, and my responses, over to that Amp thread, so we could continue the convo w/o further derailing this worthy thread about such a beautiful instrument!

I know compared to a Fender Professional Strat, the neck on thr PRS Silver Sky is different as well as thr headstock design. Based on the info i read, the pickups habe a little less treble.

How would you compare the whammy bar?

Would you say thr sound is closer to the Fender than the McCarty 594 is to the Les Paul? You see I habe a Fender Strat with a maple neck and im thinking about the Silver Sky in red for a different color and look. Just wondering if yku olay them side by side will thr average person hear a difference?

I know compared to a Fender Professional Strat, the neck on thr PRS Silver Sky is different as well as thr headstock design. Based on the info i read, the pickups habe a little less treble.

How would you compare the whammy bar?

Would you say thr sound is closer to the Fender than the McCarty 594 is to the Les Paul? You see I habe a Fender Strat with a maple neck and im thinking about the Silver Sky in red for a different color and look. Just wondering if yku olay them side by side will thr average person hear a difference?

Well that depends on the Strat because they vary a LOT in tone to. Compared to 62/64 era strat where the woods etc have aged well and rounded off that horrible treble ice-picky noise that strats are known for, then the Solver Sky compares incredibly well. So well in fact that John Mayer doesn't need to take his 63/64 strat ou on tour, put up with the problems of owning a vintage instrument, get all the benefits of PRS quality build and still get the sound that he wanted.

In EVERY test, where a Silver Sky has been A/B'd with 63/64 era strats, the Silver Sky compares very favourably - perhaps more useable in all positions unlike vintage strats but that's hardly a negative. I guess its close than the 594 is to a LP BUT a Les Paul varies wildly across the models and years so again it depends on which LP you are comparing too - but there is also the factor of quality and clarirty that LP's aren't so concerned with - they can get muddy but man they Rock - however I am moving away from the point.

If you like the horrible high ice-picky Strats that haven't mellowed and/or warmed over 50yrs or more, then maybe a Silver Sky will sound quite far off - nut then so does a 63/64 strat so it really depends on which strat you are trying to compare it with. I doubt any 'modern' strat compares with any vintage strat either. In fact there are modern strats that don't sound the same as other modern strats so what strat are you trying to compare a Silver Sky with??

I want to compare the Silver Sky to a new Fender Professional Stratocaster that has a 9.5 radius which some say is more comfortable with its deep C neck.

The only thing I dont like about the Silver Sky is the dog tag cover on the truss rod. It would have been nicer if it said Silver Sky on it.

Last edited:
I want to compare the Silver Sky to a new Fender Professional Stratocaster that has a 9.5 radius which some say is more comfortable with its deep C neck.

The only thing I dont like about the Silver Sky is the dog tag cover on the truss rod. It would have been nicer if it said Silver Sky on it.

Laser etching is very reasonable these days!

Just saying.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Silver Sky feels and sounds like a different instrument. The SS has a 7.25" radius which also is like the 63/64 era Strats so not only will it have a great vintage strat sound, it will also have a bit of a familiar feel to that era too. Before you criticise the Radius, check it out first because its made so well that Fret out is incredibly unlikely because everything is made and set-up to that radius. Most people, when they actually play the SS forget that its a 7.25" radius.

Before you dismiss it though, you really ought to try it...

I have a 1982 American Strat with 7 25 radius neck. I played then PRS sky and really liked it. However I have not had an opportunity to compare it to my own Strat to hear the differences

I have a guitar with a compound radius warmoth neck that frets out more than the SS.

I have a 1982 American Strat with 7 25 radius neck. I played then PRS sky and really liked it. However I have not had an opportunity to compare it to my own Strat to hear the differences

Try it! It has definitely the "mojo". I come from the latest Fender Standard Strat and it is 100% comparable (better quality in most cases. Have seen some SS that not live through the hype and some cheaper fenders that do).

Last edited:
Here's my take
The Silver Sky is indeed a 3 single coil guitar but it has a smaller neck pocket and a larger lower bout cutout, it also had a tilt back headstock.
I really swore off single coil guitars thought I found a new love in the DC3. but after playing 2 SS and setting up the trem to float I was so happy (I got 2) all 5 positions have something to say and the great Vol and tone controls ( tone on the bridge ) for me the radius is a non issue I really can't feel it , The neck carve is nice a fat and round and really easy to play.
It just works.
It won't be for everybody , but dam its a fine guitar for me

Here's my take
The Silver Sky is indeed a 3 single coil guitar but it has a smaller neck pocket and a larger lower bout cutout, it also had a tilt back headstock.
I really swore off single coil guitars thought I found a new love in the DC3. but after playing 2 SS and setting up the trem to float I was so happy (I got 2) all 5 positions have something to say and the great Vol and tone controls ( tone on the bridge ) for me the radius is a non issue I really can't feel it , The neck carve is nice a fat and round and really easy to play.
It just works.
It won't be for everybody , but dam its a fine guitar for me
Me too.

No triangle. I joking told Paul, "you know we will immediately get requests to buy the pickups?". Of course he said no.
Shawn, will the routing allow for pick-up swap? I might eventually do that and would hate to butcher my SS with a router.

Shawn, will the routing allow for pick-up swap? I might eventually do that and would hate to butcher my SS with a router.

The bridge pickup route allows for a swap, but the neck and middle routes do not. You'll need to open up the cavities if you want to install other pickups in the neck and middle positions.

The bridge pickup route allows for a swap, but the neck and middle routes do not. You'll need to open up the cavities if you want to install other pickups in the neck and middle positions.

And the bridge pick-up is the one I really like… :(

P.S.: thank you so much for your reply. Much appreciated. :)

Last edited:
Back