The lil Dragon won !

I wonder if any of the Westie o philes know what the production mix was of each color .... Seems like Black and Emerald are fairly rare , then Cherry and the natural being the most prevalent ......one of those things retired engineers ponder.
Lots of cherry. I think black and white (Sergio and I) are one off.

I wonder if any of the Westie o philes know what the production mix was of each color .... Seems like Black and Emerald are fairly rare , then Cherry and the natural being the most prevalent ......one of those things retired engineers ponder.
Lots of cherry. I think black and white (Sergio and I) are one off.
Indeed lots of "cherry" (the more dark-red looking ones, such as the one in this thread) and lots of what's called "orange" (mine is this) which really looks like an auburn-brown or an almost dark-natural finish. Those with the black and white ones indeed have rare dragons in their midst.

I’ve never seen an emerald one.

I thought there were 100 each of the three colors from the “real” run?

From the second run I’ve seen only Cherry and Natural. Those were the ones without Brazilian boards and without the baby dragon, but they still had the Sapele headstock veneer with the lil’ eagle. Pretty sure there were less than 25 of those?

Then there are the random oddities I’ve seen that are called “Santana III’s” on the hangtag and have metal foil Paul Reed Smith decals of the headstock.

One Antigua burst with hollow birds and no dragon.

One opaque black with the standard birds and no dragon.

One tobacco burst with no dragon and moons!

One crazy AF employee build with aluminum plates/pickguards and no baby dragon.

Then there’s @veinbuster’s Grey Black with hollow birds and a baby dragon, and then a similar one in Japan popped up for sale a few months ago.

And of course my white one which was a leftover, and then the following Private Stock knockoff.

Last edited:
Whilst I wait for the delivery today ... I spotted this gem ... similar vibe , but the IRW neck is a nice touch .. but , hey no dragon and 9K more !
trezxxiym6eowzaipisg.jpg

I look every day just for inspiration . As a Luthier it's always nice to get ideas from the best. The only one I'm looking for now is a DGT THIS one would do quite nicely ! And it's Local !
xwrfphqjgjb731vk0fp1.jpg

Last edited:
Carlos has been my guitar hero since before I started playing 57 years ago . I got a new 79 Les Paul Custom and Mesa Boogie as my first electric rig to get his tone. ( still have both)

So it's no surprise despite it being the last in my collection , it was the one I most wanted. I'd been trying to hold out for the Rosewood Retro , but I fell in love with the Westies when I first saw them . The natural finish ones are an almost duplicate of one I made for a local artist years ago .. same Sapele top .

I've seen a green one , and a black one .. yawn .. to me ... My current commision artist is very partial to RED and I saw this lil gem ... well the llil Dragon won my heart . I wrestled with the CFO and at 1:30 am this morning by the light of the Full Moon, I became a dragon rider ! I went to the vendor's site and it was listed for $125 under the 'verb , still free shipping .. .no brainer .

jfl4trt69gm1f73v4j2v.jpg

My favorite Westie of all that I have ever seen. This is amazing! Didn't know Sapele could look so good.

Woohoo , she just arrived .. it's NEW ! not a scratch , still has the warranty card . OMG what a beauty , the neck has flame in the mahogany towards the headstock ...delicious. LOW action , plays like a dream , great warm cleans and lordy when you kick it up , Carlos is smiling over your shoulders. Color me HAPPY !!

Indeed lots of "cherry" (the more dark-red looking ones, such as the one in this thread) and lots of what's called "orange" (mine is this) which really looks like an auburn-brown or an almost dark-natural finish. Those with the black and white ones indeed have rare dragons in their midst.
My second Westie was the brown/natural. There was no mistaking that color whilst indoors. Any sunlight on it and it looked Orange.

I normally prefer very minimal tint on figured wood in the deeper colors ( Lacewood,Walnut, Sapele, Koa, Zirircote etc ) I will say that colors within the natural range can be quite spectacular.

As I was enjoying a few hours of playing today , getting use to the neck , I believe there may be something special about this already special instrument. While the headstock shows the same gorgeous Sapele as the top, I also noticed the neck flamed on the back , heavily from about the 5th fret through the headstock ! ...

SO being a Luthier I look for the veneer seam ...all sides .... NO Evidence :) Well Sapele IS a Mahogany , the Body core is Ribbon Honduran , which looks great but totally different grain than this neck .. hmmm

One way or another it's figured mahogany , which is always a rare treat, and I Strongly suspect it's a Sapele neck. I've worked with a lot over the years and have 2 neck blanks of it as well as a billet, those will interestingly enough be put into instruments much like Westie

Last edited:
Back