NUGD Custom Soapy!

Greywolf

Luthier and Sound Sensei
OK my apologies it's not a PRS .. but it is quite a Special . ( LP Special that is) I saw this one a while back and wasn't quick enough it disappeared from the 'Verb and kicked myself for weeks.
In my early morning post gig haze .. who should appear out of the mists .... OMG ... really ... a dozen offers already .. CFO screaming in my ear STOP IT !!!!

My response .... Life is TOO short to let it slip away AGAIN!!!!... VERY unusual to see a Flame maple neck LP with P90's and this one IMHO was worth every penny. ( about the same as McCarty P90) The elegant tailpiece is made by Jason Schroeder , I have a few of them and highly recommend them .

lt2i9rei6gtyk6um5ocg.jpg

ewid8pq930o5oerxm7zx.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks ... my 44 year old LP Custom is also a Maple neck , but not flamed .. I needed a "Standard" stable mate .. and it makes for a nice Soapy Family .. Mahogany/Rosewood , IRW /BRZ , and Flame Maple/Rosewood necks .. Now I'm thinking what this one really needs to be more authentic is a Staple pickup in the neck ... no worries Seymour has a nice one ... Come on Paul ... you know you want to do a 40th Soapy ... SANTANA ... after all that's what he played at Woodstock !!

Last edited:
Thanks ... my 44 year old LP Custom needed a "Standard" stable mate .. and it makes for a nice Soapy Family .. Mahogany/Rosewood , IRW /BRZ , and Flame Maple/Rosewood necks .. Now I'm thinking what this one really needs to be more authentic is a Staple pickup in the neck ... no worries Seymour has a nice one ... Come on Paul ... you know you want to do a 40th Soapy ... SANTANA ... after all that's what he played at Woodstock !!
My PRS Soapbar won't get the Woodstock Santana tone...even with Bare Knuckle P90's.

It's not the pickups it's the guitar itself. Maybe it's too thick? It's thicker than a SG but not as thick as a LP or my Bernie Marsdens.

It doesn't sound like Santana's thin bodied, resonant, all mahogany Gibson SG Special w/P90's...that's for sure!

Those guitars are flexible!

Absoultely .. and as he has said .. don't copy my tone .. only I have it ... create YOUR tone.. well Devadip .. You and Jerry are my tone forever inspired .

Lightweight aluminum body, stainless steel clips, and brass screws and saddles. USA made
a little clip .. not a maple neck .. but a good sound clip

Last edited:
Oh happy day .. the "3rd Sister" arrived safe and sound , it's more natural than the pics showed which I prefer on Nitro finishes. I've named her Sophia after my dear friend and Boss at the Cafe' .

There is an active thread about LP tone .. well it's here in spades .. just pick an era ... .

The neck is a baseball bat of CHUNK very old school , but it isrepro '55 LP special .. the tone that familiar P90 and suprisingly THICK, I suspect the sheer density of the neck and the RW board but it really shows none of that normal Maple neck Twang like my Special and Strat have. .. unless you hold it up to your ear .. man oh man it's in there.

The body is VERY resonant , you can really feel the notes in your tummy when you play and clean is just delicious . Gain ? give me MORE , yes , oh add another pedal .. yeah .. oh yeah ....

I can tell you the the PRS / Duncan soapars are much less noisy but the tone is there and it's hard to put down.

When I swap back to the single cut it's SO much more petite feeling .

mark me a happy man decided a nice Family pic was in order ..
3sisters.thumb.jpg.cd600246341d82b5a20d65fd3bc72d73.jpg

Last edited:
Audi: My shoes have worn thin, and I feel indigestion, I need some fresh oil!
Porsche: My too my dear, but I am sure the two legger will take care of us!
Audi: I hope so, I would hate to loose my footing because of these old shoes!
Porsche: Especially if one of his "precious" is in the boot!
Audi: Do you think we need an intervention?
Porsche: Not quite yet, but if I don't have fresh shoes come spring, there will be some splainin' to do!!!

Congrats on another great score Mr. Greywolf! Don't forget about your other needy ones ;~))

Just gave the Audi fresh oil , Service due in 2000 miles .. .I still have a bit of cushion as I only drive about 4k a year .

Hopefully my addiction will subside for a spell , as the saying goes " WInter is Coming" good time to lay down some tracks with all these new toys.

OK my apologies it's not a PRS .. but it is quite a Special . ( LP Special that is) I saw this one a while back and wasn't quick enough it disappeared from the 'Verb and kicked myself for weeks.
In my early morning post gig haze .. who should appear out of the mists .... OMG ... really ... a dozen offers already .. CFO screaming in my ear STOP IT !!!!

My response .... Life is TOO short to let it slip away AGAIN!!!!... VERY unusual to see a Flame maple neck LP with P90's and this one IMHO was worth every penny. ( about the same as McCarty P90) The elegant tailpiece is made by Jason Schroeder , I have a few of them and highly recommend them .

lt2i9rei6gtyk6um5ocg.jpg

ewid8pq930o5oerxm7zx.jpg
Nice

Oh happy day .. the "3rd Sister" arrived safe and sound , it's more natural than the pics showed which I prefer on Nitro finishes. I've named her Sophia after my dear friend and Boss at the Cafe' .

The neck is a baseball bat of CHUNK very old school , but it is suppose to be a '55 LP special .. the tone that familiar P90 and suprisingly THICK, I suspect the sheer density of the neck and the RW board but it really shows none of that normal Maple neck Twang like my Special and Strat have. .. mark me a happy man decided a nice Family pic was in order ..
3sisters.thumb.jpg.cd600246341d82b5a20d65fd3bc72d73.jpg
Oooo…love that LP Custom!

The LP Custom was my first electric , way back in '79 . It has a subtle Birdseye top and maple neck. It was my #1 for 12 years ... 12 lbs 9 oz of fretless wonder sustain . I don't play it much anymore because of the weight. While I had long before he became famous it reminds me of Randy Rhodes LP

Last edited:
I got mine because it's a '55 replica ... my birth year .. here's a real one , while I know the value of the original ..... I'm happier with mine .. they just didn't have OMG Specials back then ... or since much

Last edited:
I have a Gibson Little Lucille, much like a nighthawk. It has 25 1/2” scale and diamond fret markers. This is a great player and love the longer scale, has p90 sized dimarzio humbuckers and I put a piezo bridge and wired it stereo to split acoustic and p90’s. This is my only guitar that my wife adores and she asked me not to sell it!

Nighthawks are cool ... Every once in a while you find one , doesn't matter the price ...that just feels right, sounds right and looks right.
When that happens ... never let it go

I'd been looking at a 594 Soapy , but as I already have 2 McSoapies it seemed a tad redundant . I'm always on the hunt for some rare variant

Last edited:
Back