SUGGESTION... for Mr. Paul Reed Smith

To put all that R&D into pickups, that may just be used a couple dozen times a year, is not smart business. Thus, you will never see PRS do it. If there is some new magic pickup, its going right in the core line.

You may be right. Whether or not that works for his business model is his decision. I just don't feel that ALL the negativity towards the original poster is justified.

I understand your position and that you feel strongly about it. I just don't feel that pickup selection is subjective while the other exclusive features of a PS are objective.

Again, I am NOT in favor of petitioning PRSh for this! I really don't care one way or the other whether he would do this! The exclusivity factor of a PS or AP, while nice, is low on the list of reasons for owning one.

I don't think it's really piling on, it's really that ridiculous of an idea that's generating this response. Pickup selection is so particular to the person buying the guitar I can't see how anything can be labeled "Top Notch". I know people that don't like 59/09's and think 57/08's are the bomb. I personally like the 59/09's & 53/10's much more than 57/08's. I really like the 408's, but not so much the NF. So would that mean to me the 59/09's & 408's are Top Notch and to #@$^ with what anyone else thinks? Pickups are too subjective to call a few designs special enough for only elitists.

If he really wants special exclusive pickups in his PS guitar, wind his own design himself and he can have truly unique whatever-notch-they-fit-in pups that nobody else on Earth has.

ps. Sorry, I'm usually never this negative. I just don't like this idea so much I can't keep quiet.

Alright. This all feels like piling on, now. Why do you feel that it is OK to reserve some things only for PS guitars, but not others (like pickups)? If PRSh did decide to have an exclusive set of pickups only for the PS guitars, why would that be a problem? I'm not convinced that it is that much different than saving certain woods, inlays, bindings etc. for the PS guitars.

I don't care one way or the other. Thus, I certainly wouldn't want to petition PRSh to make the change. I just like the fact that they even offer a PS and AP program to allow guitar customization at all!

To be fair, having exclusive pickups for the PS line wouldn't be that different from exclusive options in product lines in any other field. Why should guitars be any different?

Long live the free market...... (flame away)

Kevin

Looks and tone are two different things. Not offering your best to actual musicians who usually are not the weaalthiest people around is wrong IMO. You want to sell guitars? Get them into the hands of both the best and most popular players, and get them to sound as good as you can. I could only see it hurting PRS and many people starting to go to Lollar or insert your favorite aftermarket pup company here.

Last edited:
Alright. This all feels like piling on, now. Why do you feel that it is OK to reserve some things only for PS guitars, but not others (like pickups)? If PRSh did decide to have an exclusive set of pickups only for the PS guitars, why would that be a problem? I'm not convinced that it is that much different than saving certain woods, inlays, bindings etc. for the PS guitars.

I don't care one way or the other.

Kevin, since you don't care, no wonder you feel it's piling on.

I care quite a lot whether new pickup designs are available to all core PRS buyers! As I said, I have a couple of PS guitars, and may get another, but I like the idea of everyone being able to get the best pickups, because it's more than cosmetic upgrades, etc.

Asking PRS to create new pickups just for PS models seems kind of creepy to me.

Last edited:
It's highly unlikely I'll ever be able to afford a PS, although hopefully a core PRS is in sight over the next few years. I don't begrudge people who can afford a PS at all - love seeing and hearing about them infact!

But the underlining message in your OP is that you want to be elitist and above the rest. After all, as you say, (or at least how it comes across) ,if you're spending all that money you don't deserve to have the same pups as the rest have. You're special and deserve to have Paul fawn over you... "Yes your royal highness, I shall wind these merry little pickups myself. Only the best for you Sir!"

But why stop there? You need a bridge design no one else has, tuners no one else has, etc...

I think it's a fine line. I see PS as being about having the best PRS can put out as well as something fairly unique. It is a fairly unique club. But it's about having the best of what's available. Available to everyone. It's not about stroking an ego and building something so precious you can use it to look down on everyone else and say I'm better than you.

Nothing wrong with wanting to own a unique, special high quality guitar. Trying to make out that you are unique and special because you have one is. That's where you cross the line. You have a sense of entitlement that comes across strongly in your OP which is why you have felt the collective wrath of many members including fellow PS owners.

Nothing wrong with owning a PS at all but it's not a tool to make yourself feel more superior than anyone else. Tag has it right. Why put your best out of the reach of those who would utilise it best. Those pups should be available to all... And god forbid, I may just put some in my SE... oh... the humanity!!!

Now, I do think your post was out of order but I take back my previous comment which was OTT. I disagree strongly with your OP but it doesn't deserve me calling you a wanker... at least not yet! ;)

Does anyone else agree with me?

I do.

I'm all about exclusivity, I want sh!t that other suckers can't get and there's nothing wrong with that, it makes things special... and I am a very special person.

What the hell is so wrong with being a cork-sniffer in the first place? I'm sniffin' corks every day, sometimes it's Veuve and sometimes it's Freixenet, but I still be sniffing'!!! I don't want to play what everybody else plays, otherwise I'd be rockin' a Les Paul or a Strat or something like that.

When did people start lookin' at PRS as anything less than a luxury brand? I mean, even the SE's are still pretty damn swanky compared to other import guitars, and they're designed in the same way Missioni for Target is: A taste of the luxurious life. Every couple of weeks somebody comes in and compares the "value" of other manufacturers with what PRS puts out, but they never admit to desiring that certain "je ne said quoi" that only PRS generates.

I don't care if they're re-branded McCarty Bass pickups, just slap a new sticker on the bottom, dip them in some organic paraffin wax from Washington State, put some gold covers with nickel pole-pieces and a bird on 'em and people (including myself) will want 'em.

I want to sit in the back of a Maybach limousine with some expensive strippers covered in diamond dust, playing a Gucci covered PRS, while sippin' on champagne, wearing Damaris underwear and eatin' Grey Poupon slathered finger sandwiches... and there isn't anything wrong with that.

Can someone get this thread to Paul?

Nah, he's still pissed I tried to steal his car.

I also don't agree and am surprised anyone would think the Private Stocks aren't already special enough.

In fact, my suggestion would be an antithesis and be more along the lines of bringing back the Stripped 58--but making even more "stripped"--somewhat akin to the original Mira, I'm picturing a mahogany or korina body, little ornamentation, 25" scale, a pair of 57/08s and priced a little above the S2 line. I don't know if that's feasible, but while we're throwing out suggestions, there's mine.

I'll second that nomination!

I want to sit in the back of a Maybach limousine with some expensive strippers covered in diamond dust, playing a Gucci covered PRS, while sippin' on champagne, wearing Damaris underwear and eatin' Grey Poupon slathered finger sandwiches...
Would you settle for my hatchback, a hit of Unreasonable and a Chicago pizza?

I will say that I think some of you guys were a little hard on the OP. I'll take a slightly different POV. A lot of Paul's innovations (57/08's, 408', etc) debuted on PS guitars. I'll endorse putting out PS guitars with experimental features as long as they are sound.

There's a difference between debuting on PS guitars and then winding up in the core line, and being PS only innovations.

There's a difference between debuting on PS guitars and then winding up in the core line, and being PS only innovations.

Sure, I'm not endorsing the OP's proposition, just pointing out that some good things filter down through the PS program. The people that bought the first PS signature were getting pickups not available on a core model. Were those people elitist? So the OP asked a silly question, I guess he's kind of excited about the possibilities of the PS program, I say live and let live and thinking about his original proposal, I realize there may be some positive side affects for the rest of the PRS lineup. Just my 0.02$

Back