SUGGESTION... for Mr. Paul Reed Smith

Mgamm1ll

I remember when the 57/08 pickups were a lot harder to get. Now they are on most production guitars. I think PRS should make a few different pickups (top notch) that can only be gotten on Private Stock and Collection guitars. Those of us that spend ridiculous amounts of money should be awarded you know?

Does anyone else agree with me?

Can someone get this thread to Paul?

I don't feel the need for Private Stock only pickups.
Collection guitars are house designs so if they come up with something new that's fair game, but if it is really good it would be a shame to never make it available again.

I think there are plenty of other exclusive aspects to Private Stock (colours, woods) and Collection (perny neck, knots) already.

wow.

Spec-ing out a PS isn't special enough?

You gotta have all the unobtanium for yourself and your special friends?

Uncool.

Live and let play, bro.

Don't really see the point. Aside from bragging points, what purpose would they serve? It's not going to make you (or anyone else) a better player. Some would argue that your tone is in your fingers, so having an exclusive set of pickups on a $10,000 dollar guitar may not make you sound any different than you did without 'em.

I'm inclined to say that if you have the means to order your own Private Stock guitar, that is your "award". It's already a pretty exclusive club as it is. Enjoy your good fortune, and enjoy your guitar. Why waste time worrying if someone less fortunate than you has a guitar with the same pickups as yours in it? Seems pretty shallow to me.

I think PRS should make a few different pickups (top notch) that can only be gotten on Private Stock and Collection guitars. Those of us that spend ridiculous amounts of money should be awarded you know?

As a fellow PS owner, I find your lack of evenhandedness...disturbing...

I'm not a PS owner, but I don't care for the elitist-type holier-than-thou narcissism displayed in the OP. Your guitar and it's parts shouldn't define you or make you more special than anyone else nor should you be smug about it.

I remember when the 57/08 pickups were a lot harder to get. Now they are on most production guitars. I think PRS should make a few different pickups (top notch) that can only be gotten on Private Stock and Collection guitars. Those of us that spend ridiculous amounts of money should be awarded you know?

Their are the 53-10"s, PRS #6's, PRS#7's, the 57-08 Customs in the SCMcCarty, and several others available already. You just need to ask.

"Does anyone else agree with me"? I am sorry, but I do not.

NOT Very good. Why in the world would you wish something like that? I LOVE my PSs, and feel extremely fortunate to be able to afford one. I wish everyone could have access to one, but the good news is I find the stock PRSs sound pretty much just as good. You dont need a PS to have the best sounding PRSs available. The PS program is about personalizing something to get exactly what you want. I hope like anything that they put out a production version of the Semi hollow/trem build I love so much, (And paid so much for) so people who can not afford a special order PS can enjoy them as well! :rock:

I also don't agree and am surprised anyone would think the Private Stocks aren't already special enough.

In fact, my suggestion would be an antithesis and be more along the lines of bringing back the Stripped 58--but making even more "stripped"--somewhat akin to the original Mira, I'm picturing a mahogany or korina body, little ornamentation, 25" scale, a pair of 57/08s and priced a little above the S2 line. I don't know if that's feasible, but while we're throwing out suggestions, there's mine.

I also do not agree with the premise of making the PS line even more exclusive. Rather the opposite: the electronic stuff available only via a PS order or certain specific models should be available for all of us to customize into any other PRS. The nice woods, inlays, bindings etc are what sets the PS "service" apart from the "regular" PRSi.

To, some. having a PRS is snobbish enough. I hope I never see the day when there's a secret section of the forum for PS owners only like the club@Disneyland.

Alright. This all feels like piling on, now. Why do you feel that it is OK to reserve some things only for PS guitars, but not others (like pickups)? If PRSh did decide to have an exclusive set of pickups only for the PS guitars, why would that be a problem? I'm not convinced that it is that much different than saving certain woods, inlays, bindings etc. for the PS guitars.

I don't care one way or the other. Thus, I certainly wouldn't want to petition PRSh to make the change. I just like the fact that they even offer a PS and AP program to allow guitar customization at all!

To be fair, having exclusive pickups for the PS line wouldn't be that different from exclusive options in product lines in any other field. Why should guitars be any different?

Long live the free market...... (flame away)

Kevin

To put all that R&D into pickups, that may just be used a couple dozen times a year, is not smart business. Thus, you will never see PRS do it. If there is some new magic pickup, its going right in the core line.

Alright. This all feels like piling on, now. Why do you feel that it is OK to reserve some things only for PS guitars, but not others (like pickups)? If PRSh did decide to have an exclusive set of pickups only for the PS guitars, why would that be a problem? I'm not convinced that it is that much different than saving certain woods, inlays, bindings etc. for the PS guitars.

I don't care one way or the other. Thus, I certainly wouldn't want to petition PRSh to make the change. I just like the fact that they even offer a PS and AP program to allow guitar customization at all!

To be fair, having exclusive pickups for the PS line wouldn't be that different from exclusive options in product lines in any other field. Why should guitars be any different?

Long live the free market...... (flame away)

Kevin

I don't think it's really piling on, it's really that ridiculous of an idea that's generating this response. Pickup selection is so particular to the person buying the guitar I can't see how anything can be labeled "Top Notch". I know people that don't like 59/09's and think 57/08's are the bomb. I personally like the 59/09's & 53/10's much more than 57/08's. I really like the 408's, but not so much the NF. So would that mean to me the 59/09's & 408's are Top Notch and to #@$^ with what anyone else thinks? Pickups are too subjective to call a few designs special enough for only elitists.

If he really wants special exclusive pickups in his PS guitar, wind his own design himself and he can have truly unique whatever-notch-they-fit-in pups that nobody else on Earth has.

ps. Sorry, I'm usually never this negative. I just don't like this idea so much I can't keep quiet.

Back