53/10 VS 57/08 with a P22

I'd just turn up the treble on my amp. Are you far from your amp when you play out?
No, not real far away. I keep it behind me on tilt back legs so it is pointed at the back of my head. So it is maybe 5 or 6 ft. behind me. Once I know where to tweak the knob to it could be a quick change. However, I am betting I will need to adjust the mids as well, or maybe just the mids.

I have 53/10s and they are a lower output pickup that likely would sound more dark in a traditional hog/maple guitar. Mine are in my Koa/BRW C22 guitar which likely has a brighter resonant tone than standard woods.

I have a P22 with 57/08s with a Pernie neck and it sounds fabulous. 59/09s would add more treble (and output), but sometimes can be a bit harsh/ ice pick. Sounds like the 57/08s would be the sweet spot for you.

The pickups in the P22 are a variant of the 53/10 pickups with EXP etched on them. I am finding these pickups a lot darker than the DGT pickups.

Anyone else think the 53/10s are dark?
Real 53/10s are far from dark. They were developed to capture the clarity of P-90s in a HB much like a great PAF set, and IME they do just that. I'm one who thinks they're the best set ever to come out of PRS.

My guess is that your EXP set is somehow off the mark.

Real 53/10s are far from dark. They were developed to capture the clarity of P-90s in a HB much like a great PAF set, and IME they do just that. I'm one who thinks they're the best set ever to come out of PRS.

My guess is that your EXP set is somehow off the mark.
This is right where my thoughts went after I measured the resistance of the pickups. I was thinking these shouldn't be dark at all. They are between the 58/15 LT and 57/08 pickups for resistance. I know that isn't the only measurement that matters in this. However, I think they have the same magnets. I haven't seen anywhere where someone has verified the magnets in the 53/10s. I would not be surprised if these pickups are a little different than a standard 53/10 set since they made them specifically for the Experience P22. I spent some time adjusting them last night. I didn't get a chance to plug it in and see exactly how that affected the tone. I will do that today and fine tune it. I brought them up quite a bit closer to the strings. I will get that tweaked in and then move to the pole pieces if needed.

Report for the day:
Crisis averted. The pickups were really far away from the strings. I have no idea how I didn't notice this before. They were dark and weak. After measuring them up, I set them to my starting height that I use for all of my setups. I then play and tweak from there. I spent a little lunch time playing and comparing to my DGT and Suhr. This made a HUGE difference. Again, I have no idea how I didn't notice this before and I obviously didn't do my full setup on it after I got it. I have played a few gigs with this guitar this way. Maybe that was why I started taking my SCHBII instead. I thought it sounded better. I remember thinking that back then. The pickups are much louder and brighter now. They are definitely usable for what I do now. It just took a little tweaking and zero dollars. I like it when things work out that way.

So funny thing is that I decided to raise the pickups on my DGT a little while I was doing this. I didn't like the result of that so I put them right back where they were before I raised them. Those just sound better to me a tiny bit farther away from the strings.

Amazing diversity of opinions about the same pickup! I've never tried a 53/10.

Some say "it's too dark" others say "no way is it too dark".

Maybe the pickups vary? My 57/08's sure do.

I have three sets of 57/08's in three different guitars and the DCR readings are all over the place.

None measure 8.5K and 9.4K as specified by PRS as being the proper specs.

Each set is different and even in an identical guitar with the pickups adjusted the same distance from the strings, each set sounds similar but varies in volume/output. I can clearly hear that.

#1. 7.9K and 8.27K. Very close to each other!
#2. 8.1K and 8.9K
#3. 8.4K and 8.8K This set is from 2022.

The measurements I made are with the pickups in the guitar, all volumes and tones turned full up, and a 5" George L. guitar cord plugged in the output jack of the guitar and my multimeter measuring the DCR on the plug.

Not the most accurate way to measure it but it does show the variation.

Last edited:

I have three sets of 57/08's in three different guitars and the DCR readings are all over the place.

#2. 8.1K and 8.9K
It's pretty widely known the 5708 varied over the years. The recent release is much closer to listed specs or atleast hotter than earlier. My most recent measures 9.3 or 9.4 for the bridge.

Last edited:
Amazing diversity of opinions about the same pickup! I've never tried a 53/10.

Some say "it's too dark" others say "no way is it too dark".

Each set is different and even in an identical guitar with the pickups adjusted the same distance from the strings, each set sounds similar but varies in volume/output. I can clearly hear that.

#2. 8.1K and 8.9K

The measurements I made are with the pickups in the guitar, all volumes and tones turned full up, and a 5" George L. guitar cord plugged in the output jack of the guitar and my multimeter measuring the DCR on the plug.

The 53/10s in this P22 brightened up a ton by raising them up. They sound like completely different pickups now.

I haven't measured the resistance of my 57/08s. I have them in quite a few guitars. I just know they sound different in the various guitars they are in but they all still sound similar. The ones I have in my SAS are probably the hottest ones I have. I remember them really having a punch to them when I put them in there.

Back