2023 PRS Special with 57/08 TM Pickups?

rogercanada

Has anyone come across a new PRS Special with 57/08 TM pickups In it? They should be the 58/15LTs so I am guessing the store swapped them out and never let on?

Any thoughts on how they would compare to the 58/15LTs in a Special? Not a good combo or just as great as 58/15s?

I have a McCarty 594 SC with 58/15LTs and a SC58 Stripped with 57/08 TMs, so not a Special. But the guitars I have are very similar.

The pickups are quite different, though. The 57/08s sound to me like hot and very classic sounding PAFs (as advertised). The 58/15LTs do too, but they also have their own extra flavor…I like them even more than the 57/08s. There’s some extra top end and clarity that I like. And something else I can’t quite explain that just makes them a little more special and unique, or maybe it’s just that they have less mids…I don’t know what it is. But to me they are the best.

I wouldn’t worry about it, though. A great guitar is a great guitar and doesn’t need to be messed with.

Last edited:
I have a McCarty 594 SC with 58/15LTs and a SC58 Stripped with 57/08 TMs, so not a Special. But the guitars I have are very similar.

The pickups are quite different, though. The 57/08s sound to me like hot and very classic sounding PAFs (as advertised). The 58/15LTs do too, but they also have their own extra flavor…I like them even more than the 57/08s. There’s some extra top end and clarity that I like. And something else I can’t quite explain that just makes them a little more special and unique…I don’t know what it is. But to me they are the best.

I wouldn’t worry about it, though. A great guitar is a great guitar and doesn’t need to be messed with.
Ever tried a 58/15LT neck with a 57/08 bridge?

In theory you'd get the extra clarity from the neck pickup that a lot of players prefer and the classic tone of a 57 PAF from the bridge pickup that a lot of people prefer.

I'll bet that'd be a cool set!

As it is, the 57/08 set is my favorite PRS set. But I can see someone wanting a little more clarity from the 57/08 neck pickup for some things. Jazzy chords, Steely Dan type stuff maybe....

In theory you'd get the extra clarity from the neck pickup that a lot of players prefer and the classic tone of a 57 PAF from the bridge pickup that a lot of people prefer.

As it is, the 57/08 set is my favorite PRS set. But I can see someone wanting a little more clarity from the 57/08 neck pickup for some things. Jazzy chords, Steely Dan type stuff maybe....
It is a cool set!

I have several guitars with both, new and old 5708, and couple mixed sets. I personally prefer the 5708 bridge over the 5815LT. The neck, is almost a push, but I slightly prefer the 5815LT neck. Split is absolutely fantastic. There's a little different flavor, but not worlds apart. I wouldn't kick either out of my guitar. I've found through the kemper, there are more profiles I like the 5708 neck, but with the right profile and 5815LT neck watch out! Awesome!

My SAS has a new 5708 bridge and 5815LT neck combo. My KL33 has a covered 5909 bridge and 5815LT neck combo. Both are fantastic.

If I had to pick just one or the other between the 5708 and 5815LT I'd take the 5708. They are my all time favorite PRS pickup set as well. To me new or old are both great. The old ones have a very bell like quality to them, but the new are better suited for me in an everyday guitar. More is the best way to describe them, the new actually remind me more of my covered 5909 than the older 5708, maybe somewhere in between. I've always said the 5909 and 5708 are somewhat similar, but more with the 5909. That's the new 5708 to me too.

My vote is 5708 for an all around set. They always sound great!

Edit- Not to confuse the decision, but I'll add the 5815LT split with the middle pickup in the SAS is magical. Love that sound probably more than any of my strats.

Last edited:

Actually, I might even do the opposite! I might prefer the 57/08 neck pickup because it has THAT sound.

I usually live on the bridge 58/15LT because I can pretty much get all the sounds I need with it. Just pick closer to the neck and roll the tone back for some sweeter sounds. I also often use the bridge in conjunction with the neck 58/15LT coil tapped.

Actually, I might even do the opposite! I might prefer the 57/08 neck pickup because it has THAT sound.

I usually live on the bridge 58/15LT because I can pretty much get all the sounds I need with it. Just pick closer to the neck and roll the tone back for some sweeter sounds. I also often use the bridge in conjunction with the neck 58/15LT coil tapped.

Just goes to show how we're all differnet in what we hear, how we play, what we play, and our rigs. There's not really a blanket wrong or right answer, or better or worse. Just what's right for us.

Honestly, I find the amp and using guitar controls often makes more of an impact to me than the pickups .. Sure pickups matter, and I do like tweaking out on swaps, but talking PAF varieties vs one another isn't as stark as comparing my Tremonti vs one. Once you find that perfect combo or settings for you it's amazing how a guitar can go from meh to love. That's a great feeling.

@Lew , I think that would be a great combination. The scribed 57/08 neck in my ‘11 Stripped 58 is to dark, but It’s also an early version, so there’s that…..
However, the bridge is perfect.

Last edited:
Back