P22 Pickup Problem

Stringtheorist

I purchased a used P22 around 6 years ago The previous owner had replaced the original pickups with a set of 59/09s, and until recently I had no issues with how it played. However, the bridge pickup suddenly seems to have stopped outputting full humbucking tones and appears to be locked in single-coil mode. The neck pickup also seems to have lost output but only in switch position 2 (single-coil mode). I downloaded a wiring schematic for the P22 and verified the connections; I then tried disconnecting the pickup, trimming the contacts and then re-soldering. However, it is still the same.

I am at a loss as to whether this is purely a wiring issue or whether I need to buy new pickups, and if so which ones I should get. Would it be safer to buy a set of 53/10s which I think were the original spec, or another set of 59/09s (since I know what they sound like)? Hoping someone can advise.

Last edited:
Can I follow the original P22 wiring schematic with any set of PRS replacement pickups? Some posts I read suggest that the piezo wiring complicates things.

Last edited:
If they worked well at one time they will still work well. It is highly unlikely that something is wrong with the pickups. They wouldn't just stop working, especially both of them. I would be more on a pot that needs cleaned or replaced or a switch. There could be some dirt in the switch that switches between piezo and magnetic pickups. You can get some contact cleaner and spray them and work them back and forth to see if you can clear them up.

What year is the guitar? They changed the specs on them a little over the years. None of mine have coil taps so that is a modification that was made when the pickups were swapped.

OK, so I tried cleaning the pots and switches now but no difference. I might try replacing the pickup selector switch.

OK, so I tried cleaning the pots and switches now but no difference. I might try replacing the pickup selector switch.
You may be able to jumper it in the control cavity to make sure that is the problem. I don't know if you have any jumper wires. I have a bunch of them that have little alligator clips on them that would be perfect for testing that. You may also be able to use an ohm meter to test in different parts of the circuit to see where the resistance of the pickups changes.

That's a bummer. Check the tabs on the switch for good contact too. I'd chase as suggested but would also be inclined to agree with you about replacing the switch. I'd be really surprised if it's you pickups by the sequence of issues you described..

Somebody feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but if your guitar has piezo pickup then I think one of the mag pickups needs to have magnet flipped to make it out of phase.

5909s won't come that way. 5310s or 5708s out of a p22 will.

Just from your description, it sounds like you may have lost your ground connection on your bridge pickup, or there is a buildup of solder on your switch that is shorting your bridge ground coil.

Just from your description, it sounds like you may have lost your ground connection on your bridge pickup, or there is a buildup of solder on your switch that is shorting your bridge ground coil
Thanks, I will bear it in mind when I reconnect the switch.

Somebody feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but if your guitar has piezo pickup then I think one of the mag pickups needs to have magnet flipped to make it out of phase.

5909s won't come that way. 5310s or 5708s out of a p22 will.
Thanks. That's interesting because I don't see any evidence of the pickups having been modified. Looking at replacements, 57/08s seem to have nickel covers and 53/10s appear to be unavailable as spares.

Last edited:
What year is the guitar? They changed the specs on them a little over the years. None of mine have coil taps so that is a modification that was made when the pickups were swapped.
It's a 2012. In fact, it's the actual teal guitar featured in this video. (Same serial no., same knot in the wood grain on the back.)

Thanks. That's interesting because I don't see any evidence of the pickups having been modified. Looking at replacements, 57/08s seem to have nickel covers and 53/10s appear to be unavailable as spares.
5310s haven't been produced for a while now. If you want those you'll have to go to the used market.

Flipping the magnet entails taking four tiny screws off the back plate and carefully flipping magnet then putting it back together.

You wouldn't be able to tell it's been done by looking at it.

5310s haven't been produced for a while now. If you want those you'll have to go to the used market.

Flipping the magnet entails taking four tiny screws off the back plate and carefully flipping magnet then putting it back together.

You wouldn't be able to tell it's been done by looking at it.
OK, thanks. It doesn't sound like it would be too hard to do, at least.

My 2012 P22 has 53/10 pickups in it. They are a covered pickup. It is very possible that is what was in it originally. As mentioned earlier in the thread, these pickups are no longer available so the only way to get them is find them on the used market. As also mentioned the pickups need to be magnetically out of phase with each other to work with the piezo system.

I noticed in the video that when they pulled the battery out that it looked like there was a splice in the negative wire that wasn't taped up. That could cause an issue at some point if that it the case.

I have one of these little devices that I use for testing the magnets in pickups. It is a little expensive but lets you know what is going on in about 1 second.

You could use something like this as well. It is a little cheaper.

My 2012 P22 has 53/10 pickups in it. They are a covered pickup. It is very possible that is what was in it originally. As mentioned earlier in the thread, these pickups are no longer available so the only way to get them is find them on the used market. As also mentioned the pickups need to be magnetically out of phase with each other to work with the piezo system.

I noticed in the video that when they pulled the battery out that it looked like there was a splice in the negative wire that wasn't taped up. That could cause an issue at some point if that it the case.

I have one of these little devices that I use for testing the magnets in pickups. It is a little expensive but lets you know what is going on in about 1 second.
Great; thanks for the links!

What do you mean by a "splice" in the wire?

The pickups in mine aren't the ones in the video; so I would imagine these would be the originals. If so, perhaps they weren't 53/10s?
Mine look like this:

Last edited:
Back