PRS SE pickup replacement options

Yes everytime I install pickups with a guitar that has a coil splitting option its pretty much standard to keep it that way. The dimarzios I put in for a client I put in with coil splitting. You are correct though that it has to be a 4 conductor setup.
This is exactly what I was wondering. So 4 conductor is needed. I will probably go with the DiMarzio [D Activator neck] and [D Activator-X bridge]. I will just have a tech do it. Thanks!

Last edited:
I have an PRS custom SE 24 and I was about to change the pair of pickups with a pair of Suhr's thornbuckers.
But it turned out that the width of my PRS pickups is way smaller than the thornbucker's, both neck and bridge.
I wonder if it happened to anyone here, or my prs is just a bad one...
I have a set of thornbuckers in my se custom 24 08. They were in it when I bought it and didnt know till I got it home. They sure do seem to fit perfectly.

Seymour Duncan 59 Model Humbucker and a JB Model Humbucker (bridge) keep popping up on my radar as well... bad direction?
That's the set I used in my '00 CU22 and now use in Black Bernie Marsden.

(Not going to call it my Black BM...would you?)

Great set and you can find them with 4 conductor cable.

I use the 59B as a neck pickup with the JB because it balances better with the high output of the JB.

And because Seymour uses his with a ROUGHCAST A5 magnet I replace the stock polished A5 with roughcast which rounds the sharp edges and warms the tone.

I also replace the magnet in the 59B with A4. Also ROUGHCAST. Makes the 59B sound like a DRAGON 1 neck pickup. Meaning a REAL paf from 1959.

I have an PRS custom SE 24 and I was about to change the pair of pickups with a pair of Suhr's thornbuckers.
But it turned out that the width of my PRS pickups is way smaller than the thornbucker's, both neck and bridge.
I wonder if it happened to anyone here, or my prs is just a bad one...
Sorry for the late response.
It seems that my PRS is set with 48/50mm pair of PUs.

Edit: I was a dumbass and did not measure my pickups properly. It's actually 50/52mm (or 49.2/52 as the official site says) set.
The thornbucker set is 50/53mm so I think i'll sell them :(
So for budget reason (and also my kind of music), I think I'm gonna check out some cheap chinese high output pickups.
Does anyone have experience with them chinese pickups? (Counterpart/fake ones don't count)

Last edited:
My McCarty Gold Top came with Duncan designed P90s. I replaced them with
Harmonic Design.
More articulate, smoother, better volume. I also have the Tele pickups and put Z 90s in my SG. I found the Throback Buckers too bright.
That being said, I put 3 Dimarzio Duper Distortion Humbuckers in my 2001 SE.
The cleanest sounding dual coils I have ever heard.

Back