PRS SE EG, SE 24-8 custom pickup upgrade

Malta man

I'm new to the forum and I am looking for any helpful advice on upgrading my pickups on two of my guitars I recently purchased. I have a 2005 PRS SE EG and a 2023 SE 24-8 custom. I bought Seymore Dunken High Voltage for the 24-8 and Seymore Dunken SH4JB bridge, SS-4 Quarter pound for the neck and middle on the SE EG.
I noticed there didn't seem to be any shielding in the SE EG and not sure if I should upgrade the pots and or the switch or not. They seem tight and working correctly. I ordered new wire but it all looks good as far as I can tell.

I don't like these pickups. Definitely not the Seymore Dunken flat one. I misunderstood when I bought it.

Think about Lindy Fralin’s for the SE EG, or even SE SS pickups for the EG. I always suggest leaving the stock pickups in for a month and working with them. Remember, change and upgrade are not the same.

Last edited:
What don’t you like about them?
I'm not sure why but it was really quite and muffled. I put the Humbucker on my Squire Statocaster with 500k pots and it sounds better. I haven't tried the single qp's on there yet.

Last edited:
Is there a schematic or diagram for Seymore Dunken bridge humbucker pickup for the 18-24? I'm not sure what to do with the red and white.

I'm guessing everyone on here is a purest. I have pedals and a tube amp. It sounds Nothing like that. The Seymore Dunken pickups sound way better. That's okay I'll figure it out.

I'm guessing everyone on here is a purest. I have pedals and a tube amp. It sounds Nothing like that. The Seymore Dunken pickups sound way better. That's okay I'll figure it out.
Far from purests around here. I'm with you all the way, yank those stock pickups and tweak away. That's what se are for! Make it your own. Many others here feel the same way. There's thread after thread on it. Heck core aren't even safe in my world.

I haven't commented because your pickup choice isn't anything I'd go with, and for the most part you seem to answer your own questions.

SD wiring diagrams are on their site and PRS has diagrams to match up your new color codes. I'd bet SD would even send you a schematic if you emailed them the PRS diagram. They're even more resources on here on other threads for answers that can't be found there.

Happy tweaking!

Last edited:
Far from purests around here. I'm with you all the way, yank those stock pickups and tweak away. That's what se are for! Make it your own. Many others here feel the same way. There's thread after thread on it. Heck core aren't even safe in my world.

I haven't commented because your pickup choice isn't anything I'd go with, and for the most part you seem to answer your own questions.

SD wiring diagrams are on their site and PRS has diagrams to match up your new color codes. I'd bet SD would even send you a schematic if you emailed them the PRS diagram. They're even more resources on here on other threads for answers that can't be found there.

Happy tweaking!
I thought I answered my own question. Something still isn't right with the bridge pickup. I have to put my tester to it buy I think it switches the ground on the right toggle.
What pickups do you recommend?

What pickups do you recommend?
Depends on tone desired, style of music, and budget you have.. we're all different.

The 5909 in my core Cu24 are amazing, but that's an amazing guitar that has "it" in spades. My se Cu24 Floyd has DW tomahawks and those are stellar too, very versatile with the combo magent. I've gone through tins of other pups in a Cu24. Some worked and others were better elsewhere.

I personally only care for the quarter pounder in the bridge of an SSS guitar. Also, liked it a lot in a sh6irt scale bass. The middle and neck, especially the neck as never played middle, isn't a use for me.

What I'd definitely be looking to is John Mann for a bridge mod, full or kit. I Can't get with the se bridge for several reasons.

I figured it out. I had the black from the bridge humbucker on the small toggle switch and it needed to be on the 3 way.
It sounds great.
I watch those YouTube videos and wonder what effects pedal and amp they are using. The 2005 SE EG sounds better than the 2023 SE 24-8 custom. I changed all those pickups to Seymore Dunken hot and cold rails and an Invader humbucker.

Last edited:
This is interesting stuff

Back