String gauge ?

I use mostly 10-46, but a few have 9-42. I also have the Mark Holcomb, set up with 10-52's but keep it tuned down a whole-step. Works perfect with the longer scale, feels really easy to play. I had actually put together a chart with the various gauges and tunings (normal, 1/2 step, whole step) that I use to see how much of a "pounds of tension" difference there was. Yes, I clearly have too much free time!

String-Tension-chart.jpg
How did you do these tests?

10-46 on all my PRS guitars - SE and Core. For my 25.5” scale guitars, I’ve gone to 9.5-44’s. Makes my Strat so much more enjoyable to play in E-standard tuning, and not as squishy as 9’s.

How did you do these tests?
No testing on my part, just trusted the accuracy of various numbers and charts I found online and compiled here. Hopefully they're accurate, but obviously might not be. Since most of my PRS's are 25" scale, that's what I used (except for the 10-52 set, those are based on 25.5" and tuned down a whole step).
Packages of D'Addario's have charts that give the tension, but those are for 25.5" for everything, so the numbers I have here are a little lower due to the shorter scale I was using

No testing on my part, just trusted the accuracy of various numbers and charts I found online and compiled here. Hopefully they're accurate, but obviously might not be. Since most of my PRS's are 25" scale, that's what I used (except for the 10-52 set, those are based on 25.5" and tuned down a whole step).
Packages of D'Addario's have charts that give the tension, but those are for 25.5" for everything, so the numbers I have here are a little lower due to the shorter scale I was using
I thought you had actually tested them. There are too many factors that go into actual string tension to take into account. I've done this once, but with crude methodology, but have always been interested in this with regards to actual tension, bending strings, balance of tension across all the strings, etc.

I'd love to actually see a real test of various string gauges on various guitars where they actually bend the strings to see how much tension it has and how much pressure is required to bend up a 1/2 step, whole step, etc. THAT would be really useful!

But 6 on one side (Fedner) vs. 3x3, scale, headstock angle, string break angle over the bridge, etc. all matters in actual string tension. This is why I've never been able to fall in love with a real Strat. The 6 on one side head stock just never bends right for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use 9-46 on a floyd guitar I have. 10-46 on my PRS guitars, hardtail strat tuned to Eb, and a standard tuned SG and LP. I run 11-50 on my Gibson LPs tuned to Eb standard, and a tremed strat tuned to Eb. I run 12-54 on a tele tuned to B standard.

I'm about to convert my Floyd guitar to 10s right now. Just to see how it feels.

well, I've just blocked the trem and added d'addario 10-46's to my PRS SE Abraxas. What a difference. Better tone and sustain and now playability on low E and A strings.

It’s worth mentioning that with some brands their measurements (or their QC, or possibly their packaging?) aren’t always accurate. I use 9s mostly these days (some 10s) and I often find that some 9s are often 10s!

The first time I noticed this I questioned if my fingers were, er, mis-feeling the gauge, so I checked with the digital callipers. Then I checked the callipers themselves. It could be the odd batch here and there, of course.

I’m running D’Addario 9.5-44 on my McCarty, very happy with them. 9 felt too easy and makes switching to acoustic guitar a struggle.

I’m running D’Addario 9.5-44 on my McCarty, very happy with them. 9 felt too easy and makes switching to acoustic guitar a struggle.
That same thing caused me to go to 10s on my acoustic down from 11s....ahhh these old hands.....lol

Back