Storing Your PRS Guitars

Headset

Guitarrista
So now that I have my first PRS I'm struggling to decide how to store it when it isn't actually in my hands...sad as it may be I do have to work, sleep and occasionally do things other than play guitar. ;)

I'm struggling to decide if I want to keep it safe and secure in its case or put it on a stand...What do you do and is there anything I should be wary of when using stands? Does the V12 finish react to certain materials? Is it super sensitive to normal sunlight streaming through a window? Thanks for any insight!

I keep mine on a stand in the family room ready to grab. It wants to be played. But - I have no more small children or large pets around. And I will put it away in the case if we have company that includes those two things, or if we are away for a day or more.

walrus

I keep mine in my living room and in a case under my bed. In the winter I think I'm going to grab one of those humidifying packs to throw in the case.

From what I've read, the best and safest way to store is to keep it in the case, upright. Yes, exposure to sunlight will result in fading over time regardless of the finish.

Kevin

I have mine on stands or hangers all around the house... they're kind of at risk of the occasional knick or ding but on the other hand they're all in reach...

From what I've read, the best and safest way to store is to keep it in the case, upright. Yes, exposure to sunlight will result in fading over time regardless of the finish.

Kevin

Hey Kevin,

Why does it have to be upright?

Like this...The big three: 2012 Santana, 2011 DGT, 2016 McCarty. The others are in their cases, standing up, in the closet.

sVi2Uoj.jpg

Last edited:
Do you have kids?
Do you have crazy kids?
Do you have a significant other?
Do you have a crazy significant other?
Both?

In the case. Hidden. :D

That didn't work for me. I put my significant other in a case, but she eventually got out.

It's a mix for me. The ones I tend to play most are in a stand, minus the PS, which is cased. The rest are in cases or bags, although my Holcomb and Vela make a good case for stand status. The acoustics all stay in cases.

Acoustic in the case, with a humipak. Everything else on the wall, with hangers in studs.

Mine are all out and ready to be played , I'm to lazy to open or setup anything in order to play

I keep a nice rotating assortment on wall hangers in my cave. The rest stay in their cases, except there always seems to be one floater that's on a couch somewhere in the house...

Hey Kevin,

Why does it have to be upright?[/QUOTaE]

You know, that's a great question! I should probably be more thoughtful when i read things. This was a recommendation of a Fender technician on their forum at one point. Perhaps it had to do with a bolt on style neck? ??

Kevin

Out of the case only when I'm playing them then back in with the humidipak. I live in an adobe house and the interior humidity can vary. And there's sun .... lots of sun

Yeah, my cat tries to play guitar as well. It's shocking when I hear an actual strum.
Like this...The big three: 2012 Santana, 2011 DGT, 2016 McCarty. The others are in their cases, standing up, in the closet.

sVi2Uoj.jpg
Are those lint-free shirts?

Yeah, my cat tries to play guitar as well. It's shocking when I hear an actual strum.

Are those lint-free shirts?

Those are ancient flannel shirts too small to wear and with holes in the elbows, etc. Too torn up to donate or wear, but just right to hang on the guitars on stands.

Back