Storing Your PRS Guitars

I keep mine in cases when not playing them, mainly because all rooms have temperature and humidity swings during a 24 hour period. A case buffers these environmental changes.

Also, most houses have evaporated cooking detritus floating around at various times, mingling with dust; that's part of what leaves the gooey grime on pots and switches to make them crap out.

So it's easier to maintain the guitar for a couple of practical reasons if you keep it cased when not in use. Obviously, the finish will stay nicer if it's cased, but no doubt a lot of folks don't care as much about that.

The guitar isn't going to break or fall apart if it's kept out, obviously. I don't find opening a case and taking the guitar out a big deal. Others do...more evidence, if any was needed, that we're all different! :)

In the case is of course safest, but I like mine to be visible (functional art!), so I have them up on the wall. They're in a spare room that's generally closed and they go in their cases when we have overnight guests.

I used to keep them in a five guitar rack, which works well, except for the lost floor space. I'm not a fan of tripod style stands. For gigs, I use quality A-frame stands.

I have a trustworthy family and pets, so it's common for me to have a guitar out on the couch, too. The cats don't care about guitars unless I'm changing strings. One of them likes to open the drawers on my parts bin and fish out bits of wire, resistors, etc. (hence the closed door).

Like Les said, we're all different, so what you do depends on your comfort level and personal situation.

I keep my daily players out, and the rest in their cases.
Mine are just the opposite. That's because my most played go to our rehearsal spot and it's easier to leave them in my Mono dual guitar gig bag to grab & go. The rest hang on the wall, which I feel is safer than on a stand.

Hmm, hadn't thought about it, but like vchizzle, my gigging instruments are always in a case/gig bag when not actually in use - a PRS SE Acoustic, a PRS electric, a mando, and a banjo. Plus an occasional PRS baritone, though it will find its way out of the gig bag if not gigged for a couple of weeks.

My guitars stay out, most of them on wall hangers, since I like to be inspired by them as I walk past. "Hmm, the 305 looks nice today, think I'll use that!" The most recently played ones languish on guitar stands in one or the other music room.

We have dogs, but they don't frequent the upstairs hallway where the guitars hang (also, no direct and hardly any indirect sunlight). Our kitchen exhaust fan keeps the kitchen grime in the kitchen area, and house layout minimizes chance of "drift".

But I don't have any PS PRSi - those I might keep in their cases or at least in a display case.

5-guitar rack, evaporated cooking detritus be damned.

I only have 3 stands so... rotate 3 in the stands, other 14 in the cases.

Using a 3-guitar stand myself.

A problem with my brand new SE 245 is the higher body depth compared to a Les Paul, which necessitates a custom (and costly, it seems, case)

N.F.

I keep mine in cases when not playing them, mainly because all rooms have temperature and humidity swings during a 24 hour period. A case buffers these environmental changes.

Also, most houses have evaporated cooking detritus floating around at various times, mingling with dust; that's part of what leaves the gooey grime on pots and switches to make them crap out.

So it's easier to maintain the guitar for a couple of practical reasons if you keep it cased when not in use. Obviously, the finish will stay nicer if it's cased, but no doubt a lot of folks don't care as much about that.

The guitar isn't going to break or fall apart if it's kept out, obviously. I don't find opening a case and taking the guitar out a big deal. Others do...more evidence, if any was needed, that we're all different! :)

Completely agree.

Back