Steely Dan

Level 42 is one of my favorite bands, but good luck telling your bass player he has to learn Mark King’s parts (baddest dude on the planet). And can you imagine singing and playing together like Mark King?!! Dude is unreal:
Uh… never heard them, (yet) but…. John Myung…. Just sayin’

OMG, of course I’ve heard that song MANY times, just didn’t remember who it was even though I always thought the song was good. I guess I wasn’t ever thinking of them along the lines of Steely Dan. I always thought of them as more “new wave” back when that song was popular.

Last edited by a moderator:
John’s good and so’s Billy Sheehan, but ever hear them SING while playing like that? Mark King has 2 brains.
Don’t we all wish we had two brains.

What is stressing me already is any of the solos.

Gotta step up to plate if you want to knock it out of the park.

I have keep telling myself: grasshopper you will soon learn how to fly. Lol

I also have to start learning how to record myself properly.

John’s good and so’s Billy Sheehan, and so is _____ (fill in the blank), but ever hear them SING while playing like that? Mark King has 2 brains.
I know what you're saying. I can't sing while I play. And one of the most impressive things I ever saw my mother do was at the last minute cover for someone with a cold by singing the alto part while playing the piano for that quartet and holding down a perfect alto while tearing it up on the piano. She did a 3 octave ascending then descending arpeggio while the alto line was going down in harmony with the soprano, and chording with the left hand. As much as I always appreciated the ability to do two different things at the same time with your two hands on piano, it was IMO, a step up to be playing at that level and singing alto.

John’s good and so’s Billy Sheehan, and so is _____ (fill in the blank), but ever hear them SING while playing like that? Mark King has 2 brains.
Uh, hold the phone! I think there's even more there than we thought. Just watched your video on page 2 again... look closely. He's not only singing and playing bass, he's also CHEWING GUM! THAT is talent! That's just not fair.

Latest update(this is excruciatingly hard) I think my choice will be Josie. There is a lot of info and tutorials on this song. And…..this song does kick some serious A$$!

This is it! JOSIE. Not going backwards. This is carved in stone.

SD has made me become really excited again about learning and practicing. I even have a few old solos that need some brushing up so I have a list of those on the side.

Amazing the positive chemical change in one’s body that music can have.

Last edited:
So ppl if I have any problems with this song no matter what the case may be would it be okay with all of you if I came here for help if I need it? Pls and thx. ❤️
Of course. I'm no jazz chord wiz, so I probably can't be much help, but you can definitely come here for help and there will be someone here who will be able to help.

Back