Steely Dan

I haven’t decided on anything as of yet. I don’t want to start a song and then give up in utter frustration. That scenario is just too damaging for me. If I choose a song that’s it through thick and thin. No option to change.

I agree with Scott on the "play what makes you happy" part, but also understand the desire to improve by learning new things. I think where you may want to adjust a little bit, is putting so much pressure on yourself. I understand that mentality a bit, coming from my perfectionist attitude towards sports. But music isn't sports. There is no loser. Find a way to make it fun, and not stressful. It's not like you're under the gun here, like a job in a band depends on you nailing this song, or something. You're doing this for your own personal growth and enjoyment. Make it fun!

I agree with Scott on the "play what makes you happy" part, but also understand the desire to improve by learning new things. I think where you may want to adjust a little bit, is putting so much pressure on yourself. I understand that mentality a bit, coming from my perfectionist attitude towards sports. But music isn't sports. There is no loser. Find a way to make it fun, and not stressful. It's not like you're under the gun here, like a job in a band depends on you nailing this song, or something. You're doing this for your own personal growth and enjoyment. Make it fun!
I am mildly OCD and I demand perfection from myself. I don’t know how else to function. I depend on me to nail this song. I know I have to relax. I have a little secret though. Just before I get into a marathon of practice I vape a bit. Not all the time just when the work load becomes overwhelming. I am my own worst enemy sometimes. For me it let’s me back off on myself. It let’s me relax. I realize that mistakes must be made in order for me to learn. So I view mistakes as a good thing. As long as I learn from them and don’t repeat them.

I am mildly OCD and I demand perfection from myself. I don’t know how else to function. I depend on me to nail this song. I know I have to relax. I have a little secret though. Just before I get into a marathon of practice I vape a bit. Not all the time just when the work load becomes overwhelming. I am my own worst enemy sometimes. For me it let’s me back off on myself. It let’s me relax. I realize that mistakes must be made in order for me to learn. So I view mistakes as a good thing. As long as I learn from them and don’t repeat them.
Yes, of course mistakes must be made. Nobody could play it perfectly the first time. Start slow, Learn one section at a time, then speed it up little by little. If there’s a tough change, stop and just bounce back and forth between those two chords until it becomes easier muscle memory. Get one section down, then move onto the next.

That’s how I did classical music when I was younger, and it stuck with me when I moved to guitar and was learning songs. Easy stuff, you could play along with, but when it gets to harder stuff, slow down, take it in sections, speed up once you’ve got that section. You’ll get it! And each section you get is a win.

I think I am already leaning towards Level 42. There’s a song about me( I relate strongly to)in their mix and it has great meaning to me. I think I just decided. Oh my. Did I really?

Well Hells Bells...I'll speak on ARS, since it seams nobody else will...Love them!!!

Their "Spooky" kicks butt..."Not gonna let it bother me tonight" is cool...and I personally love "Jukin'"

RIP, Barry Bailey.
I personally love Atlanta Rhythm section.

I have given this a lot of thought.

It will be one song and one song only(I have a tendency to bite off more then I can chew) from either

1. Atlanta Rhythm Section

2. Level 42

3. Steely Dan

The rad thing about learning Steely Dan songs is, just the availability of tabs and videos out there.

I was on a kick of learning a (mostly disco) song I’ve always wanted to learn, but was too lazy to, a week while my son was young, and the videos and tabs are abysmal!

LOL! Try and find a decent EW&F tutorial or a Chic one… most of them are just… wrong. Dudes just making sh!t up, fumbling their way through stuff, and posting it.

Bassist’s seem to be the only ones who actually put the same effort into learning/showing the correct parts. Or if you’re lucky, you can find Freddie Washington showing you how to play Send Me Forget Me Nots!

Thx for all your suggestions but I think level 42 is winning and in the lead. Let you know in a bit. This is one of the toughest decision this year so far. Lol but a very serious one for me personally. I just can’t jump into this without knowing the facts Jack! Lol

And the winner is “Something about you” by Level 42. I am using Carl Brown’s tutorial on YouTube.

If any of you have ever played this song before and have any tips and tricks for me pls let me know.

I am very excited to start this venture.

:)Unexpected turn?
Yes… I love Steely Dan, but I’ve never even heard of Level 42, so I was just getting ready to say the same thing. But this is your thread and your journey, so have fun with it. And, who knows. If they are anything like Steely Dan, I might discover a new group that I like.

Yes… I love Steely Dan, but I’ve never even heard of Level 42, so I was just getting ready to say the same thing. But this is your thread and your journey, so have fun with it. And, who knows. If they are anything like Steely Dan, I might discover a new group that I like.
They are like Steely Dan. They are prog, rock, jazz just like SD. They are just as amazing. They were a band from the 80’s as well. And omg I was wrong. They are from England not Australia as I originally said. You learn something new everyday. Lol

Level 42 are an English jazz-funk rock band formed on the Isle of Wight in 1979. They had a number of UK and worldwide hits during the 1980s and 1990s.

Unexpected turn?
Yes, from SD to L42! That is the "unexpected turn" I am referring to!! All good, and glad you found something to work on!!!

They are like Steely Dan. They are prog, rock, jazz just like SD. They are just as amazing. They were a band from the 80’s as well. And omg I was wrong. They are from England not Australia as I originally said. You learn something new everyday. Lol

Level 42 are an English jazz-funk rock band formed on the Isle of Wight in 1979. They had a number of UK and worldwide hits during the 1980s and 1990s.
Can't say I would say Level 42 is like SD! Don't get me wrong, I have been a Level 42 and SD fan since the 80's, but a very different feel IMO!! The best thing about Level 42 is the legendary bass player/lead singer Mark King!!! That man can slap a bass as well as anybody in history, MusicRadar describing him as "the guy who put the slap in pop during the 80s"!!!! Might not be your cup of tea DTR, but MK is an incredible player either way!!!!!

Boo hoo on me. I hate this song. As I am getting into it I just can’t get into the groove. I have tried numerous times. Maybe tomorrow. I really do like “Peg” Idk I guess I am not done giving this serious enough thought.

Last edited:
"Dirty Work" looks very doable (Dirty Work chords) as laid out in that link! I did a google search and a lot of folk are pointing to "Josie" as one of the easier SD numbers to play although when I looked at it, others seem easier!! "With A Gun" looks reasonable as well in this arrangement! Best of luck and I hope we get a chance to hear it once you have it nailed down!!!

Beat me to it. Tommy Shaw and Jack Blades do a nice version of it, too.

Here’s a simple chord lesson:

Last edited:
And the winner is “Something about you” by Level 42. I am using Carl Brown’s tutorial on YouTube.

If any of you have ever played this song before and have any tips and tricks for me pls let me know.

I am very excited to start this venture.
What keyboard part are you trying to adapt to guitar, the “clav” part? There’s like, almost zero guitar on that tune aside from the chorus.

That’s more of a “I just bought a DX7” song to learn IMO.

Going to check them out. Any favs I should look for?

I also thought about adding Level 42 to the mix because they’re the same kind of band, prog, rock, jazz etc, That opens the door to a lot more choices. Maybe too many.

Level 42 is one of my favorite bands, but good luck telling your bass player he has to learn Mark King’s parts (baddest dude on the planet). And can you imagine singing and playing together like Mark King?!! Dude is unreal:

Last edited:
Back