Blues Jr.

Sonic Blue 55

I showed up at the drummer's house with my Paisley H head and a Dan Armstrong Pine cabinet with a 12" Cerwin Vega. I forgot the speaker cable!
There was a Blues Jr. there.
I made some adjustments with it and got a surprisingly good tone from it. The guitarist that owns it cranks up the volume and master with the fat tone switch.
I heard him one night and was appalled at the tone he was digging.
I found it to be a great amp with my McCarty gold top double cut with soap bar P90s. I got a clean sound with a hint of sparkle and had a blast playing Miles Davis, Steely Dan, Jerry Garcia, and
Taj Mahal tunes.

I've been thinking about getting one for home practice. There seems to be 4 different version over the life of the product. Which does everyone like and why? I am leaning toward version IV.
If you go to a shop to buy one, compare it to a Deluxe Reverb. Both are great amps. You may like one better than the other.

I've been thinking about getting one for home practice. There seems to be 4 different version over the life of the product. Which does everyone like and why? I am leaning toward version IV.

The first version was built in USA, which one usually assumes is better, but my understanding is that there were some potentially problematic design/layout issues that were fixed in the subsequent MIM versions. Also some people take issue with the stock speakers...

But all in all a fantastic little grab and go amp.

Lots of people crap on the Hot Rod series amps, but I think a lot of that comes from the overdrive tones - the cleans especially are pretty good. I’ve always liked the Blues Deluxe, and played a HRD for a jam that sounded good, too.
I agree completely on this point. I’ve played Hot Rod Deluxe and Deville, and both sounded good clean, but I didn’t care for the OD channels, and much of the feedback I’ve read was either ”it’s really good for the money. I only use the clean channel plus pedals” or it was ”I don’t like it because I need a good clean and a good OD channel and I don’t like the OD channel” type comments. I tried a Blues Deluxe and it wasn’t bad on the clean channel, but didn’t blow me away, but not bad. OD channel was meh.

The little Pro Jr is what Jeff Beck used to hide behind his Marshall stack and mic up to house. Those opened up can sound pretty good. But, there are like at least 4 versions of all of that AND the Blues Deluxe and opinions vary on them based on the model, so I’d always want to play one before buying as some versions are better than others.

A coworker was looking for an amp around $500. I sent him some listings of used Blues Jr and Vox AC15.
Not sure how to beat either of those at that price point.

Back