Steely Dan

Lola

❤️guitar
Oh Posh darling I have finally arrived. Lol My playing has gotten to the point of wanting to test the waters of Steely Dan. I need a challenge to motivate me. I was starting to flopping around like a sea bass on the dock with no direction. I tried Peg last night and some of the chord progressions are enough to set fire to your hair.

Let me ask is there is there any other easier song then Peg.

I vowed to myself that when I was to learn some of there songs I would. That minute is now. The time has come. The journey will be a struggle and maybe a straight jacket might be called for at times! Lol

Oh Posh darling I have finally arrived. Lol My playing has gotten to the point of wanting to test the waters of Steely Dan. I need a challenge to motivate me. I was starting to flopping around like a sea bass on the dock with no direction. I tried Peg last night and some of the chord progressions are enough to set fire to your hair.

Let me ask is there is there any other easier song then Peg.

I vowed to myself that when I was to learn some of there songs I would. That minute is now. The time has come. The journey will be a struggle and maybe a straight jacket might be called for at times! Lol
My recommendation is to start with "Any Major Dude Will Tell You": Not a ton of "expensive" chords, reasonable lead lines, and it's just a great tune...

SD is such an incredibly band, so consistently good over the years that they’re almost synonymous with “well-crafted recording” these days. Some of their more flowing tunes like Rikki Don’t Lose That Number or Hey Nineteen might be fun. Not easy, but really nice stylistically, without too many fast changes. Straighter arrangements like Dirty Work are good too. Good luck!

In your opinion what is the easiest SD song to learn as I want and need to expand my horizons.

I also was thinking of maybe doing a tune by the Atlanta Rhythm Section.

My chops are getting to the point that I need and want to challenge them with a song from either band. I am willing to put in the time. I don’t care if it takes me 2 years or more. I remember learning Stairway and that fingerpicking part took me months to learn. Everyday I poured my heart and soul into learning it and I did.

I want this badly and I am not willing to let this slip through my fingers. I have time and the discipline to get the job done!

Feedback pls and thx!

SD is such an incredibly band, so consistently good over the years that they’re almost synonymous with “well-crafted recording” these days. Some of their more flowing tunes like Rikki Don’t Lose That Number or Hey Nineteen might be fun. Not easy, but really nice stylistically, without too many fast changes. Straighter arrangements like Dirty Work are good too. Good luck!
I LOVE Steely Dan. Jazz chords are the coolest chords in the world. Years ago, I learned many of the solos, but rarely did I take the time to study out all those awesome jazz chords.

Hal Leonard Guitar Playalong DVD - Steely Dan

Steely%20Dan.jpg

This a way out of my comfort zone. But I really need this challenge however long it takes me. I am going to do my due diligence. I need to find the right song song for a little above my current skill set and most of this is above my current skill set but that’s the only way for me to improve. It has to be baby steps I guess. I don’t want to jump off the cliff just yet. Lol I am very intimidated!

This a way out of my comfort zone. But I really need this challenge however long it takes me. I am going to do my due diligence. I need to find the right song song for a little above my current skill set and most of this is above my current skill set but that’s the only way for me to improve. It has to be baby steps I guess. I don’t want to jump off the cliff just yet. Lol I am very intimidated!
Trust me, those jazz chords are way out of a lot of peoples comfort zone. If you're not already a big "jazz player" this IS a big accomplishment. Perhaps a different mindset in playing for you. Would be a big win to pull this off.

So any suggestions for muting with an alternative other then then my thumb? Female hands = small finger length. I just can’t use my thumb and in the SD songs the thumb is used a lot. I have tried in vain so many times and it just doesn’t work.

I will be on my way to rehearsal this afternoon via Go train. I have 45 minutes that I have planned out to listen to their stuff. I will give all your suggestions a listen.
Did you decide on a song yet?
So any suggestions for muting with an alternative other then then my thumb? Female hands = small finger length. I just can’t use my thumb and in the SD songs the thumb is used a lot. I have tried in vain so many times and it just doesn’t work.
Palm?

"Dirty Work" looks very doable (Dirty Work chords) as laid out in that link! I did a google search and a lot of folk are pointing to "Josie" as one of the easier SD numbers to play although when I looked at it, others seem easier!! "With A Gun" looks reasonable as well in this arrangement! Best of luck and I hope we get a chance to hear it once you have it nailed down!!!

One of my favourite bands to cook to, when in the kitchen and Peg is one of my favourite tracks.

Maybe not Bodhisattva just yet!

You could try Black Friday

This track always gives me Gerry Rafferty vibes!

I haven’t decided on anything as of yet. I don’t want to start a song and then give up in utter frustration. That scenario is just too damaging for me. If I choose a song that’s it through thick and thin. No option to change.

I haven’t decided on anything as of yet. I don’t want to start a song and then give up in utter frustration. That scenario is just too damaging for me. If I choose a song that’s it through thick and thin. No option to change.
There is a very real possibility that you're overthinking this. Play what you enjoy and don't beat yourself up if it isn't perfect...

Committed!! I dig it!

I'm a lot like that as well. I tend to focus on pieces that kick my butt, and I'm too stubborn to stop until I get it. I do my very best to get it under my fingers thoroughly one "chunk" at a time. Then I usually work on all the little nuances until I'm happy with it.

Over the last 6 months or so, I've been really woodshedding...A LOT.
That being said, I think It's important to give yourself a break and just play what makes you happy. Allow yourself a little breathing room. However, after doing the fun stuff for just a little while...Be sure to get back to work on the challenge at hand. That always helps me anyway, YRMV.

Don't be intimidated by tough ones. Remember...You can't eat an elephant in one bite, small bites are much more effective.

*No offense to my Vegan/Vegetarian peeps. It's just a metaphor...don't panic.
No elephants were harmed in the making of this post. ;)

Back