Started my first PS... woah

mezzio

The Force is weak in ^^
So started working on getting my first PS built, and let me say it's become quite overwhelming pretty quick. Curious if others have felt the same way doing theirs. So many choices in woods, inlays, hardware, finishes, etc, really made my head almost explode. I got a preliminary list of what I'd like, but I'm really stuck on some things, lol.

Those who have done one or more PS guitars, how did you handle it, cool and calm, or excited and erratic?

For me, I had a pretty good idea of what I wanted well before I went. I think it's good to decide the most important things by what you want to get outta the guitar. I actually wrote up 2 different builds. One that had everything I wanted and one that had everything I needed...the no compromise items. For me that was a double cut body that was SC thickness. I wasn't looking to experiment much for tone woods because I wasn't looking for anything way out of the norm. I knew I wanted a Brazilian board cause I love the feel and tone, was just s matter of finding a cool one. There's a ton of options but honestly, I kinda felt the woods picked me. I looked a a pile of tops. I had it narrowed to 3-4 pretty quick. I knew what color I wanted so I asked Paul Miles which would be best for the color and he then rated them 1,2,3... for my color. I took a little time, but they were all great so I went with his #1. The neck I just picked up a bunch and knocked on em. I picked the one that had the longest ring. The back was toughest for me. I didn't intend picking a back that was figured mostly because I didn't want an up charge there. There's a ton of nice ribbon hog back that even have some figuring. But the quilted hog I got was really dense and I felt I'd be making a mistake and wondering about it forever. I figured(no pun intended) the denseness would add to what it wanted tonally.

Are you going out there or having the dealer go?

Accept that you can't have everything on one guitar. Have a vision for the guitar as a complete instrument. Choose an identity that is cogent and whole, and you'll do just fine. It's tough, I know! That's why you'll need more than one. Enjoy.

If you want feedback on your options list, several would chime in. In the end, it's your guitar, and whatever you really want, PS will do in spades.

Mine was easy. I knew exactly what I wanted in terms of woods, along with an understated look. Turned out great.

mezzio -- I haven't even started on mine for the exact opposite reasons as Les' was easy -- I have no idea what I want in terms of woods, and other accouterments. There are some things I know exactly what I want; there are some things I know mostly what I want; but when it comes to the wood and pickups, all I know is the kind of tone I want, the results, not what to ask for in terms of getting there.

So: sympathies.

But look at the bright side -- you've started it, you're one step closer to getting your guitar.

Deciding what I'd want would be easy.... paying for it would prove to be the difficult part.

As far as what I want, or what I thought I wanted, I thought I had it down... CU24, stop tail, 57/08's, piezo, cocobolo body and neck, 1 piece maple top, BRW board, mammoth Ivory inlays. After looking at the order sheet though, it got difficult, picking every... little... detail... out, lol. Unfortunately I've been told I can't do the cocobolo body or the mammoth ivory, so I gotta figure out some other body wood, maybe a nice black walnut or something.

For me, I had a pretty good idea of what I wanted well before I went. I think it's good to decide the most important things by what you want to get outta the guitar. I actually wrote up 2 different builds. One that had everything I wanted and one that had everything I needed...the no compromise items. For me that was a double cut body that was SC thickness. I wasn't looking to experiment much for tone woods because I wasn't looking for anything way out of the norm. I knew I wanted a Brazilian board cause I love the feel and tone, was just s matter of finding a cool one. There's a ton of options but honestly, I kinda felt the woods picked me. I looked a a pile of tops. I had it narrowed to 3-4 pretty quick. I knew what color I wanted so I asked Paul Miles which would be best for the color and he then rated them 1,2,3... for my color. I took a little time, but they were all great so I went with his #1. The neck I just picked up a bunch and knocked on em. I picked the one that had the longest ring. The back was toughest for me. I didn't intend picking a back that was figured mostly because I didn't want an up charge there. There's a ton of nice ribbon hog back that even have some figuring. But the quilted hog I got was really dense and I felt I'd be making a mistake and wondering about it forever. I figured(no pun intended) the denseness would add to what it wanted tonally.

Are you going out there or having the dealer go?

I'm going through Brian for it, unfortunately I can't go myself, so we'll have to do it through text/email... had it been a couple months ago around when you did yours, I would have been able to make it out to the factory, but all the kids are back waiting for school to start, so my freedom is gone until May, lol.

Toughest thing for me is always the stain.

Oddly the stain is something I've had in my mind for a while, it's coming up with an inlay that'll complement the stain idea.

I have a list I started for my 50th birthday build...i have a few years to go...but I think I have a pretty good idea of where I am going with it. I don't think I am spec'ing anything too crazy, so hopefully what I want will still be available when I am ready to start my order. I have gotten alot of inspiration from the posts here over the years as well as cruising dealer sites and saving pics of my favorites.

I am definitely going to need a few more years to save up (hopefully) again...

Anyway, best of luck Mezzio throughout the process...hope whatever you end up with exceeds every expectation!

I've had a scratch sheet going for a couple years, as well as a couple hundred pics saved from the PS Friday post. I recently printed out a spec sheet and started filling in the blanks...(un) fortunately I'll have plenty of time to decide the details while the funds accumulate...(My 50th birthday is next year, an I'll hopefully be looking for a "reward" if I can pass the board...that's the goal for doing a build). Of course , I know this finally getting to the vault will start a "just not more" craving for the next build...):cheers:

Deciding what I'd want would be easy.... paying for it would prove to be the difficult part.
Yeah. I know that if I had just saved up and not bought the PRSi I have now I could probably have swung a PS, but I honestly am glad I have the variety of PRSi that I have. And when I bought my first PRSi, I thought it was going to be my only PRSi. The same way I have only one Strat, one Les Paul, one telecaster, etc.

Then I discovered this forum...:evil:

I have a list I started for my 50th birthday build...i have a few years to go...but I think I have a pretty good idea of where I am going with it. I don't think I am spec'ing anything too crazy, so hopefully what I want will still be available when I am ready to start my order. I have gotten alot of inspiration from the posts here over the years as well as cruising dealer sites and saving pics of my favorites.

I am definitely going to need a few more years to save up (hopefully) again...
I'll need more than a few years, and I'm only a couple away from that particular milestone...and I think current and possible future kids are going to wash away any thought of a PS build...

Anyway, best of luck Mezzio throughout the process...hope whatever you end up with exceeds every expectation!
Indeed! I can't wait to see how this unfolds for you!

Adam, one thing to keep in mind...you don't NEED every blank filled in on the sheet. If you don't want binding, outlines, etc. Just depends how much candy you want.

You'll be in great hands having Brian selecting woods. He's done a pile of builds, so lean on him for advice on the tone certain woods will provide.

Last edited:
Is there anything remotely similar to mammoth ivory inlay? I was so disappointed to hear that was no longer offered. It's been my favorite inlay for yeas, ever since I first saw it in person on Jamie's HB at one of the unofficial PRS gatherings in Maryland.

Adam, one thing to keep in mind...you don't NEED every blank filled in on the sheet. If you don't want binding, outlines, etc. Just depends how much candy you want.

You'll be in great hands having Brian selecting woods. He's done a pile of builds, so lean on him for advice on the tone certain woods will provide.

That's why I went with him, he just keeps kicking out killer builds, my WL 408 from him is just killer, so I can imagine his eye for picking out the best from the PS vault won't disappoint

Is there anything remotely similar to mammoth ivory inlay? I was so disappointed to hear that was no longer offered. It's been my favorite inlay for yeas, ever since I first saw it in person on Jamie's HB at one of the unofficial PRS gatherings in Maryland.

Brian told me if I'm really set on that mammoth ivory look I could go with Ivoroid or MoP. For me it wasn't necessarily the look as much as it was having the material itself.

I suppose if I wanted I could ask if I could source some myself to send to them, since technically it's not illegal to buy or own, it's just difficult to tell the difference between mammoth ivory and new ivory.

Hopefully I can get a color test of my stain idea then pick out the inlay material.

That's why I went with him, he just keeps kicking out killer builds, my WL 408 from him is just killer, so I can imagine his eye for picking out the best from the PS vault won't disappoint

Brian told me if I'm really set on that mammoth ivory look I could go with Ivoroid or MoP. For me it wasn't necessarily the look as much as it was having the material itself.

I suppose if I wanted I could ask if I could source some myself to send to them, since technically it's not illegal to buy or own, it's just difficult to tell the difference between mammoth ivory and new ivory.

Hopefully I can get a color test of my stain idea then pick out the inlay material.

The issue with Mammoth Ivory includes the possibility of having your axe confiscated by a government d!psh!t at some point. The way things are going, I wouldn't be surprised. And if we elect Hillary, we're all f*cked.

The issue with Mammoth Ivory includes the possibility of having your axe confiscated by a government d!psh!t at some point. The way things are going, I wouldn't be surprised. And if we elect Hillary, we're all f*cked.

Yeah, that's true too, lol... Hopefully she ends up in prison before idiots get a chance to vote with their eyes and ears closed.

Less politics, more guitars!

I feel like I wouldn't know what to do with all the options available through PS. Honestly, I would probs just want a P22 Semi-Hollow, standard wood profile, with \m/ pickups in either Aquableux or Eriza Verde with a natural back and ZM style unfinished neck

Less politics, more guitars!

I feel like I wouldn't know what to do with all the options available through PS. Honestly, I would probs just want a P22 Semi-Hollow, standard wood profile, with \m/ pickups in either Aquableux or Eriza Verde with a natural back and ZM style unfinished neck

Agreed. I think no politics is the rule. Back to guitars. I had thought about a PS a few years back and decided that I already own my ideal PRS. I would be paying a huge up charge for basically cosmetics. It doesn't stop me from enjoying everyone's builds though. Some of the ideas you guys come up with are great.

Back