Birds of a Feather - PS Inlay?

xxxadixxx

Ever since I first saw Paul David's PRS PS (You Tube video "Maybe the best guitar solo I've ever played") I have had the Birds of a Feather inlay stuck in my head. If I were ever to do a PS, that would be the inlay (with the rest of the guitar similar to a SC594 + Tremonti). I do not see too many PS builds with that particular inlay and have only ever seen ebony/maple versions. Have there been any other combinations or potentially one with additional inlays added, i.e. maybe a 12th fret pot bird inlaid in the ebony? It would be great to see if there were any variations or it is really only a single approach.

While a PS is not in cards for the near future, it never hurts to be prepared ;);););)

Ever since I first saw Paul David's PRS PS (You Tube video "Maybe the best guitar solo I've ever played") I have had the Birds of a Feather inlay stuck in my head. If I were ever to do a PS, that would be the inlay (with the rest of the guitar similar to a SC594 + Tremonti). I do not see too many PS builds with that particular inlay and have only ever seen ebony/maple versions. Have there been any other combinations or potentially one with additional inlays added, i.e. maybe a 12th fret pot bird inlaid in the ebony? It would be great to see if there were any variations or it is really only a single approach.

While a PS is not in cards for the near future, it never hurts to be prepared ;);););)
You need contrasting woods for it to be aesthetically pleasing, which is why it's generally maple + ebony/rosewood for this type of inlays (bats in flight, BOF, zombies, owls in flight, ...).
There's been a few other combinations that worked really well too for natural finishes:
- Ziricote + persimmon
- Spalted maple + ebony neck (PS 6362 - HBII)
- Blackwood + curly Koa ( PS 7089 - DGT Semi-Hollow )

The design cost of those fingerboards can be pretty steep if you want a new one, alterations are unlikely as a result.

Other similar inlays have had more creative material choices lately at Brian's Guitars: curly maple + MOP, wood + resin. Though those wouldn't work that well IMO for the BOF design:

kdWTADT.jpg

Last edited:
Im working on a PS build with bats in flight inlay, and I believe the upcharge is over 1k. But you only live once, next PS stock build will be zombies.

Back