PS Design Question - Birds of a Feather Inlay?

xxxadixxx

I am just starting the process of getting my thoughts together on a PS build, likely placing an order this fall. The basic design is set in my mind and it's time to think through some of the aesthetic choices.

Basic Build:
- Tremonti stoptail
- Rosewood neck
- Quilt maple top
- Natural Mahogany back

Ever since seeing Paul David's PRS in a video, I have been enamored with the Birds of a Feather inlay. It seems examples and close-up pictures are pretty hard to come by. While I know this is the inlay I will include, I am not sure on the direction and the color treatment. Most examples have the dark wood starting at the body and transition into the lighter wood in the final 1/3 of the fingerboard. There are a few examples out there with it reversed and the lighter wood starting at the body. A Dragon's Breath 594 is the main one I see online. This option is interesting as I really like the look of a rosewood headstock and maple binding, which might seem awkward coming immediately after the maple fingerboard (i.e. maple top-->ebony/rosewood-->maple-->rosewood).

I will be very appreciative if anyone can point me towards a few examples of this inlay to give a better idea of what is possible with it?

OK, this should give you a pretty clear picture of the inlay.
The middle, where the birds get less crowded.
CK_81BirdsCrowding.JPG

top of the neck where there is lots of space
CK_80BirdsOfAFeatherTopNeck.JPG

headstock - you want a rosewood headstock, which I think works well with an eagle made from whatever wood is on the top of your neck.

With a rosewood neck with maple binding, I would ask for rosewood + maple fingerboard. It will all flow nicely.
CK_79BIrdsOfAFeatherHeadstock.JPG

and, since we're talking birds and feather, maybe I'll sneak in another guitar with that theme that I got about the same time.
CK_617HeritageTattoo.JPG

@veinbuster That is beautiful! Thank you for the great pictures. I have been going through the old PSF pictures (starting in 2013 and currently on page 400 :rolleyes:) collecting different angles. Your shots above are superior. Is the side binding or just the side of the fingerboard.

@veinbuster That is beautiful! Thank you for the great pictures. I have been going through the old PSF pictures (starting in 2013 and currently on page 400 :rolleyes:) collecting different angles. Your shots above are superior. Is the side binding or just the side of the fingerboard.
I believe what you are seeing is the edge of the fingerboard. There is a thin line of koa around the fingerboard and a corresponding thin line of ebony around the headstock.

I actually have a PS with the inlay on it too, so if you want other images or maybe even a video I can accommodate, just ask.

Sb5Djmo.jpg
That is awesome. I appreciate the fantastic example. This addresses one of the other questions I had around any limitations on the wood. I see a lot with ebony and maple. While I will use maple for the top. I am leaning towards a black limba back and rosewood neck. This would make ebony a bit out of place. It would be interesting to incorporate a dark rosewood or black limba in place of the ebony. The example you show has a really cool "lighter" wood which suggests there are still options with the design. Thank you.

On another note, that headstock veneer... OMG. Incredible. That is one amazing guitar!

That is awesome. I appreciate the fantastic example. This addresses one of the other questions I had around any limitations on the wood. I see a lot with ebony and maple. While I will use maple for the top. I am leaning towards a black limba back and rosewood neck. This would make ebony a bit out of place. It would be interesting to incorporate a dark rosewood or black limba in place of the ebony. The example you show has a really cool "lighter" wood which suggests there are still options with the design. Thank you.

On another note, that headstock veneer... OMG. Incredible. That is one amazing guitar!
Keep in mind black limba often has big colour variations in it, so might not work with this inlay very well. The last photo in my post above is black limba.

Back