Inlay Materials - Show me yours!

c340

I am in the process of ordering a Private Stock (build can be seen here) but I am not 100% sure on the inlay material. The fretboard and headstock veneer will be dark colored ebony. I know I want the hollow/outline "J-birds" and the Private Stock eagle headstock. I have gone back and forth between Koa, Opal, Chrysocolla, very blue Paua.

Any suggestions? What do you have on yours? I'd love to see them!

Here is the guitar color I am aiming for:

collection_electric_usa_5a.jpg

I am in the process of ordering a Private Stock (build can be seen here) but I am not 100% sure on the inlay material. The fretboard and headstock veneer will be dark colored ebony. I know I want the hollow/outline "J-birds" and the Private Stock eagle headstock. I have gone back and forth between Koa, Opal, Chrysocolla, very blue Paua.

Any suggestions? What do you have on yours? I'd love to see them!

Here is the guitar color I am aiming for:

collection_electric_usa_5a.jpg
Oh, damn, man............................... :oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::cool:

Paua will be a great match for that guitar colour. That’s what I would go with.
I think I would agree. Have paua J birds in one of my guitars and it is very tasteful. Especially with a very dark board. That would make them pop. I would stay away from overly figured inlay, because that would result in less "defined" inlays with J birds. They are subtle. My SE HBII for example has abalome birds on an ebony board. However the abalone is very figured and that kind of takes away from the inlay itself. I would have prefered them to be MOP given the choice (which I did not have).

Might be able to post pictures later or tomorrow.

I think I would agree. Have paua J birds in one of my guitars and it is very tasteful. Especially with a very dark board. That would make them pop. I would stay away from overly figured inlay, because that would result in less "defined" inlays with J birds. They are subtle. My SE HBII for example has abalome birds on an ebony board. However the abalone is very figured and that kind of takes away from the inlay itself. I would have prefered them to be MOP given the choice (which I did not have).

Might be able to post pictures later or tomorrow.
If you get the chance to post, please do! You make good points here.

OYuPuWK.jpg
At the end of a long journey my favourite inlay material is black MOP with white MOP outlines. It’s less bling and yet more power, and it goes with everything, especially a dark board. Inlay color does not necessarily have to match stain color.

With a teal-ish color finish like that and ebony, your birds scream for an MOP/Paua combo IMO. Either orientation of outlines and centers looks incredible.
In that case I'd go for MOP outlines en paua centers

I know you mentioned you want to get hollow jaybird’s, but just wanted to show you this option that I have on my PS Angelus. A cool combo of oversized moons with eagle on the head stock and hawk at the 12th fret. Outlines on my two birds are gold, but just think of the possibilities with color combos with the moon’s/crescent moon’s, and the outlines on the birds on your guitar. Might look cool.

arpNNwX.jpg

Uz2Gu4F.jpg

I know you mentioned you want to get hollow jaybird’s, but just wanted to show you this option that I have on my PS Angelus. A cool combo of oversized moons with eagle on the head stock and hawk at the 12th fret. Outlines on my two birds are gold, but just think of the possibilities with color combos with the moon’s/crescent moon’s, and the outlines on the birds on your guitar. Might look cool.

arpNNwX.jpg

Uz2Gu4F.jpg
That is truly a class act right there! LOVE IT!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Back