Spoilt for choice between a SC 250(Pre Lawsuit) a SC 250(Ten Top)and a Stripped 58

Not quite sure what the question is you're asking, but here, have more pics. :cool: Can't bring myself to part with any of them:
prs02.png

prs09.png

prs16.png

prs17.png

Those are stunning!

Hi Reynewan,

I'm an old school hack. I play mostly 70's 80's rock and even some older country.

The black burst SC is stock with the #7's and the W/F neck. The only thing unique about it is that it was built for one of the original PRS guys named Orkie. He was a friend of PRSH (May still be, I don't know), and he worked for PRS and I think at the time this was made (2000) he had a guitar shop. I don't know if this was built for the shop or for himself, but it has his name inside the pickup cavity. The think I like about it is the balanced tone. Strong and powerful across the whole fretboard. Also has two wolf tone frets that I love.

The one on the left is a 20th Anni Artist pack. Again stock with #7's and a W/F neck. This one has the pua 20th birds and that was the reason to get it. It isn't as magical as the Black Burst, but it's lovely to look at.

The one on the right that you can barely see in the photo belongs to another guy on the forum (Steve). He was over to jam and we took the photo after hacking through some music together.
bPnuvKK.jpg

Thanks for the long answer. What are the scales on those? Especially on the one from 2001?

If you are tuning down to C, you will 100% need the adjustable stoptail, especially if you use any outta the norm string gauges. So either buy a guitar with it or prepare to buy one aftermarket. I know from experience.

Everyone seems to be leaning toward the shorter scale, which I get, it’s more “vintage” and classic sounding. It’s what everyone wants. Fact is, the OP is looking to do modern, aggressive rock. Doesn’t meant a 245 scale won’t be great, but logic says 250 will help for both modern tone and lower tunings. The 250 is an aggressive rock beast. The 2000, 2001 SC is a great option too, just prepare to replace the bridge with an adjustable one and probably the bridge pickup unless you want a lot of midrange.

Thanx for Your reply.
I know that the 250ies are pretty aggressive because I owe a S2 250, but Iam considering buying a real Core Line 250. In my opinion the 7 Pickups aren´t that hot like the 250 Pickups which were put in in the later Versions of the 250ies namely the 250 Pickups. I have already the PRS "M" Metal Pickups in my S2 to replace eventually the 7´s. I have also unfortunately small and very sensitive Hands/Fingers...So when I downtune to C-Standard(I dont´t tune lower) I still use 11-56 Strings, because thicker Strings feel for me like "Ice Picking" with my Fingers..if You understand me here.

Would I need an adjustable bridge replacement If I downtune only to D-Standard in a SC 245 or the first Generation SC 250 from 2001?

Last edited:
Thanks for the long answer. What are the scales on those? Especially on the one from 2001?
Both are 25 inch. The black one is before the lawsuit 2000 and the Artist is after it in 2006 (it's a 20th Anni which was 2005, but they didn't finish all the orders until 2006), but they have the same specs. The shorter scale length didn't start until about 2008ish? Can't remember for sure but it was later than 2006.

Very nice Guitar here, but for my style of Music with a lot of Distortion, she would probably create some Feedbacks.

Sssshh...! Don't tell anybody the secret, but this guitar loves Opeth, Voivod, and Metallica...

Now I found a Core-Line SC 250 from 2007. Seems very nice. But the Pickups are covered, so I´m not sure
about them, because I´ve always saw them uncovered... Couldn´t find much Informations on the interenet. Has anyone an Information, if there was also a existing version of the SC 250
with covered 250 Pickups as well?

Here is the direct Link to the Guitar:

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s...th-sc250-10-top-birds-2007/1052538433-74-2966

Why do you think that Red?? I would take them if it´s true. But what makes you sure about it?
Doesen´t they have an 57/08 engraving?

Not all of them. The initial run (the 1957/2008 limited edition run from Experience) did not have the engraving. I believe that started w/the second or third run of guitars that had the 57/08s.

I´ve called 10 Minutes ago at the official PRS Techcenter in the US and they were so kind to help me.
They´ve told me that the Pickups were with high possibility swapped, because the original SC250 Pickups were made uncovered..

Last edited:
Ooops, I like all 3 Bands, but Metallica with that kind of PRS...

I find the extra tension with the 11 gauge strings helps me with the fast right hand rhythm parts. To be fair, this is just playing at home.

Hi, right now my Confusion about authenticity of the SC-250 is perfect...:confused:
I´ve called the PRS Tech Center in the US yesterday and today in England and they told me both,
that the SC 250ies were generally made with uncovered pick ups. I´ve confrontaded the Guy who sells
them, he pulled the Pups out for me and has send me two pictures of the backside of the Pups..
I cannot technically post generally yet here but...There is a SC250 Sticker AND the engravement on them PRS-USA:)
He told me he would let the pick ups outside the Guitar for me, when I will come. ´He seems to be a nice/honest Person as well, as I can judge.
I don´t know what to think, it must be a seldom Model is there such a possibility..?? Or maybe some kind of a custom Design
from the previous owner..(?) I don´t know..:confused:

It is entirely possible that they are indeed covered 250 pickups. The majority of 57/08 pickups out there are covered. But, there are some uncovered 57/08 pick ups floating around. The pics you saw confirm they are 250 pickups.

Back