Spoilt for choice between a SC 250(Pre Lawsuit) a SC 250(Ten Top)and a Stripped 58

Reynewan

Hello everybody,

I am back again after a long abscence due job stress and death in the family.
I have a choice between 3 used Core Line PRS Models. An Pre Lawsuit SC 250 with 7 Pickups, a SC 250 Ten Top with 7 Pickups and a Stripped 58 with 57/08 Pickups from 2012. I have already an S2 Singlecut. I tend to play the more aggressive Rock Stuff but not only and Ive heard only positive things about the 57/08 pickups.
I have also plenty of different PRS Pickups which I could also install into one of these 3 Guitars like the HFS or original SC 250 Pickups. But I can purchase only one... The prices are pretty close. The cheapest one is the Stripped 58 Any suggestions from you Guys? I would very thankfull for any purchase Hints/Tips as well about Informations, especially on the Stripped 58 and the differences to the other both SC250 ies. Thanks in advance!

I think the stripped 58 has a 24.5" scale length if I remember correctly, whereas the SC250s have 25" like your S2. Other than that and the pickups they should all be similar. I'd probably go for the stripper unless one of the others was black or goldtop.

I have a SC 58 stripped. Love it!
Easy playing, good sounding.
No coil splitters but it doesn’t need it.
It has its own thing, and killed my Custom Shop Les Paul too.

The bridge on the Stripped 58’s I’ve played (just a couple) seemed to give them a more “woody” tone, whereas the one piece stoptails have been more aggressive. I would vote for the 58 too, on the basis of adding some variety. If you’ve not had a set of 57/08’s, you haven’t lived.

Hi,

I have never played a SC so can’t comment on a comparison.

I have a Stripped ‘58 and absolutely love it - as pointed out above, it’s a 24.5” scale length. For me, it’s perfect - as well as looking good (without being too blingy) and feeling good, the pickups in this guitar are amazing. As mentioned, I cannot compare and obviously everyone has different taste but IMO these are lovely guitars.

Hi,

I have never played a SC so can’t comment on a comparison.

I have a Stripped ‘58 and absolutely love it - as pointed out above, it’s a 24.5” scale length. For me, it’s perfect - as well as looking good (without being too blingy) and feeling good, the pickups in this guitar are amazing. As mentioned, I cannot compare and obviously everyone has different taste but IMO these are lovely guitars.

They’re great. The two-piece PRS bridge and tailpiece on the SC58 and Str. 58 were a quantum leap forward in PRS Singlecuttery, both in tone and in the brilliance of the design for changing strings.

As Andy says, the “woodier” tone is very noticeable, and the pickups are an improvement. Folks touting this “pre-lawsuit” stuff are trying to create a mythology that they were somehow more special than later models. It ain’t so, and I say this as a person who owned four of them (and as I said, liked them a lot, but c’mon, the later ones are more awesome, and consistently so; have owned four with the two piece - stripped 58, SC58, SC245, and McCarty Singlecut).

“But Les, this stuff is subjective, and you always say there’s no ‘best’, only what’s best for you.”

“Yeah, true. But you know what they say about consistency...”

Last edited:
The Stripper would probably be my first choice...unless the 10 Top is gorgeous...and as mentioned, the SC 250's have a little longer scale...for chuggy chuggy (Heavier) stuff.
This might suit you better. I'd imagine the 10 top might be in a little rougher shape, being in same estimated cost range, then I'd check the fret wear, and stuff like that on it.

Thank you so far for all your replies!

I am answering time shifted from Europe. As far as Ive read the Stripped 58 should be quite similar to the SC 245´s(?)

I like musically the heavier stuff, but I could theoretically get also enough gain/distortion reserves from my Dual Rectifier(live) or Randal Diavlo for home practicing with the Stripped 58(?).
Never played them but I´ve never ever read something bad about the 57/08´s..I am open minded to classical Hard Rock sounds as well. Had read only very positive reviews on them. I mean I could also swap the pickups to try something different for a while without selling the 57/08´s. My concern is only if I can downtune the guitar to D Standard or C Standard as well ( of course with the right guitar adjustment and strings)...?
If I would go for the SC 250, I would definitely replace the 7´s with some other PRS Pickups. Ive had the 7 Pickups in my S2 Singlecut and I was somehow not fully satisfied with them.
I will try to put some Pics on the Weekend as well. Thanks again.

Yes, the Stripped should be "similar" to the SC245 due to the scale length. There are other nuances like the two piece bridge vs the wraparound stop tail that play into it.

I personally think the Stripped with the 57/08's is a killer combo. I do love my SC245 with Bare Knuckle Mule pickups though :D

You have more room for saddle adjustment to accommodate alternate tuning and different string gauges with the adjustable stoptail. The 2 piece on the 58 is great but the saddles are big so it could make things tight in getting proper intonation. I’ve owned both and like both guitars. Just something to consider.

Back