Spoilt for choice between a SC 250(Pre Lawsuit) a SC 250(Ten Top)and a Stripped 58

No love for the Gen 1 SC's? :(

Which historically speaking are not named SC250's. That designation did not exist until the advent of the SC245. Still they did have the 25 inch scale length so technically I guess it's allowed.

The S2 #7's are not exactly the same as the Gen 1 #7's. I haven't tried the S2 versions but I really like the Gen 1's.

My 2000 SC (middle one) is magical!
bPnuvKK.jpg

Hi again, the things are now, that unfortunately the stripped 58 is already sold:( It all happened ver quickly..
But there are still some options left..There are two SC 250. One from 2007 and one from 2001. Both equipped
with the 7 Pickups. I found also an SC 245 from 2009 with the calmer but legendary 57/08 Pups.
If I would go for the SC 250´ies I would have to rechange the 7 Pickups and buy the later SC 250 Pickups cause I like it more rocking hard.
It doesen´t get easier with the choice..Ive placed some links to the guitars, hope it is okay.

SC 250 2001
https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/paul-reed-smith-prs-sc250/1032766487-74-5447

SC 250 2007
https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s...th-sc250-10-top-birds-2007/1052538433-74-2966

SC 245 2009

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/prs-sc-245-ten-top/1037796862-74-331

Last edited:
No love for the Gen 1 SC's? :(

Which historically speaking are not named SC250's. That designation did not exist until the advent of the SC245. Still they did have the 25 inch scale length so technically I guess it's allowed.

The S2 #7's are not exactly the same as the Gen 1 #7's. I haven't tried the S2 versions but I really like the Gen 1's.

My 2000 SC (middle one) is magical!
bPnuvKK.jpg

I owe myself an modded S2 Singlecut. Your Gen 1 SC´s look very adorable and seem to offer a proper Quality. Could you give me/us some more Informations on them? Kind of Music you play with them, Fretboard, type of Neck and the main differences to the later SC 250ies. Would be cool.

Hi again, the things are now, that unfortunately the stripped 58 is already sold:( It all happened ver quickly..
But there are still some options left..There are two SC 250. One from 2007 and one from 2001. Both equipped
with the 7 Pickups. I found also an SC 245 from 2009 with the calmer but legendary 57/08 Pups.
If I would go for the SC 250´ies I would have to rechange the 7 Pickups and buy the later SC 250 Pickups cause I like it more rocking hard.
It doesen´t get easier with the choice..Ive placed some links to the guitars, hope it is okay.

SC 250 2001
https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/paul-reed-smith-prs-sc250/1032766487-74-5447

SC 250 2007
https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s...th-sc250-10-top-birds-2007/1052538433-74-2966

SC 245 2009

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/prs-sc-245-ten-top/1037796862-74-331

By looks, I like the finish on both of the SC250 a bit better than the SC245. However, if it were me, I’d probably go with the SC245.

By looks, I like the finish on both of the SC250 a bit better than the SC245. However, if it were me, I’d probably go with the SC245.

Greenly asking, could you explain in your opinion why you would prefer the SC245 over the SC250?

I owe myself an modded S2 Singlecut. Your Gen 1 SC´s look very adorable and seem to offer a proper Quality. Could you give me/us some more Informations on them? Kind of Music you play with them, Fretboard, type of Neck and the main differences to the later SC 250ies. Would be cool.
Hi Reynewan,

I'm an old school hack. I play mostly 70's 80's rock and even some older country.

The black burst SC is stock with the #7's and the W/F neck. The only thing unique about it is that it was built for one of the original PRS guys named Orkie. He was a friend of PRSH (May still be, I don't know), and he worked for PRS and I think at the time this was made (2000) he had a guitar shop. I don't know if this was built for the shop or for himself, but it has his name inside the pickup cavity. The think I like about it is the balanced tone. Strong and powerful across the whole fretboard. Also has two wolf tone frets that I love.

The one on the left is a 20th Anni Artist pack. Again stock with #7's and a W/F neck. This one has the pua 20th birds and that was the reason to get it. It isn't as magical as the Black Burst, but it's lovely to look at.

The one on the right that you can barely see in the photo belongs to another guy on the forum (Steve). He was over to jam and we took the photo after hacking through some music together.
bPnuvKK.jpg

Greenly asking, could you explain in your opinion why you would prefer the SC245 over the SC250?

Because I think the scale length contributes to that vintage rock tone I grew up listening. I believe scale length is one of the ingredients that contributes to the success of some models, like the Stripped 58 or the 594. Also I think the 245 is more unique. For less than what they’re asking you could get an S2 singlecut. I own a couple of core models and S2 and in my opinion you don’t forgo playability and feel going with an S2 instead of a Core. You do forgo aesthetics and the better electronics, but not built quality per se. Even then, you can swap all the electronics, including pickups for less than the price difference of an S2 and a core. With that said, I’m not going to pretend that cosmetics aren’t important, because I think they are. For example, one of the benefits from taking looks into account is the increased desire to play because the guitar you have is so irresistibly beautiful. The 245 you don’t have a core alternative with the same built quality. Yes there are 245 SEs and they’re pretty fantastic guitars, but you do forgo build quality, playability and feel relative to core guitars.

With all that said, I think you’d be very happy with any one of these guitars. I have a McCarty, which has a 25” scale like the SC250, and there’s just something magical about that guitar, both in tone and feel.

The 2007 has the more desirable adjustable stoptail. That guitar would rock hard.

Paul, the other Paul prefers the non-adjustable fwiw.

If you are tuning down to C, you will 100% need the adjustable stoptail, especially if you use any outta the norm string gauges. So either buy a guitar with it or prepare to buy one aftermarket. I know from experience.

Everyone seems to be leaning toward the shorter scale, which I get, it’s more “vintage” and classic sounding. It’s what everyone wants. Fact is, the OP is looking to do modern, aggressive rock. Doesn’t meant a 245 scale won’t be great, but logic says 250 will help for both modern tone and lower tunings. The 250 is an aggressive rock beast. The 2000, 2001 SC is a great option too, just prepare to replace the bridge with an adjustable one and probably the bridge pickup unless you want a lot of midrange.

Back