speaker swap

Vintage 30's are harsh,
After several hundred hours of play on this cab and speaker, I find the bite (more like mid peak) that characterizes the V30 to cut thru the mix way better than the ET65. In a self-amplified band environment, that's the secret to success. If I weren't another old guy still schlepping gear in cruddy bars, I'd love to find a beat up old 1960 cab and load it with 25w Greenbacks. My back just twinged thinking about it. :D

It takes a Mighty Man to play out having reached...uh..."prime" of life. ;).
Sunday...err, recovery day...reminds me that I'm not in the most prime of my life. But the fun the night before makes it all worth while.

After several Previousss ownerhours of play on this cab and speaker, I find the bite (more like mid peak) that characterizes the V30 to cut thru the mix way better than the ET65. In a self-amplified band environment, that's the secret to success. If I weren't another old guy still schlepping gear in cruddy bars, I'd love to find a beat up old 1960 cab and load it with 25w Greenbacks. My back just twinged thinking about it. :D

Sunday...err, recovery day...reminds me that I'm not in the most prime of my life. But the fun the night before makes it all worth while.

Yup......I'm 51 and I FEEL it more every night. I hate the thoughts of ditching my 4x12 cabs but my body is telling me I had getter do something.

As far as my cab goes maybe I just need to play it more. Previous owner may not have put 40 hours on it.

I'm not a fan of V30s in general, but I do like them under certain conditions. First of all, V30s MUST be broken in well. That characteristic upper-mid spike just slashes my eardrums until they're broken in properly. In a 2x12, try one G12H30 and one Vintage 30. They complement each other really well.

I know you already have the V30, so this doesn't really apply to you, but Avatar Speakers sells new, but broken-in, Celestions under their Hellatone label. They're one of the cheapest places for Celestions as well.

I'm not a fan of V30s in general, but I do like them under certain conditions. First of all, V30s MUST be broken in well. That characteristic upper-mid spike just slashes my eardrums until they're broken in properly. In a 2x12, try one G12H30 and one Vintage 30. They complement each other really well.

I know you already have the V30, so this doesn't really apply to you, but Avatar Speakers sells new, but broken-in, Celestions under their Hellatone label. They're one of the cheapest places for Celestions as well.

Good to know

Did we ever say what the amp is that's driving this cab? To me, that's as key as anything else. A tweed deluxe wants a very different cab than a Mesa Dual Rec., aside from the wattage of course. Examples (according to my tastes)

PRS MDT is nice and warm already, and seems to like high power speakers that are pretty flat in terms of response.

Most any JTM-style amp loves Celestion Blues (or Marshall T652s). So does the DG30, though that isn't JTM-style.

Mesa Roadster and PRS Archon love my PRS 2x12 with V30s.

Marshall Astoria loves the pair of creambacks that I have in a Swart 2x12.

Having said all of this, I've found that for many amps, a 1x12 can take on a significantly different (and better to me) character with G12H55s (enhanced low frequency greenback.)

I gig out once a month, and I too have given up hauling a 4x12. So long as you're talking head / cab form factor, I find that a 2x12 is as easy to carry as a 1x12...so that's what I opt for...

I've used prs 1x12 cab with 5150 head and prs custom 50 head.

I may try patching 1x12 cab to my PA in my practice room and run music through it to get speaker broke in. Maybe cut low end going to it to make it more like guitar signal.

Back