So.. It looks like I may have to build a new SK8 Guitar.

sergiodeblanc

I have always been the only guy who said no.

I believe in moving forward in life and I don't really go in for nostalgia.

Reunions are generally something I get called to do for other bands when one of their members says no.

When a band member dies.... I don't know.. I just felt as though it will never be the same, so why even try to go there?

I don't know if I just miss the other guys, or if I have had enough time to move on and I still haven't... but a few days ago when the call that comes once every few years, that I usually dread and nearly have an aneurysm over came.... I said yes.

Four hours later two nights at a club in Wicker Park were reserved for the Halloween weekend of 2013. Uhhh, what did I get myself into? I don't have an amp suitable for high-gain "rock" music anymore, I can't even listen to "Reign in Blood" in it's entirety anymore (the last album of distorted guitar that I have that doesn't make me want to punch myself in the face), and my last SK8Guitar was given to a grieving friend of the deceased to have something to remember him by.

So I'm gonna have to build another one of these:

Damn! This is getting to be my most expensive "guitar year" since 1992. Anybody know of a guitar brand I might like enough to be seen with on stage? It sounds like a NOS skate deck from an old endorsement deal is on its way... I just have to figure out what kind of guitar I'll be cutting apart in order to make a new one.

Any and all ideas are appreciated.:flute:

Never a dull moment with Sergio around. Did the grip tape ever shred your hand while playing?

Never a dull moment with Sergio around. Did the grip tape ever shred your hand while playing?

Oh, of course! If you look close enough you can see the sweat bands we were wearing on our wrists, they're not there for sweat, they are there to cut down on the bleeding! The worst part are the trucks.. perfectly positioned to hit your ribcage and your pelvic bone at the same time.

The last time I played one I was 29, it will be interesting to see how my almost 40 year old back can handle the weight of these bastids... it's like wearing two Norlin Les Pauls around your neck at the same time.

That is badassed. i have a closet full of decks......I need to make one of these! How did you mount the neck, can you show pics of the back?

The other guitarist's guitar and the bass will be arriving for repairs and tune ups, so I'll be able to snap some pics for you when they show up. (I don't have many photos from that era in my life.. too busy having a good time!)

I basically cut the "wings" off the body of the donor guitar to keep the neck joint solid, and then use the deck as a facade. There has to be enough mass to support the tension of the strings, so just bolting a neck on top of a deck doesn't offer enough stability...

Just hold off on building one until November... I think this will only be a one off show, so I'll have very little use for one afterwards.

Get Prs to build you a private stock one.
Hahahaha, most EXPENSIVE guitar year since forever!!

Over on another forum someone is selling a certain CE22 neck that I have had to repeatedly tell myself I don't need. Wonder if you could pick that guy up and make a SK8 guitar from it?

Hahahaha, most EXPENSIVE guitar year since forever!!

Over on another forum someone is selling a certain CE22 neck that I have had to repeatedly tell myself I don't need. Wonder if you could pick that guy up and make a SK8 guitar from it?

Right!? Discover Card would send a hitman to my house.

Yeah, I tell myself the same thing about that neck everyday! Didn't you see my thread about asking if anybody knows how to work with acrylic plastics? I wouldn't even have to search for tuners!

Nah, this'll have to be SE all the way, the problem is I like those too. I need to find like a blue Tremonti or Sanatna model... something I'd feel less guilty about maiming.... even then.

I have a nice set of gold covered/nickel screws (hybrid look) McCarty pups I will donate if you think they will suit the needs of the guitar...

I have a older Tremonti SE I might donate to the cause if your interested..........

I have a nice set of gold covered/nickel screws (hybrid look) McCarty pups I will donate if you think they will suit the needs of the guitar...

Hey thanks guys! I'm not lookin' for handouts on this one... I have been so fortunate this past year already, but I can't tell you how much your offers mean to me!

Wait a second... I know at least one of you will want it when I'm done with! :cheers:

Last edited:
Hey thanks guys! I'm not lookin' for handouts on this one... I have been so fortunate this past year already, but I can't tell you how much your offers mean to me!

Wait a second... I know at least one of you will want it when I'm done with! :cheers:

Word.
If you change your mind just lemme know...

I really just need to suck it up, buy some wood and build the project guitar my son and I have been talking about for a year or two...

Why not just play a regular guitar?

[creepymonotone ON]Yes...conform...be like the rest of us...don't try to stand out...[creepymonotone OFF] :eek:

OR

Rick_Nielsen.jpg

Besides, if we wanted to play 'regular guitars', we wouldn't be on a PRS forum!!!! :rock:

I know what you meant, but...

You mean versus a SK8 or project build? :)

I mean just play a guitar you already have, instead of building a new guitar for one show.

[creepymonotone ON]Yes...conform...be like the rest of us...don't try to stand out...[creepymonotone OFF] :eek:

(creepy monotone on)...how long have you been working that straight day job again, Mr. Non-Conformist? ...you know, the one where you have a boss to answer to, and a sales department to deal with, and lateral moves, and getting someone else's permission to work on what interests you, and stuff?..(creepy monotone off)

Please don't give me that sh^t about conforming, I've been the poster boy for defining one's own path since 1977. :)

The trappings of non-conformity (facial hair, haircuts, clothes, guitars) don't mean squat. It's how you choose to spend your limited time on the planet that's the difference-maker.

Sergio knows this, of course. So does Rick Nielsen.

Last edited:
I mean just play a guitar you already have, instead of building a new guitar for one show.

That is a perfectly rational outlook.. it would save money, be way more comfortable to play, possibly even sound better, and totally suck.

I may not be really good at anything in this life, but one thing I do uphold is to try my hardest at everything I do. If I just went up there with a regular guitar, I would bum so many people out! The band, the audience, the venue, the promoters, the sponsors, the memory of my dead best friend and bandmate, and myself. There is only one thing on this planet that I'm dead-serious about, and that's having a good time and entertaining people to the best of my ability.

Besides, those silly guitars did a lot for me and my old band. Playing without them would be like losing another member of the band, and I'm not emotionally equipped for that right now.... Oh, and do I need mention that I really really like customizing guitars? Building a new one is like forging your own sword before going into battle...

Back