So, I'll always be a Vela evangelist, however....

Aahzz

Bluebeard Member
I just don't play electric these days. At all. Last time I picked Daisy up to play was probably August, and it was several months before that when I plugged in. I'm all in on acoustic - I just don't play electric unless I'm in a band, and I'm having too much fun with my acoustic trio, and am probably going to go ahead and book some solo acoustic shows.

A guitar as nice as Daisy needs to be played.

So, she's been listed, along with a couple of my Eastmans, because I'm leaning towards a nicer dread than I currently have. Probably a Guild D-40, but I'm remaining open until I can get out and play a bunch. We're potentially going to Nashville in June, so I'm planning to go in with a budget and hit the stores!

It took me a while to come to this, but I'm at peace with it.

The thing is, Velas are magical - and every Vela I've played has been magical, so if I want to return to electric down the road, I'll be able to snag a Vela and know it will be an excellent guitar.

So ends this small era :).

If I go Guild it’ll be an Oxnard built, not Chinese. I intend to check out Breedloves, but I’m looking for a Dread.
Do check out some Oregon made Breedloves. I think they're consistantly great sounding/great playing acoustics.

The Concerto is the same depth as a dreadnaught.

See if you can find one to play.

I prefer the Concert which is like a Grand Auditorium.

As I'm aging and increasingly realize my gigging days are likely behind me, I'm spending most of my time with an acoustic. I doubt I'll sell my Mira, as it was the electric I was most certain to keep in my recent purge. The CiJ Tele was close.

But perhaps oddly, I sold my highest end acoustic, a Collings OM1, and decided to keep my old sapele Martin 000-15. It's darker tone and lower volume work better for me. The Collings was fantastic, but its volume and zing were a bit much in a small room.

I tried a D-15 back then but don't remember much about it other than being more certain a 000/OM was better for me.

Ever tried a Larrivee? Way back when I was shopping for my first nice acoustic, a Larrivee L-03 was a near tossup with the Martin.

As an aside, I stopped by a shop a couple months ago and tried some new acoustics, including Taylors, Martins, Yamahas, and a Gibson J-45 which I expected to love. But none of them were tempting. I sat down, looked over the wall, wondering why I felt so cold with them. Noticed a used Alvarez Dread on a stand next to me, played it, and liked it far better than the others I tried, even with old strings.

Ever tried a Larrivee? Way back when I was shopping for my first nice acoustic, a Larrivee L-03 was a near tossup with the Martin.

Larrivee makes great guitars. When I bought my first (and so far only) really good acoustic, I went looking for a Martin D-28 (Michael Hedges influence - plus Johnny Cash played Martins). I kept seeing Larrivee ads, so I decided I needed to try one. My wife and I went to a store, the guy eventually pulled down about nine acoustics and said "Have at 'em, and just work your way down to what sounds best to you." Which was ultimately a Larrivee D-09.

Fast forward a few months, I'm attending a guitar camp at a local university. I go to one of the classes about songwriting, the instructor is a Martin endorser. She notices the Larrivee, compliments it, then says, "Did you consider a Martin?" Yes, but this one sounded better. That did not go over well. "How can you say it sounded better? Did you even play them side by side? I don't understand how you could say it sounded better." Uh, because it did. To me. The person playing it.

And it's still my wife's favorite guitar, and one I've been told is not to be sold.

Larrivee makes great guitars. When I bought my first (and so far only) really good acoustic, I went looking for a Martin D-28 (Michael Hedges influence - plus Johnny Cash played Martins). I kept seeing Larrivee ads, so I decided I needed to try one. My wife and I went to a store, the guy eventually pulled down about nine acoustics and said "Have at 'em, and just work your way down to what sounds best to you." Which was ultimately a Larrivee D-09.

Fast forward a few months, I'm attending a guitar camp at a local university. I go to one of the classes about songwriting, the instructor is a Martin endorser. She notices the Larrivee, compliments it, then says, "Did you consider a Martin?" Yes, but this one sounded better. That did not go over well. "How can you say it sounded better? Did you even play them side by side? I don't understand how you could say it sounded better." Uh, because it did. To me. The person playing it.

And it's still my wife's favorite guitar, and one I've been told is not to be sold.
I had a Larrivee in the '90s, and thought it was great. I liked it better than the Martins I played, too; it sounded a bit richer. They were made in Canada at the time; I don't know if they still are.

Mine also had a very pretty headstock inlay of a woman holding a tambourine, with the moon above. I was told it was done by Larrivee's wife. I don't remember the model number.

I understand the decision and wish you the best in your endeavors! I went kind of the opposite and kept only my McPherson. I have NOT found an acoustic that could touch my McPherson.

I understand the decision and wish you the best in your endeavors! I went kind of the opposite and kept only my McPherson. I have NOT found an acoustic that could touch my McPherson.
I saw their website video, and the innovations seem great. I haven't tried one. I do see that he uses a carbon fiber truss system, something I have experience with and like very much. The video made me want to check them out!

I have a carbon fiber truss rod system in my PRS PS acoustic, and had one previously in the Artist model PRS acoustic I had. I get along with the carbon fiber for any number of reasons, but the most important one is that the guitars seem to ring more and sound more 'woody' with the carbon fiber than they do with metal truss rods vibrating in a neck. Plus the stability is fantastic.

I also had a Modulus bass with a carbon fiber neck, and it sounded truly wonderful. I made a big mistake selling it.

I see they make a completely carbon fiber guitar. That's the kind of thing I could keep handy in the studio without worrying about the effects of heat and humidity changes. Interesting!

Back