Show your pedal boards here!

Hi Guy's I haven't had a chance to take pictures yet (huge lie actually, my boards just looking fugly till some new leads arrive) but i've just swapped out my Octa-Switch looop switcher for the new Boss/Roland ES-8....It's actually blown my mind.

As far as I can see in terms of flexibility there really isn't anything that exists in this price range. Internal mixers for routing effects in Parallel loops and allowing for for delay/reverb spillover, ability to move your effects to any position in your chain using a relay matrix, ability to assign actions to any switch including midi PC and CC messages, all asignable as momentary or latching, with 6 (yes 6) control outs for amp switching and an internal virtual expression pedal. I can even assign a tap tempo function to a patch with delay on by repeatedly pressing the button i used to change to that patch.

For all my waxing lyrical, that's only scratching the surface. With the ability to change loop position and send PC/CC messages, my line 6 M5 has suddenly become the worlds most useful utility pedal. Sure I would rather use boutique or high end stuff to record with, but for live, and with the functionality the ES-8 gives it, it has to be the worlds best value pedal.

Ok i'll stop gushing, but simply bravo Boss/Roland.

Hi Guy's I haven't had a chance to take pictures yet (huge lie actually, my boards just looking fugly till some new leads arrive) but i've just swapped out my Octa-Switch looop switcher for the new Boss/Roland ES-8....It's actually blown my mind.

As far as I can see in terms of flexibility there really isn't anything that exists in this price range. Internal mixers for routing effects in Parallel loops and allowing for for delay/reverb spillover, ability to move your effects to any position in your chain using a relay matrix, ability to assign actions to any switch including midi PC and CC messages, all asignable as momentary or latching, with 6 (yes 6) control outs for amp switching and an internal virtual expression pedal. I can even assign a tap tempo function to a patch with delay on by repeatedly pressing the button i used to change to that patch.

For all my waxing lyrical, that's only scratching the surface. With the ability to change loop position and send PC/CC messages, my line 6 M5 has suddenly become the worlds most useful utility pedal. Sure I would rather use boutique or high end stuff to record with, but for live, and with the functionality the ES-8 gives it, it has to be the worlds best value pedal.

Ok i'll stop gushing, but simply bravo Boss/Roland.

That looks like an excellent system!

it really is Les, it's going to revolutionize playing live for me. There are things i've done in the studio that untill now i've only been able to approximate live due the restriction of only having 8 patches to play with and the general logistics of playing and singing simultaneously. Just being able to assign momentary functions to patches on the second press of a patch, or sending midi clock has given me so much flexibility.

it really is Les, it's going to revolutionize playing live for me. There are things i've done in the studio that untill now i've only been able to approximate live due the restriction of only having 8 patches to play with and the general logistics of playing and singing simultaneously. Just being able to assign momentary functions to patches on the second press of a patch, or sending midi clock has given me so much flexibility.

It really looks like a superb system. Any tone issues at all?

it seems very transparent, certainly far more than the Octa-Switch which always added quite a high level of colouration to the tone. I'm sure there will always be some change in tone, but apart from a slightly outdated menu system (it is Boss/Roland afterall) i'm really struggling to find fault.

I did have an issue on day one with the latching (it can also be set to change on pulse) control outs, however it may have more to do with my inexperience than anything else.

For my amp interface I have to set the control parameter to off to switch the amp channel or reverb on. It took me three hours, 4 beers and a bottle of nice Argentinian Malbec to work that out.

I worked a bit on mine to get it up to snuff, to go with the fantastic boards the rest of you have posted.

In terms of clarity and tone, this is my best iteration yet - the Koji Comp made a big difference in the usefulness and overall goodness of the board:

This may be the most elegant board I've ever laid eyes on. Awesome job. I love it.

it seems very transparent, certainly far more than the Octa-Switch which always added quite a high level of colouration to the tone. I'm sure there will always be some change in tone, but apart from a slightly outdated menu system (it is Boss/Roland afterall) i'm really struggling to find fault.

I did have an issue on day one with the latching (it can also be set to change on pulse) control outs, however it may have more to do with my inexperience than anything else.

For my amp interface I have to set the control parameter to off to switch the amp channel or reverb on. It took me three hours, 4 beers and a bottle of nice Argentinian Malbec to work that out.

Ha! That's the way to work things out! :rock:

That is so elegant and neat pedal board Les, it really reflects how tidy you like things to be in the studio (from what I read in your posts so far)
and I bet in your life too.

Right on brother :congrats:

12360084_10153328380108014_8513953134455292847_n.jpg

These are the pedals I use now.

I also have a Small Clone chorus, Boss DS-1 Distortion, Boss Octave pedal, MXR Phase 90, some sort of Ibanez Distortion, and a Zoom Multieffects pedal.

That is so elegant and neat pedal board Les, it really reflects how tidy you like things to be in the studio (from what I read in your posts so far)
and I bet in your life too.

Right on brother :congrats:

Thanks, bro!

Got an email update and figured I would update that I finally have my new boards and switcher all wired up. Now just on to doing some in depth midi programming. I hate it, by the reward in the end is worth the hassle.

Last edited:
Nice man! Digging the new board! I'm currently working on my pedalboard as well, it's pretty important to think it all out.
Can't wait to see the final result!

I've gone the route Vaughn (Vchizzle) went for now; I have great amps with superb overdrive. With the clean boost pedal to goose an amp if needed, I've discovered that I really don't need an OD pedal.

I may, however, get a fuzz on the board again for what that does.

I've gone the route Vaughn (Vchizzle) went for now; I have great amps with superb overdrive. With the clean boost pedal to goose an amp if needed, I've discovered that I really don't need an OD pedal.

I am rapidly headed in this direction. My "conservative" nature is keeping me from removing my OD pedal at the moment. It's like a security blanket just knowing its there. Maybe in another month or two???

Back