HFS or HFS 2?

Mortenz

Hello everyone,

I've got an interesting question that I'm sure the seasoned PRS experts here can easily answer. I own a PRS HFS pickup bought in 2008 (you can see it in the attached pictures). What I'm particularly keen to discover is the specific type of HFS this pickup is. I came across some information that might be helpful: HFS TREBLE - Resistance: 15k, Wire Gauge: 43 SP, Turns: 8000, Bar Magnet: Ceramic, Slugs: CRS, Machine: HFS. Additionally, there's mention of HFS 2 TREBLE, which is identical except for the slugs, marked as SS in this version.

Given the production year (2008) and the images, I'm curious if anyone can determine whether it's an HFS or HFS 2. Also, is the HFS 2 characterized by square bobbins? I'm aware that the older versions have a deeper, darker sound – a quality I prefer. Having listened to both square and round bobbin versions, I found the original (round) to have a much better tone, in my opinion. Can anyone clarify whether this change occurred before or after the alteration in pickup shape, and the type of my pickup? Will it be the darker nicer sound or is it the new (bit boring) one?
DC resistance: 15.6K, split: 7.8K

The pictures:

Paul described the HFS II as the “metal version of the HFS” with 100hz bull in the bass vs the normal HFS. It was out waaaaaaaay before the Squabbins were ever a thing. (Bobbins don’t impact tone at all either)

Yours is the normal HFS

Go to the 14 minute mark for demos

Paul described the HFS II as the “metal version of the HFS” with 100hz bull in the bass vs the normal HFS. It was out waaaaaaaay before the Squabbins were ever a thing. (Bobbins don’t impact tone at all either)

Yours is the normal HFS

Go to the 14 minute mark for demos

Thanks for the answer. The reason why I was curious is this video. Here, the difference is huge (in my opinion) between the square and round ones.

Many things can change the tone of the pickup or guitar. Bobbin shape is not one of them.

Paul has arguably “improved” his pickup making ability since the 90’s. Where people like those improvements is completely subjective.

The better test is all of the pickups in the same guitar.

If I remember correctly the Black guitar is an older CE which will also impact how it sounds.

Many things can change the tone of the pickup or guitar. Bobbin shape is not one of them.

Paul has arguably “improved” his pickup making ability since the 90’s. Where people like those improvements is completely subjective.

The better test is all of the pickups in the same guitar.

If I remember correctly the Black guitar is an older CE which will also impact how it sounds.
This!

OP- see your other thread where I posted a similar answer.

Back