HFS VS HFS 2 - Which one is mine?

Mortenz

Hello everyone,

I've got an interesting question that I'm sure the seasoned PRS experts here can easily answer. I own a PRS HFS pickup bought in 2008 (you can see it in the attached pictures). What I'm particularly keen to discover is the specific type of HFS this pickup is. I came across some information that might be helpful: HFS TREBLE - Resistance: 15k, Wire Gauge: 43 SP, Turns: 8000, Bar Magnet: Ceramic, Slugs: CRS, Machine: HFS. Additionally, there's mention of HFS 2 TREBLE, which is identical except for the slugs, marked as SS in this version.

Given the production year (2008) and the images, I'm curious if anyone can determine whether it's an HFS or HFS 2. Also, is the HFS 2 characterized by square bobbins? I'm aware that the older versions have a deeper, darker sound – a quality I prefer. Having listened to both square and round bobbin versions, I found the original (round) to have a much better tone, in my opinion. Can anyone clarify whether this change occurred before or after the alteration in pickup shape, and the type of my pickup? Will it be the darker nicer sound or is it the new (bit boring) one?
DC resistance: 15.6K, split: 7.8K

Pictures:

I have never heard of an HFS 2. The one in the pictures looks just like the one in my 2006 CU24.
Thanks for the answer. The reason why I was curious is this video. Here, the difference is huge (in my opinion) between the square and round ones.

I'm not a HFS guy and never heard of HFS2, but it wouldn't surprise me. PRS is known to tweak the sauce on pickups through the years and cross models with tweaks and/or name change.

I haven't watched the video, but when comparing pickups the guitar does effect tone with multiple factors. I've learned this in my swaps. The truer way for a comparison is the same guitar.

I'm not a HFS guy and never heard of HFS2, but it wouldn't surprise me. PRS is known to tweak the sauce on pickups through the years and cross models with tweaks and/or name change.

I haven't watched the video, but when comparing pickups the guitar does effect tone with multiple factors. I've learned this in my swaps. The truer way for a comparison is the same guitar.
Yes, you are right, I just felt like the square ones are not even close to the "original" tone.

Thanks for the answer. The reason why I was curious is this video. Here, the difference is huge (in my opinion) between the square and round ones.

I do remember watching this video on the past. I don't think they changed anything with the pickups other than the bobbins. There have been some listings around the internet where people had recorded the specs of their pickups. There is a thread on this forum somewhere as well. I used to have the spreadsheet people were passing around but it went a good while without being updated. It would be interesting to see if any of the specs other than the bobbins actually changed. I have also never seen PRS call them a second version. They just updated the bobbins and kept the name the same as far as I know.

I do remember watching this video on the past. I don't think they changed anything with the pickups other than the bobbins. There have been some listings around the internet where people had recorded the specs of their pickups. There is a thread on this forum somewhere as well. I used to have the spreadsheet people were passing around but it went a good while without being updated. It would be interesting to see if any of the specs other than the bobbins actually changed. I have also never seen PRS call them a second version. They just updated the bobbins and kept the name the same as far as I know.
@Bowtiefanatc showed me this video:

At 14:23 he explains that the HFS 2 is a "Metal" version of the HFS. So this made me confused. Now I understand that the HFS and HFS 2 are NOT the same pickup.

I also understand that the bobbins make no difference. (But still, the older ones are somehow different to me :D)

If you find the thread about this, please let me know. (I can't find it.)

Thanks!

@Bowtiefanatc showed me this video:

At 14:23 he explains that the HFS 2 is a "Metal" version of the HFS. So this made me confused. Now I understand that the HFS and HFS 2 are NOT the same pickup.

I also understand that the bobbins make no difference. (But still, the older ones are somehow different to me :D)

If you find the thread about this, please let me know. (I can't find it.)

Thanks!
So this is not something recent. I heard him day Deepdish II. I wonder if the HFS II was actually the Deepdish pickup when it made it to market. I have never seen them publicize a HFS II. The Deepdish I remember.

Back