Shipping instruments cost

I hate to be the shipping police, but you kind of got this backwards. If I ship a guitar USPS, nobody ever touches it except USPS. However, if I ship one Fed Ex, it may A) be shipped all the way there by air on USPS planes, then to Fed Ex hub for deliver by them, OR might be shipped all the way there by Fed Ex then delivered by the USPS. But, nothing shipped USPS is ever on anyone else’s delivery planes

You know how you see the FedEx drop boxes in front of the Post Office? That's because of the shipping contracts between FedEx and USPS. Of course you could have more recent info than I do, but I have personal knowledge of the contracts between FedEx and USPS. So maybe you know that something has changed very recently - for the time being I am sticking with my story.

https://about.usps.com/news/statements/022317.htm

Last edited:
You know how you see the FedEx drop boxes in front of the Post Office? That's because of the shipping contracts between FedEx and USPS. Of course you could have more recent info than I do, but I have personal knowledge of the contracts between FedEx and USPS. So maybe you know that something has changed very recently - for the time being I am sticking with my story.

https://about.usps.com/news/statements/022317.htm

No, my "source" is known for making stuff up. :)

Ok, it turns out that I mis-understood something she told me... She was talking about the "handling" of packages, not so much whose plane they are on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shipping PRS is a bit more expensive as the cases are pretty heavy. I agree with others here. If you go beyond 48" or 50" in length the price can go up.

FedEx is better for me because I can drop it off at a local center open 24 hours and not make a special trip during business hours. Also I can have any deliveries for me shipped there so I don't have to be home to sign. UPS offers that but the only location is across town.

USPS is fast and sometimes cheaper but the tracking is not really tracking. I have had some strange things happen with USPS packages.

I was going to send my S2 in a box to Florida from Illinois. USPS quoted me a few bucks lesser than $60 boxed and bubble wrapped and inside a gig bag.

Last edited:
Alas poor DTR we knew him well!
Ha, then I doubled down again. Went back to the guitar room and, inspired by Paul's video of the HX/DA, MDT and Blistertone, I cranked the ATMA up to 3:00 and played for about 30 minutes at that volume on both channels.

Not on topic, I know, but it's amazing how great they sound when you crank them up like that. Had the Archon the night before, with clean channel volume cranked, gain at 9:00, gain channel volume at noon, gain at 10:00. Yes, it's too loud for home. YES it sounds glorious. And NO, modelers do not sound like that. It's just a different level of tone once you turn them up. The bounce... the Z-Best is even better than I thought it was. Turn either amp up loud through it and just close your eyes and get lost.

Anyway, none of it worked. She poked her head in the music room and very nicely said "I'm going to bed, so I don't care if you keep playing but please turn it down some, rock and roll Howie." So it didn't work. She didn't even get a little bit ticked. Guess I'll have to try it again tonight, and, it's the Archon's turn again. :cool:

Back