Shipping instruments cost

Clashcityrocker

Curve Denier
What shipping service is the best to ship an electric or acoustic guitar? It seems like the price has gone up in the past few years.

It’s a crap shoot with any of them. Fortunately, for me, I’ve never really had any major issues, like damage. Delays, sure. But that is unavoidable with things like weather. I prefer FedEx, but for convenience reasons. They have a shipping depot a mile from my house, and I’m at he beginning of the Fed Ex delivery route, while I’m at the end of the UPS route. Some people swear by the USPS. I’ve had one delivered that way, and it was fine. Price wise, I’d think they’re all about the same.

It’s a crap shoot with any of them. Fortunately, for me, I’ve never really had any major issues, like damage. Delays, sure. But that is unavoidable with things like weather. I prefer FedEx, but for convenience reasons. They have a shipping depot a mile from my house, and I’m at he beginning of the Fed Ex delivery route, while I’m at the end of the UPS route. Some people swear by the USPS. I’ve had one delivered that way, and it was fine. Price wise, I’d think they’re all about the same.

Same for me...it really is a crap shoot...I've used UPS for the stuff I've sold. They've been consistent price wise for the last couple of years...right around 50 bucks...insured, for my part of the world anyway...YRMV

What shipping service is the best to ship an electric or acoustic guitar? It seems like the price has gone up in the past few years.
The price has gone up, for certain. I have always preferred FedEx, as their more reliable delivery times and package treatment were better, but you pay for that in marginally higher costs. UPS stands as a second pick, with boxes showing a bit more wear for the trip and delivery a bit more a roll of the dice. The post office is also an option, but I’m just not that brave.

I have to add, though, that I am in the process of a disputed charge with Reverb over FedEx raising my charges by over $70 combined on two guitars shipped in January. They stated they found an extra 1/2” dimension on one of the boxes in some phantom random “audit” conducted after they already accepted the packages, and notified me of this three weeks after both packages were delivered! The only thing worse than the utter stupidity of such a thing is that I personally measured the packages and know they were right, and FedEx’s own receipts show their scale indicated a lighter weight on each package than I claimed. I disputed it through Reverb, who did absolutely nothing. Left no choice, I disputed it through MasterCard, where I’m sure I’ll be given the money back.

Sorry for the long reply. Not asking for sympathy, but more letting people know to watch for such silliness, and to explain that my recommendation of FedEx comes with a “caveat emptor” asterisk.

You could also check out U.S. Postal service (USPS) Priority. It gets there in 2-3 days. And you can get insurance. A little known fact: the USPS overnight and priority stuff is shipped by FedEx between the origination and destination. Then USPS delivers it the 'last mile'.

The thing that kills you is not the weight but the length. The shorter you can make the box, the better price. (See Rick P. above)

Should have added costs. Can run from the mid - upper $40s to near-$100 depending on weight and value, a touch more for basses due to length. Something heavier like double necks, or guitars with heavy ATA or Artist cases can top that. You can get on any of the shipper web sites and get a quote. You’ll need to have the dimensions of the outer box (length x width x depth), weight of total package to be shipped, and insurance value to enter in order for them to calculate, along with shipping origin and destination addresses.

I just sent a Les Paul from here in Knoxville to Florida via UPS. $58 insured, got there in less than 48 hours, and no problems.

I live 3 miles from the major UPS hub here on I-75 and use them because it's close. I've never had a problem, and probably just jinxed myself for saying so.

FedEx sucks. I avoid them like the plague. UPS is the lessor of 2 evils.

Although admittedly it is a bit of regional thing. Still, FedEx sucks.

My positive contribution for the day! :)
I’d have disagreed a month ago, but something as dishonest as I experienced in January has seriously tarnished their previously shiny reputation with me. Always had great luck with them, and didn’t mind paying a little extra to get it. But this experience has certainly leveled the playing field again. In the end, I guess it’s all the same soup in different colored cans.

Any of them can be good and any can be bad, unfortunately. All depends on the hands that touch the box, and what kind of mood they are in that day. Insurance is key, otherwise shop for price and you're golden as you can be.

Any of them can be good and any can be bad, unfortunately. All depends on the hands that touch the box, and what kind of mood they are in that day. Insurance is key, otherwise shop for price and you're golden as you can be.

Be ready to fight them for it. And you’d better have pictures to prove your packing job. Take a photo of the “box stamp” to prove its strength rating, too. They will try to deny based on “shipper’s negligence.” Photos have saved me more than once.

I don’t know how y’all are shipping insured for $50-$60. Everything I ship seems to be $100 when insured for actual value.

We have a FedEx store inside the local Walmart. If you have them pack and ship, they guarantee delivery.

I don’t know how y’all are shipping insured for $50-$60. Everything I ship seems to be $100 when insured for actual value.

We have a FedEx store inside the local Walmart. If you have them pack and ship, they guarantee delivery.

I normally do it on line with UPS, and then chase down a truck (if they don't come by our office). I always insure for selling price including shipping, and it's never close to $100.
If you're really concerned about the piece, have a couple of witnesses hold the guitar in a pic right before packing and again, take photos of the packing stages.

Yep, show them photos of your packing job. I take them to a UPS store near me. I insure them for a little over the selling price. When they see the packing inside the box they don't give me any trouble.

I'm done with shipping guitars. At least for quite a while. I have sent 3 lately, two via FedEx, one USPS. All have been fairly expensive, to me. All of them over $100 each. But I insure for the full price. But I also come with my own boxes to save money. One FedEx shipping place wanted to charge me $75 just for the box. Ha. My local pack N ship place uses FedEx too, and they provide excellent packing services too. In fact I get compliments from buyers that the guitars I ship have been the best they've seen. So I trust them, and that is worth something, especially when i don't have an angry buyer. I also ship over 2 days or less, because the less time a guitar is being knocked around, the better.

But at the end of the day, when i factor in shipping costs, PP fees, Reverb fees it's almost not worth it. And normally my local CL has been awesome for me. But just not recently, and when I'm in a hurry, stuff on Reverb priced smartly, sells very quickly.

You could also check out U.S. Postal service (USPS) Priority. It gets there in 2-3 days. And you can get insurance. A little known fact: the USPS overnight and priority stuff is shipped by FedEx between the origination and destination. Then USPS delivers it the 'last mile'.

The thing that kills you is not the weight but the length. The shorter you can make the box, the better price. (See Rick P. above)
I hate to be the shipping police, but you kind of got this backwards. If I ship a guitar USPS, nobody ever touches it except USPS. However, if I ship one Fed Ex, it may A) be shipped all the way there by air on USPS planes, then to Fed Ex hub for deliver by them, OR might be shipped all the way there by Fed Ex then delivered by the USPS. But, nothing shipped USPS is ever on anyone else’s delivery planes or vehicles.

USPS Priority Mail is air shipping, vs. the ground shipping of Parcel Post, or many other shipping methods. It is statistically the safest “best handling” method available overall. Local hubs, sorting facilities, and employees can trump any of this though, to the good or the bad.

Back