Why don't the S2 Standards have moon inlays?

I like the dots on my Vela and think birds look off. Dots look normal, but diamonds I instantly thought Schecter or something. Not saying diamonds can't be done right, but dots aren't cheap to me. Love me some moons too, but Im good with the Vela how it is. If I was getting specific.. I'd rather have some aged clay dots.

I agree with every word of this post.

Could make them aged using some leather dye. It will turn them brown.

I think pearloid dots are the classiest. Not a cheap look. Vintage. Not too showy

Could make them aged using some leather dye. It will turn them brown.

I think pearloid dots are the classiest. Not a cheap look. Vintage. Not too showy
I'm not sure that would work. My understanding is PRS uses a Corian like material, non porous. Also, I'd be careful, if leather dye gets on the fretboard it will stain it.

I'm not sure that would work. My understanding is PRS uses a Corian like material, non porous. Also, I'd be careful, if leather dye gets on the fretboard it will stain it.
They can be aged. The brown dye will not lighten the color of a rosewood fretboard unless it’s crazy red. I wouldn’t advise doing it if inexperienced. It’s messy. But results are good. It’s used by some people that like to age the silver sky’s. Here is an example of an aged finish to the SE SS. I personally don’t think this looks good on the birds but would probably look bomb on dots
PRS-Silver-SKy-124.jpg

They can be aged. The brown dye will not lighten the color of a rosewood fretboard unless it’s crazy red. I wouldn’t advise doing it if inexperienced. It’s messy. But results are good. It’s used by some people that like to age the silver sky’s. Here is an example of an aged finish to the SE SS. I personally don’t think this looks good on the birds but would probably look bomb on dots
PRS-Silver-SKy-124.jpg
The birds don't bother as much as aged birds with modern gray tuner buttons and truss rod with stark white pickup covers and switches.

I was thinking darker dye than the board. Lighter probbaly wouldn't phase it much. If it's aging the birds and staying, I question PRS using corian. I wouldn't think leather dye would stay over time. My understanding is corian should be painted. That said, I've read about people using leather dye to darken fretboard and they typically say be careful of the inlays.

I have a warmoth neck with lightly aged dots. Just a shade. Looks great. Would be awesome on my satin Vela.

16229165619597565269365788421460_15633384362504816c1d5d8d0b68f70c.jpg

The birds don't bother as much as aged birds with modern gray tuner buttons and truss rod with stark white pickup covers and switches.

I was thinking darker dye than the board. Lighter probbaly wouldn't phase it much. If it's aging the birds and staying, I question PRS using corian. I wouldn't think leather dye would stay over time. My understanding is corian should be painted. That said, I've read about people using leather dye to darken fretboard and they typically say be careful of the inlays.

I have a warmoth neck with lightly aged dots. Just a shade. Looks great. Would be awesome on my satin Vela.

Yes I have used dyes on PRS. It does darken the plain white birds. It does not do anything to any pearloid or pau shells. I agree that it does seem dumb to age the birds but leave the rest of the plastics and metals mint!

This thread has reminded me that I need to hit up my fretboard on a relic strat project I have!

My Jason Isbell RoadieWorn Telecaster has aged/faded dots as well as aged hardware and scuffs. Don't love alot of relic/pre relic stuff but that MIM Fender is a thing of pure beaut!!!

The plain n' ugly dots are a big deterrent for me even on the Core models. A friend has wanted to trade me a Stripped 58 for ages, absolutely fabulous guitar by my estimation, but those dots! Oh well.

Cheers!

Back