Why don't the S2 Standards have moon inlays?

CivoLee

They couldn't cost THAT much more.

Dots on any guitar other than a Fender or an acoustic just make them look cheap. Even something like diamonds or those outlined inlays the NF/DC3 had would be better.

Moons would be more better, but I don’t mind the dots on my vela
I like the dots on my Vela and think birds look off. Dots look normal, but diamonds I instantly thought Schecter or something. Not saying diamonds can't be done right, but dots aren't cheap to me. Love me some moons too, but Im good with the Vela how it is. If I was getting specific.. I'd rather have some aged clay dots.

Last edited:
They couldn't cost THAT much more.

Dots on any guitar other than a Fender or an acoustic just make them look cheap. Even something like diamonds or those outlined inlays the NF/DC3 had would be better.
I don't think dots look cheap. However, many SE's have birds and moons. So, it seems inlays like those can't be too expensive for PRS to add to the S2 fretbaords. All three of my SE's have bird inlays.

Mother of Pearl dots would be better. I don’t think moons are necessary. But a nice subtle pearloid dot would be classy. I’m fine with velas and standards having dots. I only wish the finishes were more fun than the basic current colors. PRS has done cooler finishes on CEs and former standards. Why not modern ones they offer?

I’m with @spawnofthesith. I guess I would prefer moons. That said, the dots help contribute to the functional aesthetic of the S2 Standards, especially the satin ones like mine. I had so many people tell me, “I‘m not into the fancy PRS thing, but your guitar is really cool”. I like all the permutations of PRS, but the S2s have their own thing going.

I am also a fan of the smaller plain birds used on the silver sky’s. I think it’s a better look than the larger ones

Dots on any guitar other than a Fender or an acoustic just make them look cheap.
Says who?

The S2 was deliberately designed with a gigantic plastic pickguard and fewer frills to fill a particular niche. It reminds me of my 1965 SG Special. Simple, classic guitar with dots.

Not every guitar has to be bullsh!t fancy. It's good to have variety.

"But Laz, you buy the bullsh!t fancy ones."

"Yup. I'm that guy. But I already have the SG thing covered."

Last edited:
Says who?
You know the saying, opinions are like.. :D

Not every guitar has to be bullsh!t fancy. It's good to have variety.
Couldn't agree more. One of the things I like about my PRS is the variety of my fretboards. Every single one of them is different.. various birds, multiple dot materials, moons, and even inlay free. All are unique and cool in their own way.

One thing we would all hate to see:

A PRS guitar with standard white/pearl dot inlays. How basic can you be PRS? ;)

For even my Santana SE, the simplest of designs have some unique shaded bird inlays across the board. Which reflect nicely in the "moon"-light.

That said, I've said in a couple threads on here, I do want a DGT SE gold top soon as my third PRS guitar. The moon inlays look truly lovely on that!

One thing we would all hate to see:

A PRS guitar with standard white/pearl dot inlays. How basic can you be PRS? ;)
My Stripper 58 disagrees.. No lap dance for you!

Screenshot_20211031-202722_Gallery5e82aab3f9f367aa.jpg

Dont worry Goldie, I love your pearls.. I brought you home because you didn't have birds, binding, or a crazy top.. You're an amazing guitar!

Don't get jealous Vela, I love your white dots too! And wouldn't have you any other way..

Screenshot_20220816-100405_Galleryd4159c5d8cc3d3f6-1b09bea498aff50f5.jpg

My Stripper 58 disagrees.. No lap dance for you!

Screenshot_20211031-202722_Gallery5e82aab3f9f367aa.jpg

Dont worry Goldie, I love your pearls.. I brought you home because you didn't have birds, binding, or a crazy top.. You're an amazing guitar!

Don't get jealous Vela, I love your white dots too! And wouldn't have you any other way..

Screenshot_20220816-100405_Galleryd4159c5d8cc3d3f6-1b09bea498aff50f5.jpg
I dig the Vela!

Back