Mining For Gold...

Mark Ray

The RockTrain
Didn't wake up planning to buy a new guitar. Sam Ash had a few DGT SE Goldtops listed as "open box" for a crazy low price & free shipping. I like my sunburst one so much that I had to grab the other finish as well:
FYSTgUo.jpg

Your thought process and choice are exemplary! Congrats on a golden future!! I have been seeing some for such low prices that I have considered them, but have not overcome the guilt factor to bring myself to acquire one ;~)) Your purchase helps me feel the shame and pushes me towards ignoring such guilt!!! Thank you for your assistance ;~))

Your thought process and choice are exemplary! Congrats on a golden future!! I have been seeing some for such low prices that I have considered them, but have not overcome the guilt factor to bring myself to acquire one ;~)) Your purchase helps me feel the shame and pushes me towards ignoring such guilt!!! Thank you for your assistance ;~))
Just call me an Enabler LOL!

Didn't wake up planning to buy a new guitar. Sam Ash had a few DGT SE Goldtops listed as "open box" for a crazy low price & free shipping. I like my sunburst one so much that I had to grab the other finish as well:
FYSTgUo.jpg

Uhm no, but I did search the deals for a seDGT because of this thread. Great se for sure!
For sure! Anything good left or maybe all gone by now? For me personally the SE's are enough, maybe I'm wrong but I am thinking with some light mods should be able to match in playability and quality to the Core models in a sense, more ways than one at least. I suppose not really any different from a professional musician preferring a Mexican Modern low grade Fender over a American Vintage/Ultra Fender which is common :D

I just don't see the point of spending $2,000 or more on a guitar. It's not that I don't have the money but more of, I know I can be as happy with something for less and that a $2,000+ guitar won't give me anything more than I can from say a fully upgraded $900 guitar or a $1,500 guitar with light upgrading which is still considerably less money. Then again, I have spent a bit more than 2k on amps so maybe I am not justified after all lol I just have never spent that much on any of my guitars but not saying anyone shouldn't if they wanted.

I found out today someone at my church has this one:

^Pretty nice but looked a bit more pink or brighter in person.

I just don't see the point of spending $2,000 or more on a guitar. It's not that I don't have the money but more of, I know I can be as happy with something for less and that a $2,000+ guitar won't give me anything more than I can from say a fully upgraded $900 guitar or a $1,500 guitar with light upgrading which is still considerably less money. Then again, I have spent a bit more than 2k on amps so maybe I am not justified after all lol I just have never spent that much on any of my guitars but not saying anyone shouldn't if they wanted.
Subject is beat to death here and through about every corner of the internet. I definitely did not intend to bring that horse back to life. All I got is I mod mod and mod away and plenty of core under $2k too. Burying that horse with an epic send off riff.

I found out today someone at my church has this one:

^Pretty nice but looked a bit more pink or brighter in person.
Cool guitar but I wouldn't want anything commemorating a GC 40th anniversary. I wouldn't even bury that next to the horse! :D

Subject is beat to death here and through about every corner of the internet. I definitely did not intend to bring that horse back to life. All I got is I mod mod and mod away and plenty of core under $2k too. Burying that horse with an epic send off riff.

Cool guitar but I wouldn't want anything commemorating a GC 40th anniversary. I wouldn't even bury that next to the horse! :D
The horse with no name is beaten only to his true master "Death", a horseman of the apocalypse. The horse with no name (and the best version of the song, not subjective!!)

But back to the modding horse, you see, I could sell some of these guitars for 2 times the price of the money I bought and put into them. That's the thing, it's not really any different from a Custom Shop guitar. I bought a super low-end Gretsch new for $899, put it through the plek, got it set up and put some Brian Setzer pickups in it as well as some other mods. By the time all was said and done, I must have spent a total of $1,300 and then someone offered to buy it, they asked how much I would sell it for since they know guitars (better than me), they said they'd give me $2,400 flat. I turned them down because I love the guitar I created and I told them it wasn't worth nearly that much. Maybe it is but it didn't cost me that so I couldn't cheat him. It's just an example.

Anyway, I suppose this wouldn't be a fair story now since everyone knows the worth of the guitars but if I hadn't had mentioned prices, it would be interesting to see who thinks what is worth. It's too easy for anyone to say "I'd know that was a cheap guitar off the bat" but that's rarely the case, innit?

Last edited:
Back