Serial numbers and production years

tdroid

I recently got an SE Hollowbody II Piezo, and I'm absolutely loving it. However, I'm having trouble figuring out the model year. The serial number begins with CTCF, which according to the website means it's a 2022 model, however there are Standard Piezo models, that were only made in 2023, that also have CTCF serial numbers.

Can anyone help me make sense of this?

You could email PRS customer service and they would be able to answer your question regarding year of manufacture. congrats on a nice guitar btw.

A model may have been introduced in 2023, but produced in 2022. They build them before the product introduction.

You could email PRS customer service and they would be able to answer your question regarding year of manufacture. congrats on a nice guitar btw.
Thanks. Yeah, I find myself playing it unplugged a lot, as well.

I've e-mailed customer service, and they've told me its a 2022, but it has the LT S pickups. He said LT S pickups are just rebranded 58/15 S, but I doubt his claim, as I've seen people testing the resistance on the original 58/15 S vs the 58/15 LT S, and the LT S are definitely lower.

This is from the e-mail I was sent.
They are the same pickups in the 2022 model and the 2023 model, they are both LT which means Low Turn. The name was updated to reflect the LT in the name.

Thanks. Yeah, I find myself playing it unplugged a lot, as well.

I've e-mailed customer service, and they've told me its a 2022, but it has the LT S pickups. He said LT S pickups are just rebranded 58/15 S, but I doubt his claim, as I've seen people testing the resistance on the original 58/15 S vs the 58/15 LT S, and the LT S are definitely lower.

This is from the e-mail I was sent.

2022 still had the 5815S. Here's a screenshot and the links to PRS description for '22 se Hb2 piezo and non. Plus 2023 showing 5815LTS.

Screenshot_20231008_142703_Chromed20cdf0c8aea291d.jpg

https://prsguitars.com/electrics/model/se_hollowbody_ii_piezo_2022

https://prsguitars.com/electrics/model/se_hollowbody_ii_2022

https://prsguitars.com/electrics/model/se_hollowbody_ii_2023

https://prsguitars.com/electrics/model/se_hollowbody_ii_piezo_2023

Thanks, yeah I've seen that, thus the confusion. As customer service claimed otherwise. There's also an element of doubt as the HB Standard Piezo (new to '23) model also has the CTCF serial, and comes with the LT S. You'd think they'd be plugging all the same pickups into the SE HB guitars, as they're in the same factory, and the only electrics made in that factory.

Thanks, yeah I've seen that, thus the confusion. As customer service claimed otherwise. There's also an element of doubt as the HB Standard Piezo (new to '23) model also has the CTCF serial, and comes with the LT S. You'd think they'd be plugging all the same pickups into the SE HB guitars, as they're in the same factory, and the only electrics made in that factory.
Welcome.

I'm kinda suspect on the CSR myself as well, shouldn't have to be, but human error and training curves are a thing. The limited readings in the other thread start to support that some too. But there's not enough data posted to really say one way or the other.

Where did you get the serial number information for the standard piezo? PRS hasn't posted '23 serial numbers on the website yet.

PRS has been known to have transition years, but that's pretty much been the core line from what I've read. I'm not sure how that would go with an overseas factory.

I do know my readings are on the low side, but not as low as the one posted for LTS. Have you taken your readings?

I'm kinda suspect on the CSR myself as well, shouldn't have to be, but human error and training curves are a thing. The limited readings in the other thread start to support that some too. But there's not enough data posted to really say one way or the other.

Where did you get the serial number information for the standard piezo? PRS hasn't posted '23 serial numbers on the website yet.

PRS has been known to have transition years, but that's pretty much been the core line from what I've read. I'm not sure how that would go with an overseas factory.

I do know my readings are on the low side, but not as low as the one posted for LTS. Have you taken your readings?
Sweetwater website lists the serial numbers of the guitars for sale (picture below)

And no, I have don't have any way to take readings and I don't want to risk scratching my guitar or dropping a screw by taking the pickups out to read the label.

Sweetwater website lists the serial numbers of the guitars for sale (picture below)

And no, I have don't have any way to take readings and I don't want to risk scratching my guitar or dropping a screw by taking the pickups out to read the label.
Duh!?!? I didn't even think of the candy slingers...

Just use a patch cable, shorter the better, and take the reading from the jack. Pick up a cheapo multimeter from Amazon. It comes in handy!

Edit- Most of the Hollowbody, regardless of specs have a CTCF, I did see a CTFG, which I assume is 2023. The rest being 2022? Since my pickup readings are lower than one posted, but higher than the '23, Maybe 2022 was a transition year?

The standard piezo came out this year though, but maybe started in '22 to be ready to ship in '23?

Last edited:
Back