SE One Pickup replacement

GS1

So, anyone replace their SE One soapbar with a Gibson P-90? Make a nice difference?

Thanks!

I played the stock pup. It was pretty good. I've heard of some putting in the Lollar P90 though.

I tried a couple different pickups in the one I had. The stock pickup rocks. I see no point unless you're going noiseless, tapped, or lower output.

Thanks guys, I know the stock pu is pretty decent, I just really like the "original"! I briefly had a One, and it was great. Another case of "why did I sell that"?! Anyway, looks like I have a second chance at one.

I have one One with a Lollar, the others all have the stock PU. I honestly don't hear that much difference, just maybe the Lollar has a bit more "deepness".
Could be me beeing tone deaf :D
The Lollar also is a bit more noisy with more gain.
I feel no need to swap the PU in the other One's

if you don`t like the stock P90, consider a better volume control and a Butyrate cover. I have 2 SE P90 single cuts with stock pickups and new volume controls. They sound great.

Can you please let me know where you picked up the butyrate cover? I am not sure of what size to go with. I wanted to change the color of the cover anyway, so why not try something different.

Hopefully you got my private message. Philadelphia Luthies has the butyrate covers, and they are the correct size.

I have the mojotone volume mod on my One as well as upgraded volume pot. I also replaced the pickup with a TV Jones T-90. Freaking awesome tone.....

Cool, I will look into that, thanks. Basically going for a good, screaming LP Junior sound.

I have the mojotone volume mod on my One as well as upgraded volume pot......
I am probably going to try the Mojotone volume mod (This and a pot would be a super cheap mod, and reversible.) Can you please share which volume pot you used? I assume a 250k? It looks like they sell several, including a vintage taper.

Thanks

Gibson's new P-90 sounds nothing like a '50s era P-90, IMO, so if that's what you pursue, there are better options. Otherwise, there are other good options (like the Thorn Stapletop). The hummer-sized Gibson P-94 is pretty good, though not for your One. I have a '56 Junior and a One and added a V-Treb circuit and concentric pot to the One to finally get the darker vintage tone.

So, I talked to both Mojotone and RS Guitarworks, and they both recommended going with a 500k volume pot, not the 250k or 280k respectively. Maybe I should just get one of each, and see which one I prefer.

Good plan. I like the 280K because it tames the high-end of a guitar that I found to be a little too shrill - without taking away its gritty edge. If I had a tone pot, I'd stay with the 500K pot.

Hans perfectly describes what a reduction in volume pot value does to tone. If you don't want to add a tone pot, his suggestion is the most logical solution.

Back