SE One Pickup replacement

Don't route! There are so many alternatives out there without noise. I don't have a problem with the noise, personally. But my minihumbucker is from my '79 Les Paul Deluxe, and while I like it a lot, I'm missing the P-90 that I love. Lollar is one option I'm considering, for a change.

Love the Lollar I put in mine.

Don't route! There are so many alternatives out there without noise. I don't have a problem with the noise, personally. But my minihumbucker is from my '79 Les Paul Deluxe, and while I like it a lot, I'm missing the P-90 that I love. Lollar is one option I'm considering, for a change.
Guys! Why tame the beast? Let it roar. The magic of a P90 is the grit, and drive. Turn the volume knob down and you get the silence you're looking for. Turn it up and play with all the goodness of a true P90.

Guys! Why tame the beast? Let it roar. The magic of a P90 is the grit, and drive. Turn the volume knob down and you get the silence you're looking for. Turn it up and play with all the goodness of a true P90.
Don't worry, mine will be a P-90. There's no doubt about that! ;)

This one is Daznic's old one which I got a couple of years ago (other forum), and he'd already had some fun with different pickups and routed the bridge for an HB, so I also did the neck and put in bareknuckles MQs HB P90s

Since the photo I've put a proper volume knob on, its vol, vol tone and changed out the alpha pots for CTS and a twebble bleed on the neck. 50s wiring
I think the soldering iron wants released from the box once a year or something like that

Still love it to bits and have same pickups in my travel guitar.

The soapie is either 03 or 04, I did check but promptly forgot

b4dan4.jpg

iwhimo.jpg

It used to look like this, soapie-caster

oqcf7o.jpg

and then this too

104ordc.jpg

Last edited:

I definitely don't want to route, but I do lot of recording and the hum levels are unacceptable. My house is old, and this thing buzzes like a cheap TV when I have my gain up.

I l love the P90 sound, but I have yet to find a humcancelling model that captures it. I've been looking for years, at elst since the early 90's. It seems a lot of the models available (Lollar, Fralin, etc) are underwound for a cleaner sound. That ain't the P90 I love, Jack. Fat, snarly, and greasy!

I definitely don't want to route, but I do lot of recording and the hum levels are unacceptable. My house is old, and this thing buzzes like a cheap TV when I have my gain up.

I l love the P90 sound, but I have yet to find a humcancelling model that captures it. I've been looking for years, at elst since the early 90's. It seems a lot of the models available (Lollar, Fralin, etc) are underwound for a cleaner sound. That ain't the P90 I love, Jack. Fat, snarly, and greasy!

How about one of these

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HumDebugger

If I still had mine (tiny twinge of regret for selling it), I'd look into the Mojotone Quiet Coil. It's called a "56" so it may be on the cleaner side. I'd be interested to see how it stacks up heat-wise and if they plan on making any other variations.

I have used the DiMarzio VP-90 which was pretty cool, but truly was just a P-90 voiced humbucker. I also tried the Kent Armstrong Stealth 90, which had a great single coil tone but it was lower output and cleaner and didn't scratch the itch.

Nobody has mentioned the Kinman p90hx pickups. Do those require routing of the body?

Hi all. I have an SE One - SNr I01159 Made in Korea. My learning curve has been interrupted many times and way too often. I need darker and deeper sounds to get my house in order and practicing is quite a meditative affair. Still quite the bedroom player i have it plugged into a Warwick BC 40 Bass Amp - Mids and Trebs dialed to zero. With bass and volume (amp and guitar) on full it is an amazing experience. Open E goose bumps.

Is there an aftermarket P90 that goes darker and deeper (Drop-in no mods to body, wiring is not a problem if necessary) than the stock unit through a regular guitar amp - I have a Fender G-Dec Junior and an Epiphone Valve Junior at my disposal - or perhaps i should just leave it as is and use the Warwick as my go to. I prefer to stick to standard tuning as well.

I find that any sort of tech work makes the playing experience much more fulfilling (shout out to Robert M. Pirsing) but i won't change the P90 just as a form of occupational therapy.

Thanks for reading and any tips will be thankfully accepted :)

mAd

omg yes

bare knuckles stockholm - i had the humbucker sized one and it was so deep and heavy it felt like what i imagine a baritone to sound like

i think it probably communicated with submarines or aliens

omg yes

bare knuckles stockholm - i had the humbucker sized one and it was so deep and heavy it felt like what i imagine a baritone to sound like

i think it probably communicated with submarines or aliens

Interesting. Drop-in, no woodworking involved? Warpig?

Hi all. I have an SE One - SNr I01159 Made in Korea. My learning curve has been interrupted many times and way too often. I need darker and deeper sounds to get my house in order and practicing is quite a meditative affair. Still quite the bedroom player i have it plugged into a Warwick BC 40 Bass Amp - Mids and Trebs dialed to zero. With bass and volume (amp and guitar) on full it is an amazing experience. Open E goose bumps.

Is there an aftermarket P90 that goes darker and deeper (Drop-in no mods to body, wiring is not a problem if necessary) than the stock unit through a regular guitar amp - I have a Fender G-Dec Junior and an Epiphone Valve Junior at my disposal - or perhaps i should just leave it as is and use the Warwick as my go to. I prefer to stick to standard tuning as well.

I find that any sort of tech work makes the playing experience much more fulfilling (shout out to Robert M. Pirsing) but i won't change the P90 just as a form of occupational therapy.

Thanks for reading and any tips will be thankfully accepted :)

mAd

Sounds like you need a tone control and change to 250k pots while you're at it.

It's a little tight, but you can fit two pots in the existing routing. You can get some wiggle room by using a couple of good mini pots.

A no-drilling option is a dual stacked pot.

Or you can experiment with caps and resistors on the pot to darken it to your liking. You could even use a push/pull pot to choose between two different values.

It's a little tight, but you can fit two pots in the existing routing. You can get some wiggle room by using a couple of good mini pots.
Or you can experiment with caps and resistors on the pot to darken it to your liking. You could even use a push/pull pot to choose between two different values.

@garrett that is super motivational. thank you so much for this.

do you have pics how you to soder a Push/pull poti ? How would you integrate a neck pickup? I know I am Late to the game. Just got a 2007er.

Keep the stock pup and change the volume pot to a 280k super pot from RS guitarworks. My $.02.
Hi there, new to the forum, followed the rabbit down this hole! I've just received my RS Guitarworks 280K Super Pot to replace the existing on my SE One, however I'm pretty green when it comes to the electronics, I've read that the best way to replace the pot is like for like, however there are a couple of wires soldered to the base of the stock pot (not on a terminal, assuming this is grounding or something?) do i solder these in exactly the same way on the new pot? Also there is a small capacitor currently installed, (something to do with HF when rolling the volume off from what i've read) do i swap this over to the new pickup too? Thanks for any advice, sorry if this is old news!

Hi there, new to the forum, followed the rabbit down this hole! I've just received my RS Guitarworks 280K Super Pot to replace the existing on my SE One, however I'm pretty green when it comes to the electronics, I've read that the best way to replace the pot is like for like, however there are a couple of wires soldered to the base of the stock pot (not on a terminal, assuming this is grounding or something?) do i solder these in exactly the same way on the new pot? Also there is a small capacitor currently installed, (something to do with HF when rolling the volume off from what i've read) do i swap this over to the new pickup too? Thanks for any advice, sorry if this is old news!
Yes, you'll need those grounding wires on the back of the pot.

The capacitor is likely a treble-bleed mod, as you noted. That's up to you for taste. It lets you keep the highs when rolling off the volume so it doesn't get as dark.

It should be a tone cap and you’ll benefit - solidly - from keeping it. Otherwise, the high end will get harsh. Just solder the new pot into the exact same position as the original, with all wires and other components preserved. The RS SuperPot will act as a tone enhancement by shifting the resonant frequency of the circuit. I like it a lot!

Could not get used to the P90, changed it for Seth lover, split switch and tone. Now have 3 great tones from this lovely guitar, neck is soo comfortable

9J3DmRq.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

It should be a tone cap and you’ll benefit - solidly - from keeping it. Otherwise, the high end will get harsh. Just solder the new pot into the exact same position as the original, with all wires and other components preserved. The RS SuperPot will act as a tone enhancement by shifting the resonant frequency of the circuit. I like it a lot!
Thanks for both of your replies guys, really helpful! I'll stick it in exactly as the old one and see how she goes! Thanks again.

Back