SE One Pickup replacement

I like the Superpot idea, but while checking out the RS website, I noticed that they sell a pre-wired Junior harness. Comes with the super pot and tone control. So, who knows if there is enough room in there for the tone pot? Or is it going to require some routing, which I don't really want to do.

It depends on where your comfort zone is for control placement. Technically, there's enough room to fit 2 pots but you may not like where they land. That's why I went the concentric route.

It depends on where your comfort zone is for control placement. Technically, there's enough room to fit 2 pots but you may not like where they land. That's why I went the concentric route.
Kind of what I was afraid of. Thanks.

There's definitely room for a tone pot. The extra space is in closer to the strings, so it'll put the volume pot closer to your hand, which may or may not be a good thing to you. If you look at pics of most any modded One, you'll get the idea.

Agreed. There is room for a tone pot without routing the existing cavity (assuming the dual-concentric pot doesn't tickle your fancy) but they will be closer together than some people like. It doesn't bother me at all.

By the way, I didn't use the existing hole (in the pick-guard) on either pot. I did this so I could take full advantage of the existing route and get the two pots as far apart as possible. I made a plug from another pick-guard for the existing hole in the guard (super glue wins again). You can't see the seam from the plug because the knob covers it.

BMF_3_Hero_zpsjvimgxhh.png

Last edited:
So, I talked to both Mojotone and RS Guitarworks, and they both recommended going with a 500k volume pot, not the 250k or 280k respectively. Maybe I should just get one of each, and see which one I prefer.
A good friend just bought another brand that is a single P90. He got it for nothing, sight unseen. We plugged it in, and HOLY MOTHER OF GOD! THe tone was so sick we all call this guitar Filthy McNasty. THere were 500K pots in it, and a chiclet capacitor. We have not yet identified the cap brand.. All 3 of my P90 guitars have 500k volume pots. I recommend that route.

GS1's plan is a good one. Try them both and see which one he likes.

If his existing pot is a 500k and the tone is too bright, adjust the amp, try the 280k, and/or try pure nickel strings. If the existing 500K is good, quit pontificating and just play the damn thing.

Last edited:
Stupid question but related to the soapbar pickup - which springs are used to mount it? My Soapbar II arrived with no pickups. Replacement pickup did not include mounting screws or springs.

Stupid question but related to the soapbar pickup - which springs are used to mount it? My Soapbar II arrived with no pickups. Replacement pickup did not include mounting screws or springs.

Lil' squishy pieces-o-foam.

Squishy foam and springs to make the height correct for the sound I want. Check various luthier supply places.

Well, it's not as sophisticated a mod as some here, but I had a Thorn Staple Top installed in my PRS SE One last week...

u1EY3mQ.jpg

XXzBdMH.jpg

Took the guitar out for a lengthy jam last night through my main pedal board and Mesa Express 5:25 Plus, and I have to say it sounded great! It's just an incredibly articulate and touch sensitive pickup that lets you go from clean to mean to scream just with your fingers and pick attack. It cleans up so beautifully with the volume control it's almost sublime... The highs are clear and sharp, verging on Tele-like, but with plenty of grunt and vowel-like mids... I just love it!

Staple tops are one of the best!

After a hugely successful gig last night using the SE One for 80% of the show, the mini humbucker proved to be a fantastic choice. This is a rockin' country band, so tonally, it fit perfectly (probably not so good for metal), but it sat in the mix well then stepped over for solos with ease. And considering that it weighs 4+ lbs lighter than my Les Paul, it was a joy to schlep until 2am. (As much as one can enjoy schlepping something at 2am)

I had to keep my butt to the speaker cab to keep the solos from running out of control (that pup is notorious for squeal) but the "edge of insanity" is what we all seek, right? :D

Staple tops are one of the best!

After a hugely successful gig last night using the SE One for 80% of the show, the mini humbucker proved to be a fantastic choice. This is a rockin' country band, so tonally, it fit perfectly (probably not so good for metal), but it sat in the mix well then stepped over for solos with ease. And considering that it weighs 4+ lbs lighter than my Les Paul, it was a joy to schlep until 2am. (As much as one can enjoy schlepping something at 2am)

I had to keep my butt to the speaker cab to keep the solos from running out of control (that pup is notorious for squeal) but the "edge of insanity" is what we all seek, right? :D

Which mini-humbucker do you use? I love the tone of my SE One, but can't stand the hum and I don't want to route it

Which mini-humbucker do you use? I love the tone of my SE One, but can't stand the hum and I don't want to route it
Don't route! There are so many alternatives out there without noise. I don't have a problem with the noise, personally. But my minihumbucker is from my '79 Les Paul Deluxe, and while I like it a lot, I'm missing the P-90 that I love. Lollar is one option I'm considering, for a change.

Back