SE Mods

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by slev, Apr 26, 2012.

1. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Yes, there are. Long story short; I was attempting to install PIII's on my Ted, but couldn't get the bushings out. I ended up with a locking set of Kluson's. I don't recall the model number though. I was just looking at their website and couldn't find them They lock from the top of the post. They work fine, and look like the originals. It looks like what they have on the website now all lock with a thumbscrew on the bottom.

Actually, I think it was these:

http://www.kluson.com/vintage-stamped-steel.html

3 on a side locking - about half way down the page.

2. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc Silver pants make me wanna dance.

I think he needs some with the washer and nut, like on some Gibson's since the 245 tuner holes are bigger than the Kluson ferrule type.

3. drdoom8793

drdoom8793 THAT guy at Chick-fil-A

Yeah that's what I was thinking. A direct drop-in replacement doesn't seem to exist. Tuning stability is fine on my SE245 so I'll just leave the stock tuners for now.

However, I did use some Christmas money and gift cards to get some upgrades!

For my SE245:
    • Core PRS nut
    • Seymour Duncan sh-11 Custom Custom in the bridge
    • Seymour Duncan sh-1 '59 in the neck
    For my SE Custom 24:
    • Core PRS nut
    • John Mann's modded SE locking tuners
    Pics to come after upgrades get completed!

4. Antmax

Antmax New Member

My Zach Myers came with 9's and plenty of other people in various reviews have mentioned that theirs came with 9's too. One Youtube review didn't like the guitar initially, brittle and tuning problems till he upgraded the strings to 10's. The 9's on mine are like spaghetti and will have to be changed. I haven't done it yet since I don't want to have to widen the slots if the thicker strings stick. Going to order a replacement nut to use instead.

Here's a take two video where the reviewer gave the ZM a second chance with thicker gauge strings.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  5. charliefrench

charliefrench New Member

Be extremely when careful removing the old nut. Those things are well glued on. I should know.

gasmansteve72 and Antmax like this.
  6. Antmax

Antmax New Member

Will do. I'll be sure to score the edge to make sure the polyurethane on the neck doesn't get damaged too.

@daddski1 I had some old strings I was going to recycle, got a 0.010 and tried it in the stock Zach Myers nut. the e was a tight fit with some friction and slight grab when you lift the string out the slot. They cut the nuts really fine.

I also noticed that the graphtech nuts #PT-6643-00 recommended for the SE has narrower 35.22mm E - e string spacing to the stock PRS nut which is 36.20mm. Graphtech PT-6000-00 and PT-6010-00 have the correct spacing but are slightly thinner (roughly 1mm) like the PRS USA nuts.

Don't know if that's useful to anyone. Thought I'd share anyway.

7. charliefrench

charliefrench New Member

Why not try widening the slots in your existing nut first. Finish the slots with fine grit sandpaper. Go for a real polished surface to make them nice and slippery. I use olive oil as a lubricant. If it does not work out then change the nut. If the new nut is not precut to your specs you will need to work on it anyway.

This thread may interest you.

https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/can-you-repair-a-low-string-slot.21890/

bodia likes this.
  8. Boogie

Boogie SuperD

You should not need to make any nut adjustments until the bass string exceeds .048. Even then, a quick run-thru with a file on the one slot should cover it. I’ve run 11s (.011-.048) on every one of my PRSi without needing nut mods.

(Insert jokes here)

9. Ken Mandu

Ken Mandu New Member

Bummer to be a new guy. This most likely interesting thread is unreadable due to its length.

10. Boogie

Boogie SuperD

Then you’ll really hate the Private Stock Friday thread. :D (its worth taking the time to review. If it generated that much response, it’s got to be good.)

d1backwoods, dsenoj, grausch and 2 others like this.
  11. Kjetil Hallén

Kjetil Hallén New Member

Like the mod a lot. I have searced for

I like that mod. I want to buy the Se Santana, but the lack of coil-splits is holding me back.

Do you have schematics to this mod, I have tried to Google modern 2013+ without any luck? Thanks in advance (sorry for the bad English).

tonytester likes this.
  12. Stoptail22

Stoptail22 Infected with PRS

I named it "modern 2013+" because in earlier years split coil mini switches were realized without any accompanying resistors. It is not an established term.

The most descriptive schematic can be found here: http://www.prsguitars.com/csc/schematics/2012/me_quatro_2012.pdf. Instead of using one switch for both pickups, I use one switch for each of them. I hope your pickups can be splitted at all. The original ones in my guitar do not have this feature, as I remember.

Kjetil Hallén likes this.
  13. Kjetil Hallén

Kjetil Hallén New Member

Thank you so much for Your reply. I have been told that the Santana pickups are four conductor. IF not, I'll buy new ones. It may be a yellow Santana to join the strat. Thanks again :)

14. John Beef

John Beef Opaque

It depends on what year the Santana was made. I have an 03 that looks a lot like the one above and it only had 2 conductor.

15. tonytester

tonytester PIC YOUR STRINGS WISELY

good job on the mods looks good
    sounds good also. RIGHT

16. MichaelS

MichaelS I'm here for the free kool-aid...

Just look at the pictures!
    The way I read books ;)

d1backwoods likes this.
  17. jdag

jdag New Member

So I changed my strings today, and decided to try 10s as I've always used 9s in the past. My 1st impression is that I do prefer the feel of the 10s, but it also could be simply that it is a different/new set of strings, so I will hold off judgement.

The strings seem to be sitting well in the stock SE Custom nut, which was the 1st thing I checked. But then I noticed that my bridge is resting significantly higher from the body. I assume that is because of the greater pulling tension from the thicker strings. Is that the case? Is that normal?

I currently have 4 springs on the trem, with 1 more extra in my bag. Is moving to 5 necessary? Or, do I just need to have the guitar professionally serviced or move back to 9s?

Thanks! John

18. MichaelS

MichaelS I'm here for the free kool-aid...

You can try adding the spring and see what it does. Probably don't need more springs. That part is more about feel IMO.
    My guess is that with either number of springs you'll need to adjust the screws holding in the claw to put the trem back in the proper position.
    Also check the neck action after the trem is settled again. I doubt it, but it might need a quarter turn or so on the truss rod. Specs are on the prs site.

Off topic but for what it's worth, I've gone from 9s to 9.5s on the SE, but downtuned to Eb with the 9.5s. This ended up with roughly the same string tension and no need to adjust anything on trem or rod.

jdag likes this.
  19. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

No need to go to 5. What you need to do is take the cover off the back that covers the trem cavity. Hose 4 springs are attached to a claw. The claw is mounted to the body with two screws. You need to tighten those screws a turn, or two. That will bring your trem back to level with the body.

dogrocketp, Boogie, jdag and 2 others like this.
  20. dkilpatrick

dkilpatrick Makes guitar faces

This ^

dogrocketp, bodia and jdag like this.