SE Mods

In the making I thought the SE line all had veneer tops, so how did you get that down to brae wood with out taking the figure off, and then there are the indentions for the knobs. How???

3518446623_0661596d57.jpg

3518447091_0ee8bfa4e4.jpg

3518447981_c604ddfbe4.jpg

3519258818_f24d4cb894.jpg

Zach Myers SE 2017 modded. This is my first PRS and loving it so far. Looking for honest opinions on the new pickup rings as I'm still kind of on the fence about them. New pickups (Seymour Duncan '59/Custom Hybrid at the bridge, Seymour Duncan Phat Cat oversized P90 at the neck), Tone Ninja wood pickup rings, and a cedar truss rod cover I made myself. Thoughts?

IMG_20171004_180832059.jpg

Last edited:
Zach Myers SE 2017 modded. This is my first PRS and loving it so far. Looking for honest opinions on the new pickup rings as I'm still kind of on the fence about them. New pickups (Seymour Duncan '59/Custom Hybrid at the bridge, Seymour Duncan Phat Cat oversized P90 at the neck), Tone Ninja wood pickup rings, and a cedar truss rod cover I made myself. Thoughts?

Lookin' good!

I finally was able to afford the SE Zach Myers and have had her for a week now. I cannot get the thing to stay in tune for anything. Less than a minute of playing and the thing is out of tune again. I've stretched the strings, replaced them twice with 10-46 NYXL D'Addario nickles and still same thing. Do you guys have the same issues? Is it the nut? From the paperwork it came with the same strings I put on it and it is a new guitar not second hand. It did have some QA issues, one tuning peg had both screws stripped out and the strap screws were as well. I fixed those with the old tooth pick glued into the stripped out holes and it works fine, no more stripped screws but its all the strings that go out of tune not just the one.
Any help would be appriciated, I am a 100 % service connected disabled vet so having money to ship it to PRS is out of the question, it took a year to afford my down pmtto buy it.
Thanks guys

Hi, do you have any tuning issues? Cant get mine to stay in tune for anything...

Although a little on the pricey side in comparison to alternatives, I just installed some MannMade USA (Jin-Ho Korea modded) Phase II style locking tuners for my 7-string. I e-mailed John to see if he'd do these for a 7 and he responded quickly with a link to buy a 7-string set. These originally came with large (regular) sized tuner buttons but they were too cramped for me on the 7 so I swapped the small buttons on the stock SE tuners on the Mann modified's and they look and function much better!

DQpzCzMXkAEdbK1.jpg
DQpzCzLW4AEl6ee.jpg

I finally was able to afford the SE Zach Myers and have had her for a week now. I cannot get the thing to stay in tune for anything. Less than a minute of playing and the thing is out of tune again. I've stretched the strings, replaced them twice with 10-46 NYXL D'Addario nickles and still same thing. Do you guys have the same issues? Is it the nut? From the paperwork it came with the same strings I put on it and it is a new guitar not second hand. It did have some QA issues, one tuning peg had both screws stripped out and the strap screws were as well. I fixed those with the old tooth pick glued into the stripped out holes and it works fine, no more stripped screws but its all the strings that go out of tune not just the one.
Any help would be appriciated, I am a 100 % service connected disabled vet so having money to ship it to PRS is out of the question, it took a year to afford my down pmtto buy it.
Thanks guys
The factory nut is cut for 9’s. Your 10’s are binding in the nut.

The factory nut is cut for 9’s. Your 10’s are binding in the nut.
actually, MOST SE's come with 9's EXCEPT possibly the semi hollow Zach Meyers? and one other? they come with 10's but thanks. This one actually comes with the exact strings that i replaced the factory originals with. I used a caliper on the originals (remember that was where the problem began not with the replacements). The G strings miked out to 9.998 and 45.89. that made them 10-46's. I went and checked PRs site and it does say 9's for most SE models, and then it says a few exceptions to that rule were 10's and the baritone of course heavier.. Actually just went back and looked again for Zach Meyers and even under history of guitars his is not mentioned.
Did they have a falling out?
Anyway, I used graphite in the slots and played with it yesterday (have only had it for a week). The graphite and restretching the strings seemed to help a lot so I did it again lol. now its stayed in tune for an hour, so the nut was definatly the issue. I might put the 8's back on and see if I can do ok with them but I have pretty thick fingers, my daughters call tehm "sausage fingers" lol.... Anyway, thanks for the reply if I have any more issues I'll come back n report them.

Last edited:
Hi

Can someone tell me if this works perfect in a SE Custom 24

PRS Phase II Locking Tuner Set, Nickel w/Ebony Button

https://store.guitarvaultusa.com/product_p/acc-4347.htm
Hi, I was looking at these myself but the PRS site in the q and A section said they would not work with my zachmeyers because of the size of the headstock. You might ask them first friend. If you have the same headstock I do then no they wont but Amazon has awesome locking tuners for 59 and 89 dollars that I think are better. Heres the links oh the grovers went down to 73 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002RX7JD4/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

the others and I like them better than the grovers are here : https://www.amazon.com/Hipshot-Grip...al-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1513029709&sr=1-17

those are hipshotsand they seem good so far. also some planet waves look nice and otheres there . There are miini's tha may fit better as well?

I just don't understand I have 6 PRS 3 are SE guitars have never had a tuning issue of any kind. all are stock

Hi, I was looking at these myself but the PRS site in the q and A section said they would not work with my zachmeyers because of the size of the headstock. You might ask them first friend. If you have the same headstock I do then no they wont but Amazon has awesome locking tuners for 59 and 89 dollars that I think are better. Heres the links oh the grovers went down to 73 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002RX7JD4/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

the others and I like them better than the grovers are here : https://www.amazon.com/Hipshot-Grip...al-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1513029709&sr=1-17

those are hipshotsand they seem good so far. also some planet waves look nice and otheres there . There are miini's tha may fit better as well?
I have Hipshot open back tuners on all of my SE's. I like the weight, and they're very high ratio. I would also have the nut replaced with the graph tech SE replacement nut. It's very cheap. And welcome, I think you bought a fine guitar in spite of your problems.

Anybody know if there are any kluson style tuners that would fit an SE245? I prefer the looks of kluson style tuners on a singlecut but would prefer to not have to drill out my headstock, if possible.

How did you do that without taking off the veneer?
Very carefully, I would presume. The veneer has got a little bit of thickness. It's not like it's paper thin. It's a real slice of wood. With some steam (or however PRS does it) it can be formed to the button holes and body contours.

Back