SE Mods

I tried every adjustable Stoptail bridge, and somehow the Schroeders won for me, with the locking studs. I even put locking studs on my 07 Mira, but left the aluminum bridge.

I finished up my SE Custom 24 7-String (for now), so here it is for all you SE modders!

Black lampshades and pickup mounting ring screws; alnico 5 magnet swap; rewired with core volume, CTS push/pull tone, and Super Switch to get 8 humbucker/single coil combinations; satin treatment on the neck.

A fun beast for sure!

WFO0gTFh.jpg

ZgldkBah.jpg

dA3Dgmoh.jpg

Hello, I'm new to the forum, I'm from Colombia and I bought one. PRS SE Custom 24 Year 2017
My idea is to make some modifications according to what I read in the forum what would change

https://ibb.co/iYdRAb

Pastillas
https://www.seymourduncan.com/pickup/slash-set

Security Lock
https://www.schaller-electronic.com...4010301.htm?ITServ=ogdqu1ooon2c8tbkpbgog8la9i

Machine Heads
https://www.schaller-electronic.com...0-05-50.htm?ITServ=eieku3qhdlrkq98on9mnlhsiop

Lampshade Knobs
https://us.prsaccessories.com/products/lampshade-knobs

I accept your recommendations

Welcome Williams. Before you remake the guitar, I`d suggest that you live with it for a month or so. You may find that very little needs to be changed to make it sound the way you want. You may also find that nothing needs to be changed, depending on how you play and what your ears hear. I like the idea of change for a reason. I think just changing may not make you happy in the end, if you don`t know why you did it. That beings said, I`ve modified all my SE`s. I`ve done different things to different guitars for a reason.

Welcome Williams. Before you remake the guitar, I`d suggest that you live with it for a month or so. You may find that very little needs to be changed to make it sound the way you want. You may also find that nothing needs to be changed, depending on how you play and what your ears hear. I like the idea of change for a reason. I think just changing may not make you happy in the end, if you don`t know why you did it. That beings said, I`ve modified all my SE`s. I`ve done different things to different guitars for a reason.

Two months ago I have the guitar and part of the changes refer to a sound that I want to get when it comes to seymour duncan

The pegs since in this short time I have noticed that it is quite often out of tune despite having been octavada the guitar and the other two changes are purely aesthetic

Two months ago I have the guitar and part of the changes refer to a sound that I want to get when it comes to seymour duncan

The pegs since in this short time I have noticed that it is quite often out of tune despite having been octavada the guitar and the other two changes are purely aesthetic

I put lampshades and Schaller strap locks on everything.

If you think the pickups will get the sound you want, then go for it.

Before replacing tuners, I recommend to replace the nut first. Most tuning issues are caused by problems with the nut slots.

Speaking of problematic nut slots, the nut on my SE7 needs to go. Also, I found out that Hipshot tuner buttons will fit the SE tuners, so I'm going to install a set of pearloid buttons to complement the birdies and to take a little weight off the headstock. Finally, I think I got the HFS/VB pickups dialed in about as good as they'll get, but the set doesn't quite work for me, so I have a pair of DiMarzio PAF 7 pickups on the way! Maybe then I'll be done. Maybe.

I put lampshades and Schaller strap locks on everything.

If you think the pickups will get the sound you want, then go for it.

Before replacing tuners, I recommend to replace the nut first. Most tuning issues are caused by problems with the nut slots.

Speaking of problematic nut slots, the nut on my SE7 needs to go. Also, I found out that Hipshot tuner buttons will fit the SE tuners, so I'm going to install a set of pearloid buttons to complement the birdies and to take a little weight off the headstock. Finally, I think I got the HFS/VB pickups dialed in about as good as they'll get, but the set doesn't quite work for me, so I have a pair of DiMarzio PAF 7 pickups on the way! Maybe then I'll be done. Maybe.

could you recommend a Nut please

Hi everyone I've really been enjoying this thread and thought I'd post my modded offerings

SE Bernie Marsden
Custom Ebony TRC
Bone Nut
Custom “J Birds in Flight” Fretboard Decals
Switchcraft Selector Switch
Tonerider Classic Alnico 4 Bridge Humbucker
Tonerider Classic Alnico 4 Neck Humbucker
Nickel Gotoh SD-90 HAP Machineheads (Height Adjustable Shafts)
Alminium ABM Wraparound Bridge
Push Pull Tone (Phase Reversal)
Spraque Hyrel .022 PIO Capacitor
Vintage Amber Bell Knobs
Switchcraft jack

SE Marty Friedman
Custom TRC
PRS Core nut
Chrome Selector Switch Tip
Axesrus Classic 50's Bridge Humbucker (Alnico 3)
Axetec Blues Engine Neck Humbucker (Alnico 4)
Cream PRS Core Pickup Surrounds
Push Pull Tones (Phase Reversal & Coil Shunt)
Spraque Hyrel .022 PIO Capacitors
Chrome Control Knobs
Switchcraft jack

SE Nick Catanese
(pickups swapped around for more clarity)
Custom Ebony TRC
PRS Core nut
EMG 85 Bridge Humbucker
EMG 81 Neck Humbucker
24 Volt Modification
Chrome Schroeder Adjustable Stoptail
TonePros metric locking studs
Custom Control Knobs
Switchcraft jack
Werewolf Custom Artwork

SE Santana
Custom Ebony TRC
Graphtec Nut
“Vintage Whisperer” Bridge Humbucker (Unoriented Alnico 5 8.5k) (6.0k Tapped)
“Vintage Whisperer” Neck Humbucker (Alnico 3) 7.3k (5.0k Tapped)
Rosewood Tuner Buttons
Push Pull Tone (Coil Shunt)
Spraque Hyrel .033 PIO Capacitor with 212k & 100K Resistors
Switchcraft jack

SE Soapbar
Custom Ebony TRC
Mallory .022 Capacitor
Switchcraft jack

SE Tremonti
Custom TRC
Bone Nut
Fuullmoon "Night Flight" Bridge Humbucker (Alnico 8) 12.2k (7.4k tapped)
Fullmoon "Night Flight" Neck Humbucker (Alnico 4) 8.7k (6.0k tapped)
Push Pull Tones (Phase Reversal & Coil Shunt) with 212k & 100K Resistors
Spraque Hyrel .022 PIO Capacitors
Switchcraft jack

SE Tremonti Custom
Custom TRC
PRS Core nut
Selector Switch Tip
PRS Core Pickup Surrounds
Clear Control Knobs

Fullmoon “Vintage Whisperer” & "Night Flight" are units made by myself and my son.

Generally I would say I am over the moon with the way these guitars have turned out. However as most of you know modding, like guitar collecting in general is a re-acurring habit. Last week I scored a beautiful 2006 Core CE 24 and fell in love with both the the pickups and the 5 way rotary switch, I have always loved the Dragon II pickups that are in the older CE22's and the day after the CE 4 turned up I snagged a complete set of Dragon II pickups, tone control and 5 way rotary switch for a little more than the price of a single Dragon II unit here in the UK (The whole thing cost me £145.00).

This leads me to my dilemma. I am thinking of rewiring the SE Tremonti so that it has the 5 way rotary harness and DII's.

For example =
Toggle switch rewired as kill switch or wiring removed completely
2 volume
1 tone
5 way switch

what do guys think of this idea and of the dragon II's in general.

Last edited:
The second one. I still prefer bone over anything else, however.
I've got a 2017 Zach Myers that I actually needed to have the bridge replaced on (loose saddle was buzzing), but the nut has been fine. I took some very fine (1200 grit) sandpaper and very gently pulled it through the slots just to smooth them, and combined with the stock tuners I have no tuning stability issues whatsoever. I actually bought some string lubricant to use on the nut in case I needed it/wanted to try it but I haven't needed it yet.

Back