SE Mods

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by slev, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Ovibos

Ovibos Unsure why all necks aren't rosewood

And selling me the 85/15s pups? Anyone have experience with the that?

2. Elliot

Elliot Gandalf the Vintage Yellow

Not a 2017

3. Smith

Smith New Member

On my Zack Myers I added Gotoh locking tuners, Tusq XL nut, SD 59 and JB pickups, StewMac Golden age treble bleed capacitors, and PRS truss rod cover

4. scrumpyc812

scrumpyc812 New Member

I just purchased an SE Custom 24 from Reverb.com; it shipped out today. I'd kind of like to replace the trem with a fixed bridge, but I don't know if that's feasible. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it even possible?

5. charliefrench

charliefrench New Member

Possible but a lot of work involved if you do not want your guitar to look like it has been butchered. Best to secure the trem block with a lump of wood in the rear cavity to prevent it from moving. Why didn't you simply buy a fixed bridge SE? There are many to choose from. If your ideal criteria is 24 frets with a non-trem bridge then a SE Mark Holcomb might be more suitable.

6. Big Eric Bee

Big Eric Bee New Member

Do a search on this site. A few folks have blocked the trem on their PRS guitars. http://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/has-anyone-blocked-a-tremelo-on-a-prs-guitar.1592/ This was the first thread I found.

I've blocked the trem on a Stratocaster in the past. I like the sound. Wood block wedge and all 5 springs. Might take a touch more work with a PRS since everything is set up to be floating. But it could be done.

I would not bother trying to install a stop tailpiece on the guitar. Just can't see that ending well.

7. Kabukiman

Kabukiman Entry level PRS owner

Block the trem. Are you handy with timber?

There are heaps of tutorials online. I assume it would work the same way as it does for strats

8. EminentKaos

EminentKaos New Member

I've got two 2016 SE Custom 22 models that I put tonepros wraparound bridges on and modded one to gold hardware (found some used gold SE tuners). They're keepers. My only PRS guitars but they're nice.

charliefrench and dogrocketp like this.
  9. grind

grind New Member

Hey bro, are these tunning key's with standard shaft?

I tested a set of sperzels here and they were short.

10. smsuperstrat73

smsuperstrat73 New Member

How do you like the Gotohs? How is their weight compared to the stock tuners? I've been searching for some locking tuners that fit the existing screw hole pattern and are not led weights like the Schallers I've used in the past. Love the Schallers smooth feel and accurate tuning but, hello neck dive.

11. dogrocketp

dogrocketp I drank the PRS kool aid, and it was tasty!

Hipshot open back locking tuners. On my 5 SE`s.

1stezekiel likes this.
  12. LTigh

LTigh New Member

This is the guitar what brought me back to the PRS/SE fold-- 2013 non-sparkly Orianthi.

Since I got her on the cheap, decided to do the John Mann upgrade kit on the bridge, install a core nut, and swap out the pups with a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates/'59 set I had lying around (well, not really-- I had an extra set in trembucker flavor, swapped it out for another set I had previously installed in a Schecter tele, and put the ones from the tele in the Orianthi. Pickup musical chairs, if you will).

First off, the MannMade USA upgrade kit is the freakin' bomb. I know there's a contingent what says that there's little difference between the import hardware and the core/Mann stuff, but the difference in both playability and tone can be measured in parsecs. All of the various upgrade parts pushed the performance of the stock import bridge way the hell beyond where it was, from the mounting screws to the springs to everything else. By far the smoothest action on any trem I've ever played, locking or otherwise, stays in tune no matter how much whammy-ing I put on her. Well, the core nut is probably a big part of that as well, but still. And the tones are a religious experience, even unplugged.

Guitar is a whole lot more resonant now, sustain lasts forever, and it's probably come the closest to the tones of a Core I've ever heard out of an SE or S2 (and I'm mostly using my friend's 10-Top as a point of reference).

Plus the tech guy I use now that my free time has gone to nearly zero was so impressed that he's gonna recommend the Mann upgrade to anyone who brings in an SE or S2-- besides being a painless install, the huge amount of improvement makes it well worth the $150 if you buy from Guitar Vault USA.

Right, so enough with the gushing about John Mann, here's pics.

[​IMG]
    Discontinued model is discontinued.

[​IMG]
    Semour'd.

[​IMG]
    Core'd.

[​IMG]
    Mann'd.

Here she is with another PRS what popped up-- a slightly abused 2014 Marty Friedman. Probably gonna swap out the pups (previous owner put TWO JBs in her, neck is a trembucker for some reason. Got a Jazz sitting around, so maybe musical pups again with the TB-4 in the bridge). It's gonna get the other core nut from the PRS two-for nut package (heh), trying to talk myself out of a Mann stoptail for her, but after what happened with the Orianthi it's been a hard sell to NOT drop another $175 for the Mann.

EDIT: Welp, I dropped ducats for the Mann stop-tail. And it's apparently $150 for the SE/S2 version.
    [​IMG]

P.S. Thanks to @sergiodeblanc for putting the bug in my ear on TGP with regards to the Orianthi.

#972 LTigh, Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  13. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Love John, and his stuff. Truly top notch! Nice upgrades!

dogrocketp, Andyp and grind like this.
  14. smsuperstrat73

I have a Mann trem in strat I built, and its amazing. I was looking at the upgrade kit, but was concerned about the knife edges of the stock plate. I think it's only $75 more for the complete bridge and then you get the stainless arm that has a little more beef then the spindly stock one. I'm still on the fence, but I'm appreciating your feedback and taking it to heart on the upgrade kit.

grind likes this.
  15. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc Get in, loser, we’re going shopping.

Hey buddy! Good to see you made your way over here.

grind and dogrocketp like this.
  16. dogrocketp

dogrocketp I drank the PRS kool aid, and it was tasty!

The Mann MilCom Trem is great. I put one in my SE CU 24.I`m very happy wth the sound and the silky feel.

grind and sergiodeblanc like this.
  17. shamishred

shamishred New Member

I have a 30th Anniversary Custom 24 that I have modded in a few ways. :) I added Schaller tuning machines (with ebony buttons), swapped the pickups to EMGs 57/66s (with a solderless wiring kit) and made a custom truss rod cover (my first attempt ever so I definitely learned a lot ^^). I also swapped the knobs to ebony ones since I took the below photos. I'd like to get some ebony pickup rings & an ebony switch tip some day.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

grausch, dogrocketp, Andyp and 8 others like this.
  18. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Nice upgrades! Looks good!

shamishred likes this.
  19. smsuperstrat73

Can't see your pictures for some reason??? Like the description am curious how it looks.

20. Big Eric Bee

Big Eric Bee New Member

Nope. Not showing up on my computer. Just tried 3 different browsers and nothing. On two of them, the photos appear to be there due to the size, but are not showing. If that makes sense.