SE Mods

On my Zack Myers I added Gotoh locking tuners, Tusq XL nut, SD 59 and JB pickups, StewMac Golden age treble bleed capacitors, and PRS truss rod cover

I just purchased an SE Custom 24 from Reverb.com; it shipped out today. I'd kind of like to replace the trem with a fixed bridge, but I don't know if that's feasible. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it even possible?

Possible but a lot of work involved if you do not want your guitar to look like it has been butchered. Best to secure the trem block with a lump of wood in the rear cavity to prevent it from moving. Why didn't you simply buy a fixed bridge SE? There are many to choose from. If your ideal criteria is 24 frets with a non-trem bridge then a SE Mark Holcomb might be more suitable.

Do a search on this site. A few folks have blocked the trem on their PRS guitars. http://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/has-anyone-blocked-a-tremelo-on-a-prs-guitar.1592/ This was the first thread I found.

I've blocked the trem on a Stratocaster in the past. I like the sound. Wood block wedge and all 5 springs. Might take a touch more work with a PRS since everything is set up to be floating. But it could be done.

I would not bother trying to install a stop tailpiece on the guitar. Just can't see that ending well.

I just purchased an SE Custom 24 from Reverb.com; it shipped out today. I'd kind of like to replace the trem with a fixed bridge, but I don't know if that's feasible. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it even possible?

Block the trem. Are you handy with timber?

There are heaps of tutorials online. I assume it would work the same way as it does for strats

I've got two 2016 SE Custom 22 models that I put tonepros wraparound bridges on and modded one to gold hardware (found some used gold SE tuners). They're keepers. My only PRS guitars but they're nice.

Hey bro, are these tunning key's with standard shaft?

I tested a set of sperzels here and they were short.

PRS Mike Mushok SE Baritone

Mods List:
Schaller M6 lockint Tuners
Di Marzio Air Norton DP193 (Bridge)/Di Marzio 36th Anniversary Bridge DP223 (Neck) (Ibanez style wiring)
CTS Pots
5 Way Allparts Superswitch
ESP LTD F-50 Black Metal Knobs

Pics:
DSC00569.jpg

DSC00570.jpg

DSC00571.jpg

I managed to take more pictures of my SCTs today, with some better lighting and with clear knobs to go with royal blue :)

BD4F09EE-831D-4994-ACF8-431D00ECF4E6_zpsdyedzmux.jpg

1F466B2B-32B7-47AB-AE55-AD548D10D85F_zpscznlipk5.jpg

A7277922-967D-4D83-9513-DE9997792F94_zpsqwzfvt67.jpg

84F0D3FE-AE53-4FA7-B75D-77E66C2D8ED2_zpszuzqwsvl.jpg

83EB2B98-65D4-4E6B-B5A5-D2A55A07697A_zpsmfxetgul.jpg

8B40485D-281D-4F65-870D-C145E5ECDAFB_zpsv6t3enjj.jpg

BF84E86D-B969-463D-A0B2-72C359C65F28_zpsmi8dfvau.jpg

I also have the ratty 2011 SE Singlecut (no trem) and a 2001 Santana SE (which needs a new trem badly) to fix up. Will be sharing those when I get around to them.
How do you like the Gotohs? How is their weight compared to the stock tuners? I've been searching for some locking tuners that fit the existing screw hole pattern and are not led weights like the Schallers I've used in the past. Love the Schallers smooth feel and accurate tuning but, hello neck dive.

This is the guitar what brought me back to the PRS/SE fold-- 2013 non-sparkly Orianthi.

Since I got her on the cheap, decided to do the John Mann upgrade kit on the bridge, install a core nut, and swap out the pups with a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates/'59 set I had lying around (well, not really-- I had an extra set in trembucker flavor, swapped it out for another set I had previously installed in a Schecter tele, and put the ones from the tele in the Orianthi. Pickup musical chairs, if you will).

First off, the MannMade USA upgrade kit is the freakin' bomb. I know there's a contingent what says that there's little difference between the import hardware and the core/Mann stuff, but the difference in both playability and tone can be measured in parsecs. All of the various upgrade parts pushed the performance of the stock import bridge way the hell beyond where it was, from the mounting screws to the springs to everything else. By far the smoothest action on any trem I've ever played, locking or otherwise, stays in tune no matter how much whammy-ing I put on her. Well, the core nut is probably a big part of that as well, but still. And the tones are a religious experience, even unplugged.

Guitar is a whole lot more resonant now, sustain lasts forever, and it's probably come the closest to the tones of a Core I've ever heard out of an SE or S2 (and I'm mostly using my friend's 10-Top as a point of reference).

Plus the tech guy I use now that my free time has gone to nearly zero was so impressed that he's gonna recommend the Mann upgrade to anyone who brings in an SE or S2-- besides being a painless install, the huge amount of improvement makes it well worth the $150 if you buy from Guitar Vault USA.

Right, so enough with the gushing about John Mann, here's pics.

IMG_20170325_111941859_zpsj4smnscj.jpg

Discontinued model is discontinued.

IMG_20170325_112011253_zpsy6mzgzif.jpg

Semour'd.

IMG_20170325_112036868_zpstgozszll.jpg

Core'd.

IMG_20170325_112202099_zpszivmxod9.jpg

Mann'd.

Here she is with another PRS what popped up-- a slightly abused 2014 Marty Friedman. Probably gonna swap out the pups (previous owner put TWO JBs in her, neck is a trembucker for some reason. Got a Jazz sitting around, so maybe musical pups again with the TB-4 in the bridge). It's gonna get the other core nut from the PRS two-for nut package (heh), trying to talk myself out of a Mann stoptail for her, but after what happened with the Orianthi it's been a hard sell to NOT drop another $175 for the Mann.

EDIT: Welp, I dropped ducats for the Mann stop-tail. And it's apparently $150 for the SE/S2 version.
IMG_20170325_112501586_zpss982ep9y.jpg

P.S. Thanks to @sergiodeblanc for putting the bug in my ear on TGP with regards to the Orianthi.

Last edited:
This is the guitar what brought me back to the PRS/SE fold-- 2013 non-sparkly Orianthi.

Since I got her on the cheap, decided to do the John Mann upgrade kit on the bridge, install a core nut, and swap out the pups with a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates/'59 set I had lying around (well, not really-- I had an extra set in trembucker flavor, swapped it out for another set I had previously installed in a Schecter tele, and put the ones from the tele in the Orianthi. Pickup musical chairs, if you will).

First off, the MannMade USA upgrade kit is the freakin' bomb. I know there's a contingent what says that there's little difference between the import hardware and the core/Mann stuff, but the difference in both playability and tone can be measured in parsecs. All of the various upgrade parts pushed the performance of the stock import bridge way the hell beyond where it was, from the mounting screws to the springs to everything else. By far the smoothest action on any trem I've ever played, locking or otherwise, stays in tune no matter how much whammy-ing I put on her. Well, the core nut is probably a big part of that as well, but still. And the tones are a religious experience, even unplugged.

Guitar is a whole lot more resonant now, sustain lasts forever, and it's probably come the closest to the tones of a Core I've ever heard out of an SE or S2 (and I'm mostly using my friend's 10-Top as a point of reference).

Plus the tech guy I use now that my free time has gone to nearly zero was so impressed that he's gonna recommend the Mann upgrade to anyone who brings in an SE or S2-- besides being a painless install, the huge amount of improvement makes it well worth the $150 if you buy from Guitar Vault USA.

Semour'd.

Core'd.

Mann'd.

Here she is with another PRS what popped up-- a slightly abused 2014 Marty Friedman. Probably gonna swap out the pups (previous owner put TWO JBs in her, neck is a trembucker for some reason. Got a Jazz sitting around, so maybe musical pups again with the TB-4 in the bridge). It's gonna get the other core nut from the PRS two-for nut package (heh), trying to talk myself out of a Mann stoptail for her, but after what happened with the Orianthi it's been a hard sell to NOT drop another $175 for the Mann.

P.S. Thanks to @sergiodeblanc for putting the bug in my ear on TGP with regards to the Orianthi.

Love John, and his stuff. Truly top notch! Nice upgrades!

Semour'd.

Core'd.

Mann'd.

I have a Mann trem in strat I built, and its amazing. I was looking at the upgrade kit, but was concerned about the knife edges of the stock plate. I think it's only $75 more for the complete bridge and then you get the stainless arm that has a little more beef then the spindly stock one. I'm still on the fence, but I'm appreciating your feedback and taking it to heart on the upgrade kit.

Semour'd.

Core'd.

Mann'd.

Hey buddy! Good to see you made your way over here.

I have a 30th Anniversary Custom 24 that I have modded in a few ways. :) I added Schaller tuning machines (with ebony buttons), swapped the pickups to EMGs 57/66s (with a solderless wiring kit) and made a custom truss rod cover (my first attempt ever so I definitely learned a lot ^^). I also swapped the knobs to ebony ones since I took the below photos. I'd like to get some ebony pickup rings & an ebony switch tip some day.
2db1bpd.jpg

k474hx.jpg

4ufnue.jpg

I have a 30th Anniversary Custom 24 that I have modded in a few ways. :) I added Schaller tuning machines (with ebony buttons), swapped the pickups to EMGs 57/66s (with a solderless wiring kit) and made a custom truss rod cover (my first attempt ever so I definitely learned a lot ^^). I also swapped the knobs to ebony ones since I took the below photos. I'd like to get some ebony pickup rings & an ebony switch tip some day.
2db1bpd.jpg

k474hx.jpg

4ufnue.jpg

Nice upgrades! Looks good!

2017 SE Ltd Edition Custom 22 Semi-Hollow Zebrawood.

I decided I didn't like the Amber knobs when as soon as the guitar arrived so i replaced them with Gold Speed knobs instead.

I then thought that some brushed pickup covers would look much better than the stock Zebra pickups. For anyone interested, I bought some raw nickel covers, polished them up, then brushed them using 3M pads to get the subtle brush effect. (worth noting on the S85/15 pickups the pole spacing is 50mm on both neck and bridge pickups)

I think the only other mod I may do will be to fit some locking tuners. Not sure it'll make much difference with a fixed bridge though.

lkux7cdul9tsLhn4BaT1x0TMLy8B2uaQH3jB-BEa4DDlUVO6BlXCpi794CaY5hlvC7vsEioE56bMQ4-GhAHlW1fdwXJJzwr6R6gG6KYW1AayJbNiozb-SDqQsT7i2DVTpvY_Yd6hlhiAK2xVtZklaFj2ekF5TaSpcVZ4hb22bc8TbtSZvan5EDy9ERoX7MrIIwm4noib5F01mmMxe0D4qIJFPwB6Zj5iJKBNIjNtl9zgAKZYYmnjYafkhal8M1Xx36XNnAgxQTbrZ3FnMuq5V6nYWEnDkMZnFXujLSOVqjdFbEyD-JxUFKFk7HjoIhwosyJNFG13oz37WxTeqR9V-UffOwSkqwejpUWzlolkxHVbgBICuhxnww4z6yPLeyn5ShwWFB-4oC8PK4Z1sJpZbNR37TLEfFXJSmiNLtshNkMOcBspAyxpYgdIZXPXHMP6WcdrLw2VixYS36miImhkyakb9aFJqev1qHbPbfItuPp_jqHf-X3J8-px26GRHCEj5URNS6AYuXdm-5dAFDkt_fMHAY7LN2s2nMfIQN6kTu0qkZqEFGojeynPoJdjxdQH0O9f4EaQWqjmJ5acTv8MR02ol2q5l8Ne9xIWVUhDKJOkzNOYXU8L=w1293-h969-no
SVQpBAhHozvpmzRDEF9Eb38o26U1TGkKBhm0qp2kEXeDnMHqPzRYdpH8Rz47qn3ESaoBTPJ3qJmCXfS6kBHT7fYWvNj1tClVRQSgMq-MqaDgoIFmXUrGjoeGHMzh-gtBTwcJQRX09awP1OOcTjUB-u1bWpkqu8NjArT_NFxW6-WxntSt5gjiLyTCYe13ObffbFgg6o7PQIbvUZbwxurMVs-efIBwoJdunaQrbc8d1VGJJWU5MgUCp_odacZMsUmfKABVdUknCMWrz6JdEbNIZrniOaEabu-8sRioxP8vjHXKob8HILOYbcuk8cci-hNKDSFsCQkiRMOV38Y-dgKUgqChzGiIjpL1FvU7dvm-aR3mUff38sCif1prhGB6dCoZBb4ebXYyDx8vGGWVxnvHwxmiXVlCxsg0faps8xnavlUDnBLMO7e9GDkjhpDiNazY78Gcbzvz4SPCS63Kw4DWLgEO30oEuVk_BWWxnTKK4q0fzrpFAszgzTqsizJgLZwzY8-85_pj-BEJgt8yXTvzkmG50Z38J2r4GRKKT6fTHc9tP57V1RSJ5-4hK3ablgJUpTQWm-u-efjNCMUUkA4msrGe7B7kfHcHTPadjXBMc8M4Hhkz=w1293-h969-no
Can't see your pictures for some reason??? Like the description am curious how it looks.

I can see the pics on every device I view here on. I assume others can see them?

Nope. Not showing up on my computer. Just tried 3 different browsers and nothing. On two of them, the photos appear to be there due to the size, but are not showing. If that makes sense.

Back